BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

June 19th Left THR

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Gone again, May 11, 2017.

1. Gone again

Gone again Member

United States United States
    Hi all. June19th can't get here soon enough. Left hip first. I'm going to hold off on the right side as long as possible. We'll see how that works out.

Sure will be nice to make it through the grocery store without hanging all over the grocery cart.

Bill

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Tags:
  2. Pumpkln

Pumpkln Forum Advisor Staff Member Forum Advisor

Gone again,
    Welcome to BoneSmart glad you joined us!

Here is some pre op reading for you.

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
    Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing hip recoveries

3. Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet Forum Advisor Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello and welcome. I'm sure your surgery will make a huge difference to your life. Living in constant pain is no joke. I was anxious that I would need my second hip done (5 months after the first) but having sailed through my first Op (ok with usual inconveniences associated with recovery, but all manageable) I was really glad to get that one fixed too. So I wouldn't be too worried about simply getting your other hip dealt with if your OS recommends it needs replacing. Soonest fixed, soonest mended was my view and the next result has transformed me! Best wishes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. cpollock

cpollock Senior

Canada Canada
    Hi @Gone again. I'm also having my left hip replaced on June 19th. We will be buddies. I'm afraid and haven't slept well the past few nights. I got a call last week asking if I'd like to have my surgery early and I said yes. Originally it was for July 31st. I will be thinking of you and following your recovery. I wish you well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. Gone again

Gone again Member

cpollock thank you.Yes we'll be buddies I had my preop exam Friday I'm good to go,the nurse did warn me about being carefull that any skin laseration or even bug bites could postpone the operation in fear of infection
    So I'm paranoid.the Horse flys are bad right now to boot.
    I'm an outside person and we finally have decent weather. So I'll put away the shorts and tank tops for now and take my chances. But no more naps outside.
    I think missing sleep is required in this group but I don't remember checking that box on the application.
    Keep us posted and good luck, One week till H day.
    Yup I'm anxious,excited,nervous and don't wait well.
    I think I just spoke for everyone on this site.

6. cpollock

cpollock Senior

Canada Canada
    Hi @Gone again my pre-op was last friday,. Bloodwork, chest x-ray, ECG, hip x-rays. I go to a. All day joint class on Wednesday. I wasn't told about bug bites but will keep that in mind. I took zoplocone last night for sleeping and I will continue this week. I'm allowed Tylenol and tramadol too.

7. Gone again

Gone again Member

Yes they said anything that could introduce an infection. Wow all day joint class mine was 2 hours .big differences in hospital protocols.
    I'm going to see about having my right hip done also. Why put it off. Maybe I can save some on insurance deductibles if I get it done this year.not really sure how that works:shrug:
    Keeping busy getting things done before the big day. Today I'm taking our chocolate lab to get a bath.:doggie:

8. cpollock

cpollock Senior

Canada Canada
    My right hip feels ok. I had a MRI of both hips a few years ago and it was only the left hip that had oa. But if it ever starts giving me pain I won't wait 8 years. The first Dr took 2 years to diagnose then told me to take Advil and come back at 65. I changed doctors and was scheduled for a MRI and told I could have a referral to the surgeon. I put the referral off til last spring, then here I am. I'm in Canada, no cost for my surgery. And I have sick leave to cover from my government job.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

9. Gone again

Gone again Member

Well I'm another day closer. I haven't been able to work since November I'm a carpenter of some 30+ years.mechanic before that.trying to keep busy around the house but must pace myself.if I do to much I'm down for a couple days.
    I keep playing this stupid game in my head, Do I really need new hips.maby I'm just being a wimp and should work through it. Then I'll get the needle in the groin pain and OK I remember now get off your feet stupid.
    Yup I'm whining. Well tomorrow's another day.
    This site is a God send gives me a place to vent a little.
    Ok I'm done back to Being macho :cry:

10. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator Staff Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I said this for years. The result was that the hip collapsed. Believe me - you don't want that pain.

Your hips will not get better and will indeed get a whole lot worse. Get them replaced and get on with real life. You will not regret this amazing surgery.

11. Gone again

Gone again Member

@Jaycey thanks for the encouragement. My hips and knees certainly aren't getting any better.
    Reality is I'm excited and can't wait to be on the other side so I can resume with my life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Horseshoe

Horseshoe Graduate

@Gone again , think most of us do the same game in our heads. En route to the hospital I remember thinking.. do I really need to do this, can I put it off? Mind you I was using crutches, wincing at every step!

A few weeks of inconvenience to get rid of the gnawing pain is def worth it. I needed two hips and couldn't schedule the second one fast enough. I wanted both done at the same time but dr advised against it.

13. cpollock

cpollock Senior

Canada Canada
    @Gone again I have the same thoughts. It's fear of the unknown. I went to my joint class today and got a lot of information. Were you advised against using recliners? I have a nice lift chair and was told no. To use a firm chair with arms and not to sit on soft couch or chairs either. Elevate in bed with pillow lengthwise too. What were you advised?

14. susan12369

susan12369 Member

I'm the day after, June 20th, for my left. My right THR was on May 9th, so 6 weeks between the two. I can't wait to be on the other side and am so thankful the doctor wanted to do them back to back. My left is so bad that I'm limping horribly, which of course doesn't help the new hip! I've been worried about impacting that recovery so am glad I have less than a week to go. And of course it helps that it will be covered by insurance since I've already met my deductible and out of pocket maximum!

I too had doubts on the way to the hospital, but man am I so glad I went through with it, and now I know what to expect!

Btw they had me in a recliner most of the time in the hospital, and I spend most of my days in a recliner at home. I wasn't given any elevation instructions, either. I put a small pillow under my knees when on my back to reduce the pressure on my lower back, and a pillow between my knees if I lay on one side, but that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

15. Gone again

Gone again Member

@cpollock Yes I got the same warnings for recliners. I picked up some 4"high density foam for sleeping pads to put on top of the couch. Two layers raised raised the couch 8" perfect hight for me and nice and firm. I'm 6'2" most couches are low for me. My recliner is oversized so I think it will work. Not totally sure what I'll need just want to be prepared.
    @susan12369 I checked with my Ins and I've met my deductible so the RTHR will be on them. Don't have a date for the second one yet.first one is coming up fast. I can't wait to be on the other side,hate planing my life around how few steps I can take. I can get around on the lawn ok but one trip to the store and I'm done. Big difference between lawn and concrete

16. susan12369

susan12369 Member

I hear you @Gone again! I'm 49 and have spent too long planning my life around my hips! Can't wait to get my life back

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

17. cpollock

cpollock Senior

Canada Canada
    I was told no couch or soft chairs. I'm going to confirm with the surgeons office tomorrow. I'm confused by the pt today even after asking for further clarification.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

18. Gone again

Gone again Member

@cpollock its all about sitting to deep into a chair whear your butt is below your knees. Putting a pillow on The recliner helps a little but it goes flat,doesn't really hold you up whear as a piece of firm foam will. High density foam is usually gray fabric stores have it in 2" or 4" some sporting goods stores have it for sleeping pads. I cut it with an electric carving knife

19. cpollock

cpollock Senior

Canada Canada
    @Gone again How are you doing today.? I wish you all the best and great recovery. I will look forward to hearing about how your surgery went. I will also share. I'm waiting for the call from the hospital now to see what time my surgery is. Have you received your call Yet? Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

20. kayak59

kayak59 Senior

@cpollock and @Gone again Best of luck for tomorrow. Gone again, regarding your shopping cart comment: you'll go from walker (or crutches) to cane to .... shopping cart again! But I have really enjoyed buzzing around on the electric carts at the various stores!