TKR June TKR newbie

I am using something to pull...a sheet wrapped around my foot because pt told me to do that.
You should never use anything to force your knee to bend beyond what your muscles do on their own. You are keeping your knee inflamed, swollen and painful. This is setting your recovery back and is no help at all. Change your PT or quit going. She's doing you more harm than good. She has not been trained for the latest way to rehab a joint replacement.
My PT told me it was ok to use something to hold my leg in place when I did a heel slide--that way I could hold the position while relaxing the muscles. But not to use a sheet or anything to *pull.*

I would be open to massage but normally I hate massages...I know I am weird. Most people love them but I think they hurt. Last one I had I was sore for a week afterwards! I will speak to the dr about it tomorrow when I see him. Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Hi Disney Mom and I hope your name means you love Disney World as much as I do!!

I am a Therapeutic Massage Therapist and Certified in Manual Lymphatic Drainage Massage. I would suggest that you try to find a blend of those modalities..or a blend of therapeutic with energy work or oncology... it's powerful when you find a therapist who can to a mixture of both. well, it is, in my opinion. Therapeutic doesn't mean deep tissue, it means that we are trained to ease into the muscles and follow the insertions and attachments and help with inflammation. At least this is how I view it. I LOVE when a new client calls and asks me about my technique and pressure philosophies..
It makes me sad to hear that your experiences haven't been good ones.. I can relate, I'v had sessions like that and just so you know, you are allowed to end a session at any time. It's your right. If there's something I can do to help you find a good fit for you, I'd be happy to help.
My suggestion is to call offices, ones that are sole practitioners and talk to them and tell them your concerns. I think it will go much better for you.

I would be open to massage but normally I hate massages...I know I am weird. Most people love them but I think they hurt. Last one I had I was sore for a week afterwards! I will speak to the dr about it tomorrow when I see him. Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Hi Disney Mom and I hope your name means you love Disney World as much as I do!!

I am a Therapeutic Massage Therapist and Certified in Manual Lymphatic Drainage Massage. I would suggest that you try to find a blend of those modalities..or a blend of therapeutic with energy work or oncology... it's powerful when you find a therapist who can to a mixture of both. well, it is, in my opinion. Therapeutic doesn't mean deep tissue, it means that we are trained to ease into the muscles and follow the insertions and attachments and help with inflammation. At least this is how I view it. I LOVE when a new client calls and asks me about my technique and pressure philosophies..
It makes me sad to hear that your experiences haven't been good ones.. I can relate, I'v had sessions like that and just so you know, you are allowed to end a session at any time. It's your right. If there's something I can do to help you find a good fit for you, I'd be happy to help.
My suggestion is to call offices, ones that are sole practitioners and talk to them and tell them your concerns. I think it will go much better for you.
I definitely LOVE Disney...more than most for sure. Last time I was there in December for the Christmas party and I couldn't even ride Splash because the seat really bothered my knee...that ride was the worst one for me at Disney and caused a great deal of pain because I couldn't bend my knee...this was before my surgery of course. Anyway...cant wait to go back but not for a while. I would definitely be interested in some kind of therapeutic massage. I guess that is what i should look for. Went back to see surgeon today for follow up visit. He said he thinks my hip will just get better on its own wo doing anything and doesn't think therapy would help it. He said my knee looks great though and i am doing fine w that

Does anyone have pain in their tight and entire leg? Like when I do heel pulls the muscles in my thigh really ache. Even just massaging them myself they are very sore. I know right after surgery and for a bit it is sore because of the surgery itself but this isn't the same.
I am constantly rubbing the muscles all up and down my though. My calf is the other really sore area.

Does anyone have pain in their tight and entire leg? Like when I do heel pulls the muscles in my thigh really ache. Even just massaging them myself they are very sore. I know right after surgery and for a bit it is sore because of the surgery itself but this isn't the same.
I am constantly rubbing the muscles all up and down my though. My calf is the other really sore area.
At least we know we aren't the only ones right?

How is going up and down the stairs for everyone? At PT yesterday therapist said I needed to start working on going foot over foot and not 1 foot at a time like I have been doing. I know before surgery steps were a problem especially going down. I looked deformed doing it for sure. She wants me to work on this without moving my hip out weird like as that is wrong. Anyway..it is super hard and I am not very successful. Anyone else?

Stairs are hard for a while. Personally I think it’s too early to be “working on it.” Give it a try when you feel ready, but don’t overdo it. If it hurts, wait another week a try again. You’ll be able to do them in time.

As with everything in this slow recovery, there is no rush. It seems as if too many PTs want/expect us to recover everything, right now. This recovery takes time, and that timeframe is different for each of us. You don’t have to adhere to anyone else’s arbitrary, cookie cutter, same for everyone, schedule.

I think trying the steps foot over the foot is too early for you, too. You will probably find that going up that way will be easier than coming down. It took me at least a month longer to come down foot over foot than it did going up. Even now, I always hold on to the rails. It's so much better to be safe than to fall down those steps!

I had my tkr 8 weeks ago. I also have some hip pain, and I believe it is my IT Band or Iliotibial band. I have had IT band tightness off and on throughout my life. My pain starts high behind my hip, to my hip, then down the outside of my thigh. The pain is the worse at my hip though and has been there a few weeks. I use a heating pad under my hip in the middle of the night when it wakes me up (use low setting and make sure heating pad has auto shut off), it is sometimes the only way I can get back to sleep.
I told my PT guy where my pain was, and he did some massaging in my hip area, it was tender while he did it but was worth it. It helped into the next day. There are some stretches for IT bands, maybe ask your PT if they have any suggestions.

I had my tkr 8 weeks ago. I also have some hip pain, and I believe it is my IT Band or Iliotibial band. I have had IT band tightness off and on throughout my life. My pain starts high behind my hip, to my hip, then down the outside of my thigh. The pain is the worse at my hip though and has been there a few weeks. I use a heating pad under my hip in the middle of the night when it wakes me up (use low setting and make sure heating pad has auto shut off), it is sometimes the only way I can get back to sleep.
I told my PT guy where my pain was, and he did some massaging in my hip area, it was tender while he did it but was worth it. It helped into the next day. There are some stretches for IT bands, maybe ask your PT if they have any suggestions.
Yeah I think it is that and other stuff too. I honestly think the cpm machine messed it up some but I also walked with a terrible limp for a long.time before the surgery. Now i am really trying to walk evenly although it isnt always correct. I went to a chiropractor today who has had a similar issue in the past. He adjusted some and also told me to ice my buttock and hip...not to use heat. Sure hope he is able to help some because this really stinks.

Just an update. My pt measured my knee bend a couple of weeks ago at 95 and it hurt. I have been concerned it hasn't been getting better and possibly even worse. I asked her to measure today and on my own got it to 109!!! I was so surprised and relieved to see some progress. I felt so much better today after leaving therapy. I told a couple of people but the people who have had this experience appreciate this way more than the average person. Still having the hip pain. Today was my 2nd chiro visit. Sure hope that goes away soon so I can at least sit down wo pain.

Great improvement. Time to celebrate as all improvements need to be celebrated. It will come with time and patience which is so hard when one wants it NOW. I hope your back eases up. Have a peaceful night.

Great improvement. Time to celebrate as all improvements need to be celebrated. It will come with time and patience which is so hard when one wants it NOW. I hope your back eases up. Have a peaceful night.
Thank you! I agree...everything needs to be celebrated!

Awesome news on the 109! :friends:
You can "work on" doing steps foot over foot by starting with trying ONE a day. That's what I did--one step the "normal" way. I started with up only. Down was too hard at first. Even at a couple of months when I could do "up" pretty well, "down" was a challenge.
But I got there and you're getting there. :thumb:

Good advice about one step at a time! Does anyone else have a hard time sitting in a chair like with your legs down? My legs start aching pretty fast and only feels better when elevating. Like sitting at a table or on the sofa. Of course for me with my right hip/buttock pain, sitting is painful anyway. Been to the chiropractor twice. First time I felt a little better right away. This time though I feel like it got worse and has stayed that way although it was only 2 days ago. This is starting to wear me down.

I had trouble for a long time sitting with my feet on the floor!

I had trouble for a long time sitting with my feet on the floor!
What is this issue? Its like all the blood in my body rushes to my lower leg and it aches. I dont get it.

I don’t know either, but it’s really uncomfortable! Eventually it eases up.

I can't sleep on my side yet as it makes my knee ache so sleep only on my back. When I wake up...multiple times normally...anyway, my entire leg is sore and heavy and stiff. I do several ankle pumps and circles before trying to get up. Does anyone else have this issue? Seems strange that even my shoulder and arm on that side also ache...like I am laying flat on my back and not really moving so why does that entire side ache? Am I crazy or does anyone else have these issues?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom