July 2016 BoneSmart Donation Initiative

Jamie

Staff member since Feb, 2009
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
The following is posted as a response to members who have asked where the donation target of $65,000 will be spent. If you have additional questions about the donation program or this initiative, please post them here so that we can provide a timely response.
**************************************************************************************

How will our donation money be spent?

While it would seem simple to answer in one or two paragraphs, we feel it is important to provide some history and perspective along with the details for where donation money will go. We hope this additional information will be satisfactory.

The past couple of years have brought tremendous changes to the orthopedic industry. Gradual consolidations and cuts to marketing budgets have influenced the Foundation for the Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc. (FARM) and BoneSmart. As companies consolidated and budgets tightened, so did our sponsorships.

These changes took place while BoneSmart was expanding to a larger and more stable platform, redesigning both forum and website, and developing the BoneSmart app that many of our members use to access BoneSmart. We had commitments for design, programming, testing and implementation that extended over a couple of years. All our plans came to fruition and BoneSmart, as you see and use today, is the result of that effort.

Unfortunately the implementation coincided with the industry consolidations and reduced funding. We currently have unpaid expenses from these improvements. In addition we also have unpaid expenses required to recover BoneSmart from multiple hack attacks in the last 9 months. For those of you who have been on the forum for a while, you may remember these hacks totally crashed our system and we were actually offline for several days until our programmer got the problems resolved. During this time, the BoneSmart team voluntarily performed the work needed with only a promise that they eventually would receive compensation for their many hours work.

We need to honor our agreements and pay for these services. Our donation initiative SaveBoneSmart will enable us to satisfy those debts for all our BoneSmart offerings.

The world is a different place today than it was even two short years ago. We can no longer depend solely on corporate donations to keep FARM and BoneSmart operational. As we go forward you may see a number of different initiatives to help us keep BoneSmart the vital support site that it has become. We have a strong internet presence largely due to the quantity and quality of information and support available. We truly value our members’ role in achieving that level of recognition and want to continue to be there for past and new members.

Last edited:
We have a strong internet presence largely due to the quantity and quality of information and support available. We truly value our members’ role in achieving that level of recognition and want to continue to be there for past and new members.
And I say a big AMEN to that!

No, it is not an either/or situation. This is the amount needed to retire our past debts for the services outlined in the first post of this thread so we can go forward. When the end of July comes, the Board of Directors and accountant will decide what can be done if not all the funds are raised. Obviously we will do everything possible to keep the forum up and running.

Thank you so much. We are blessed to have such wonderful and supportive members! BoneSmart truly is a family.

I did try to donate but the site doesn't seen to recognise addresses outside the USA, it says it is too long and I have to state my provence, somehow I don't think Leinster will fit the bill!!!

We are still waiting for iDonate to fix that. It's very irritating. Did you know you can donate via Paypal and you don't have to have a Paypal account to do so?

If you successfully donated, you will get a thank you email like this

thank you email.JPG

Attachments

• idonate 2.JPG
    idonate 2.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 284
  • Idonate 1.JPG
    Idonate 1.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 277
I tried to donate via PayPal and that didn't work either. It just went to s blank page [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@Josephine I received an email yesterday asking for a donation to this forum. I wanted to be sure that the donation I sent in via PayPal about 2 weeks ago was received. This forum means so much to me to me, I wanted to do what I could to support it. Thank you for all you do for others...and me.

@CATSMUM , @Nana moon 27 , I have had an email from @Josephine asking for a donation to bonesmart, and no doubt @Raffs has had one as well as many others. I emailed Josephine back asking how to donate in Pounds sterling and not Dollars, but received a reply which said I couldn't use that Email address and must use the forum. As far as I can see there are no instructions for Pounds and I wonder if anyone British has donated and if so how? I have asked on the site at least twice, but have had no reply. I would have donated months ago had I been able. Can anyone help me as it seems bonesmart needs the money, and I am at present unable to help. I certainly have had my share of advice and would like to show my gratitude.

Thank you so much for your support. It means a lot to us.

If you donation was successful, you would get an email like this

thank you email.JPG

Yes, I did. You need to start the process and at the point where you are ask for an address, first choose your country by clicking on the United States box when you will get a drop down menu of countries. Then all the other boxes change to UK related things like £, post code and so on. But leave the 'Province' box empty as that doesn't change.

@Josephine I made a donation and it shows up in my bank account but I never received that email. Did the donation get lost somewhere?

@Josephine I have followed your instructions to the letter, but when I change the Country to United Kingdom, it still says Dollars and the address format is still American. I filled in the form as best I could but it said it couldn't accept it without a Province. I tried so often the site crashed. I have just tried again and after four goes it would not accept any more and told me to log out. I don't know what to do next, and fear you will get no donation from the British.

How did you change it to UK?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks