TKR Seven years out, Right TKR

Things don't sound so bad, especially with the jobs coming up in the same group and can keep all your benefits! There is hope.
I did have to break down and take a Tramadol an hour of so ago. My new knee had started fussing already. The old knee gets a shot on Thursday. Hopefully, that will help it last at least a year or so. Is your foot still doing better since your shot?

Glad to hear you have a plan to find a job that will accommodate your needs right now. It is possible with time you will tolerate the longer days. Your knee is still healing, and will be for 5 - 6+ months.

@sistersinhim Tramadol & rest should help relieve the pain. Adding Tylenol helped me too, so you might want to try that. I hope the shot you get Thursday will keep you going a long time. My foot is improving, still sore but getting better~thanks! I plan on wearing the "shoe" he gave me a couple more weeks to make sure it heals completely. I'm also trying to do quad strengthening exercises to help my knee feel more stable. It sure is a roller coaster recovery... Take it easy tonight!

It most definitely is a rollercoaster ride. Ups and downs physically and emotionally.

When do you have to return to work? Could you return part time and whomever is doing yours job now can continue part time?

It would be a cortisone mix. But, because of our snow storm I had to cancel it. I will reschedule if I need to after the roads clear.

?? Question ?? If someone had adhesions could you feel them & where would they be located? My bend still isn't the greatest. Just wondering...

Hi Julie. I can't answer your question since I never really knowingly had them. After I was in an immobilizer for over 6 weeks years ago, I had a hard time bending when first out of it. I found the easiest way to increase my ROM was to get into a really hot tub of water with my knee in it, then pull it up, increasing the bend. I would do this as long as the water was hot. I did this about for about a week to get it to the bend I wanted. I have no idea what that was since I never took pt, but it was enough to do what I needed to do. And now, of course, it's a normal ROM. My new knee's ROM can change daily considering what I do that day or the day before. You had that torn tendon on your foot that threw your gait off for a long time. That put extra stress on your baby knee. I bet the ROM will increase when you get back to normal walking. How is your foot? Are you out of that boot yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
My foot is almost completely better~wearing my normal tennis shoes now, no more "boot" but I keep it with me in case my foot starts to hurt again & walking as carefully as I can at work. I'm just having swelling in my knee after doing the slightest of extra activity~ugh! I lowered the seat on my exercise bike one notch & have been making myself do the stairs more often. Not sure if that's causing my knee to swell more??? This sure is a crazy ride!
@sistersinhim did you get your knee injection yet?

No, we had a snow storm down here and I canceled it. Right now, lefty is doing better so I haven't rescheduled. If it flares up, I will make another appointment. My new knee is still swelling, too, though my pain is so much better than it used to be. Even when I'm not extra swollen, the knee area is almost 1" bigger than the old knee. It was larger before my replacement, so maybe it's just my crazy body!

I'm not sure what you're asking, Julie, or why you tagged three of us.

NB: Since I wrote this, Julie has altered her question, in the post above.

What is your ROM now, Julie?
You can't actually feel the adhesions, but you might feel their effect, a sort of hard stop that prevents you from bending further.

If your bend is still progressing, no matter how slowly, it's unlikely that you have adhesions.
This article explains:
Scar tissue and adhesions - what's the difference?

Thanks @Celle ! I'm not sure what my ROM is??? I think it is slowly improving, but feel resistance in the upper calf at the top where it connects to the back of knee when trying to bend it further back. There are times when I feel my knee is loose even though they X-rays show it being intact & normal ??? I still wear my compression stockings to work cuz it makes my knee more stable. Thanks for all your insight!

??? Wondering if I should be concerned or just part of the healing process ??? I'm having pain at the top of my tibia & the kneecap seems "loose". My whole knee area is sore to touch??? Every time Ive seen my OS he takes X-rays & says everything looks good. Has anyone experienced this! I'll be 8 months next Tuesday...thanks!
@Celle With the info about adhesions, do they occur behind the knee besides the top of the knee, (like the X-ray pic shows)? Could that be causing me not to be able to bend further? Thanks for your help.

Hey Julie. I have complained about the top of my tibia where the stem of the implant goes in for quite a while. Sometimes it has pains in it. My whole knee is still tender to the touch. Sometimes are worse than others and even a cat stepping on it makes me yell, "Ouch!" Icing does help. I can't answer you about the loose kneecap since I don't have any! I don't know, but maybe the looseness feeling might go away once your knee gets stronger. At least your OS says everything looks good. This thing just takes lots of time and your foot hindered your knee's healing! I still have to use my cane when out or after extra hard times.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back