June 2012 - Are You Having Knee Surgery In June?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many things that I can endure, but losing my sense of humor is not one of them. If I'm able to give myself and others a giggle or two, I'm a happy girl. I did write several entries in a blog during my recovery in 2005. Not sure if links are allowed, but I would be happy to share my not so reverent observations.:secretaea:

Links to a personal blog are just fine. You can put it in your signature if you like.

Well, I won't be having a knee replacement in June or anytime soon. The doc wants me to loose 30 pounds minimum first and with my stomach condition, I'm not sure that will happen. Every 4-5 hours I have to eat and in the evening or at night it consists of pudding and ice cream. Those two things I don't vomit up during the night. Anything else just comes up. Also, I have a bad tooth that should probably come out before the surgery. I also have cronic UTIs and those are bad for infection getting into the blood. You all have been warned that you may have to have antibiotics before and after any major dental work for the rest of your lives, right? I have a whole list of complications that I would have to watch out for for the rest of my life. My surgeon said that since I am already bone on bone, the pain won't get any worse. I'm already maxed out on the pain since my knees not only grind back and forth but also slip sideways. I also have fibromyalgia and that complicates things too. All the doctors say that they can't promise they would be able to get me off the narcotic pain relievers either. So, if I am as far into the pain as I'll go, I can hold out for awhile yet. If I were a young woman, I'd maybe be tempted to go through with it anyway. But I'm old so I think I can struggle through awhile yet. Good luck everyone. Hope things go well for you.

I am having Total Knee Replacement on Monday, June 18th. My knee doesn't hurt right now(it could be because of a cortizone shot 3 months ago) so it is hard to want the surgery! Does anyone have suggestions about things to have on hand (compression machine) etc. for when I return from the hospital?

Hello, JMacKay, and welcome to the forum. We are happy you have joined us. Please start your own thread in the knee replacement pre op area. You will see a blue oblong with "New Thread"--when you click on it, it will open a dialogue box. You determine a title and then proceed to tell us a little about yourself.

The advantage of having your own thread is there is a place for you to express your concerns and ask your questions, and all us other BoneSmarties can find you to post to. We have lots of info to share with you, and it's best put in your own thread.

Looking forward to your first post in your thread

So glad to be back, I missed you all. Had my left knee done June. Da I can't remember the date, I have so much of medicane in me. I do know I had some wonderful people on the date with me. I think it was Envening of the June 5th. So I do know I have fellow sisters and maybe brothers out there. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:

I had my rtk on the 14th. I should go home tomorrow. I am already amazed at how strong my knee feels. It is in alignment for the first time in a long time. All of us here are making a good choice to get this done!

Got another postponement - I'm off the June list, that's for sure :sigh:.

I had my rtk on the 14th. I should go home tomorrow. I am already amazed at how strong my knee feels. It is in alignment for the first time in a long time. All of us here are making a good choice to get this done!

Why don't you start a new thread about your recovery over in the Knee Recovery Section? That way we can keep up with how you are doing and what is going on with your recovery.

ai1254.photobucket.com_albums_hh616_olga_soleil_osd_sun_icon_.jpg
Welcome June Sunbeams!!

If you're having surgery in the month of June, I hope you'll join our June Sunbeams for a bright start to your life with your new joint!

Your fellow Sunbeams will help you along the way with warm hugs and lots of support!

We have found that surgery and recovery is easier if you have a group of folks who are going through similar experiences.
I am having my right knee replaced in two days! june 20th I had my left knee replaced in dec.17th 2009. I know what to expect this time. I'll be glad when it's all done.

Smokey, welcome to the forum. So pleased to have you join us here. Please start your own thread--and since surgery is so close--just do it in the recovery area. This way you have your own area to tell us about your self, give us updates regarding your recovery, ask questions about your recovery, and all us BoneSmarties have a place to respond directly to you and your concerns. Please use the Library--there are wonderful articles about recovery; and although you've had this surgery before, it's been a while and it never hurts to refresh your knowledge on the subject. Yes, the waiting is the hard part even if you know what to expect. But it won't be long now. Take care of yourself and keep us posted. We care.

I can't remember if I posted, I had my left knee done June 5th. So glad its over and now I can start working on recover. I know i am very early after surgrey but one day at a time. Right. So put me on that map for June 5th so I can find out who else got the lucky day. I know I could look but Right now I am so full of pain medicine. I am not really sure of the date. Well both new knees now and many millions miles to go. :puppysmooze: Tashia:friends:

I'm having bilateral TKR's on Monday, June 25th. Just two more days! I'm so glad I found this site.

I'm an RN who works in home care. I've probably taken care of a few hundred post-knee replacement patients in my 20 years working in home health care. I KNOW how well most folks do. I KNOW I have a wonderful surgeon. I KNOW this is the right thing to do. (especially after being off my ibuprofen the last week....I guess it WAS helping a bit! :) )

But I'm starting to get anxious. I'm thinking about all of the potential problems. There's a part of me that is convinced that I will be the one who develops the complications. I know this isn't rational--it's the anxiety speaking---but the thoughts are there, nonetheless. I'm starting to think I'm nuts for having both knees done at the same time; I'm too young (49); etc. Shoot---I'm even worried that my house is a mess---because my home care therapist and RN will be people I work with!!! They'll find out that I'm not Suzy Homemaker!! (of course, a big part of the problem is 50-hour work weeks, a housekeeping-impaired hubby and 13-year-old daughter, and the biggest factor, my knee pain!)

Anyway, I know these are normal pre-op jitters. I'm so glad I found such a positive, supportive site. Too many of them are completely depressing!! Humor and faith are my best friends. My hubby, daughter, and the rest of my family are all rooting for me. I'm looking forward to all the things I'll be able to do again in the months to come. I know I'll be checking in here often when I'm recovering. Good luck to everyone!!

The best to all of the June Sunbeams! :thumb:

JUNE SURGERY LIST

Add Cflower to June 27

Week 1

June 1 Blakqueen (Kim)
June 1 Jacky48
June 4 Lori
June 4 Janet2012 (Janet)
June 5 Vicledsome

Week 2
June 6 Reetpteet
June 7 Coniglietta