Standard Shoulder Replacement June 16 2020 - Standard Total Shoulder Replacement

NoOneSpecial

Country
United States United States
After previously considering a posterior approach, I consulted with Dr. Matsen at the University of Washington Medical Center. I decided immediately to go with him and a standard TSA.

Post op Final Report showed that chondrolysis made the TSA 20% more complex and challenges - redacted copy of report here. Google "chondrolysis+total shoulder replacement" and look for a July 1, 2013 study by Dr. Matsen.

Background

In 2015, I had an arthroscopic procedure done due to instability by a different, but very well known orthopedic surgeon who specializes in shoulders that included a catheter with a pain relief pump following surgery.

Anyway, I thought I'd share as I think it important people know the potential consequences of the 'pain relief pumps'.

I'm 3 days post op and doing well. Physical therapy 15 times a day and keeping on top of my meds. Glad I am on the other side of this joint replacement surgery now.

Redacted Final Report.jpg

Last edited:
I must be missing something. I don't see any reference to a "pain relief pump." Can you clarify this for me?

Greetings, I had my surgery last Tuesday with Dr Matsen. I was worried being a teaching school and Dr Matsen is primarily just in the room having interns do the work. Regardless they did a great job and i'm nearly pain free. I was fortunate not having any problems with my rotator cuff so i think recovery is easier for me. I was comparing the notes they sent home with me and they were almost identical with yours. Almost like it was a form letter. Kind of like a factory line of patients coming and going. Anyway i wish you good luck.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts