June 2012 - Are You Having Knee Surgery In June?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Katheryn, welcome to BoneSmart! Why don't you start a thread of your own and tell us a bit more about yourself. We love getting to know our members.

I want to thank you all for being so helpful with your advice and information. I have been doing a lot of reading and have found that CPM machines are not universally used because there is a lack of evidence to support the use of these machines. Also, you all talk about the machine as if you use it laying down. Have any of you used it sitting up? I'm pretty sure my one and only friend who has had a TKR used it sitting up. Is there a site where I can go to check on my doctor's experience and patient rating? One last thing... is this the time to nag my husband about getting a/c and a cable TV in the bedroom? :dancy: :th_heehee: :hysterical: :yahoo::ThankYou:

Air conditioning and cable television in the bedroom? YES!!!

You could use the CPM while sitting in bed with pillows behind your back if that was comfortable for you. It really doesn't matter whether you are up a bit or lying down. I was in a hospital bed using mine and had the back elevated so I was sort of sitting up.

Oh, ok. .. a little about me. I live in Southern Maine and work as an Academic and College Counselor for grades 11 and 12 in a large high school. My knee (s) have been cranky for a few years and last April I did a simple tweak getting into my car. Downhill ever since and now I have necrosis in my knee. The mental part for me at the moment is kicking my butt.

Katheryn.....your story sounds just like mine!!! My knee went downhill very quickly following arthroscopic surgery and I got AVN. I was scared to DEATH that all my joints were going to go! This was before I had found BoneSmart, of course.

It does take a bit of time to come to terms with the fact that part of your body is diseased enough to require replacement. But....this is really good surgery that gives you your life back. It's the only way....so try to focus on the great things you're going to be able to do after recovery.

June Surgery List
Updated May 24th

Week 1
June 1 Blakqueen (Kim)
June 1 Jacky48
June 1 Katheryn

Week 2
June 4 Lori
June 4 Janet2012 (Janet)

June 4 NHMEDIC
June 5 Vicledsome
June 5 MaryGrace

June 6 Reetpteet
June 7 Coniglietta
[FONT=&quot]
June 7 Gamecock

Week 3
June 11 JoyWest
June 11 Susu
June 13 drnscr
June 14 jmps
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
Week 4
June 18 MsScarlett
June 18 carolinagirl

June 20 Dog_Lover (Lisa)
[/FONT]June 23 Phoenixx29

Week 5
June 27 Redbedhead (Anna)
June 27 cwaye (Charles)
June 27 Cflower

Wow!!! What a month!!!! This is one time we really DO need a list to keep everyone straight!

So, got a letter this morning that my date has been pushed out by 10 days. 23rd of June now. Oh well, have to reset my countdown.

Phoenixx, that's a bummer! More time to worry, which no one needs when you get this close!:scratch:

So, got a letter this morning that my date has been pushed out by 10 days. 23rd of June now. Oh well, have to reset my countdown.
Hello and welcome

I am having BTKR just a few days before you (20th) and I know how you feel. I am very anxious as well. I find during the day I am confident and ready to take it on but at night or very early morning when I can't sleep the thought of not being independent and having to rely on others (not to mention pain, fear of anesthesia and fear of complications) scares me beyond belief.

But we will get through it because we have to and I think a few months down the road we will be very happy that we did.

Hang in there and use the support of this group to get through.

Lisa

I updated the June list and changed you to the 23rd. My calendar shows that is a Saturday. Does your OS do surgeries on Saturday usually?

I am scheduled for June 1. I am totally terrified. I go to Joint replacement boot camp tomorrow. It all seems so soon.

Don't be terrified! We will help you through this procedure---from pre-op, post-op, and recovery---and beyond.

Many of us were also nervous of what might lay ahead, but I, and others were also excited to get two new knees---and to get a new lifestyle---I was tired of being hampered by what my knees determined I could do.

You will be--honestly---tremendously surprised at how great you feel when you are fully recovered.

Blessings for Sunbeams! And for all the brave ones who have gone before us! My LTKR is June 5th :yay:

I tried from my iPad but it wouldn't work and had to fire up the old laptop. Just in case that's what you're using.

Not long see you on the other side :friends:

Hi again,
No I dont have an iPad but my son thinks I have a "bug" in the laptop :( still not to worry, being able to write on here is better than looking at my ugly mug everytime I log in lol.
I have a little concern which I am wondering if anyone else has encountered. I am going in on June 7th for TKR on one knee, dont know which one yet as both need doing and my surgeon wont do both.
This has left me wondering if I will be able to heal up properly since I dont have a good leg to compensate whilst my new knee is behaving/misbehaving etc., my legs are very bent and the pain is extremely bad at times (dont we all know that.....) and I cant put any weight alone on the knee thats not done.
I dont know if I am making any sense here but assuming my new knee will straighten my leg I will be walking lopsided till I get the other one done.
I am going to have my pre op on Wednesday so of course will ask then but was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this or if anyone has any advice.
Thanks so much - Viv xx

I am scheduled for June 1. I am totally terrified. I go to Joint replacement boot camp tomorrow. It all seems so soon.
Hello, just want to say you are not alone in being totally terrified. I am having one knee done on 7th June and the other 3 months after. I am really really scared yet I dont know why. I have friends who have had both knees replaced and they have gone from being miserable and motionless to smiling and mobile once again.
I see this and I am still terrified, lol, the human mind is crazy isn't it. I am determined to have a positive attitude about the whole thing as I have so much I want to do.
I am an older mum and had my daughter a month before my 46th Birthday, my daughter is 15 now and she has never known me out of pain. I cant go shopping with her, I cant walk anywhere and I am in so much pain she knows my limitations.
I just want to be able to do normal things with her, like walking with her to her dance studio or popping out for a take away without having to take the car for a 5 minute walk. These are the things that I am trying to focus on.
Plus I got married for the 2nd time in 2009 and I want to go to Bali with my husband for a break. I just want to be able to walk and talk without having my knees being the main thing I concentrate on.
I am so glad I found this forum and I am on a countdown now, I am thinking of my sons birthday on 20th June and my own on 25th. We are hopefully going to have a BBQ with my supervising lol.
Look beyond your operation date and stay positive.
Best wishes, Viv x

I am having BTKR sugery on June 7th.
Hello Gamecock, We share the same operation date. Unlike you though I am only having one done although I dont know which one yet, the other I will have done 3 months after.
Wish I could have both done like yourself, see you "on the other side" nice to know I have a fellow op mate.
Best wishes,
viv x

Best wishes to all the June people!

Hello all,
First appt. with surgeon on 5/23, next stop TKR on right knee 6/11. This will be my second. First done 6/2005 on left knee. Different surgeon, different brand of prosthesis and 7 years older...just want pain free mobility back

Jamie:

Thanks so much for your post. I, too, have developed AVN and my surgery is this Friday! I am so concerned that since it has been nothing but downhill with this knee that my TKR will just be one more failure. On my last visit with my surgeon, he said to 'stop thininking'. He doesn't know that I have tried doing that all my life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker