THR Juanita's Hip Recovery

Im so grateful for all the advice and experience on this forum. I'm definitely going to be saying no to anymore physical therapy , I don't understand half the things they're making me do. You guys are amazing and I'm glad to be able to talk to people that have had this procedure because all my friends and family that I talk to about just don't understand I've told them to pull it up on utube and watch it but they won't (they're wusses)lol I still haven't been able to wrap my head around what I actually went through:what:

Had a posterior hip replacement on April 2 2019 and have been having a lot of pain behind my knee on the operative leg , not sure if anyone else has experienced this . Any info would be greatly appreciated
I had surgery on 1/29/19 on right hip and I am having a lot of issues with swelling of the knee plus continued hip pain. I had an x ray done on my knee and I have arthritis in the knee. My doctor recommends a steroid injection. I still have a terrible limp and walk with a cane at 4 months. It can be very frustrating and I could use any advice as to what I should possibly try that will help. Please if u get any insight I would love to know.

The best advice I have received is to elevate and ice a lot , just take it easy by resting and not over doing it. I unfortunately have over done it and now I'm in really bad pain in my hip and thigh . Going to follow the helpful advice I have received and if it gets worse I too will be back to the os :beg:

Not sure if I did something to my new hip but my pain has been a 7 going on a couple days now . It hurts when I bear weight on it and that has never happened even 1 week after my replacement I was walking pain free . I've been resting all day and elevating with ice and no relief , there's sharp pains in my thigh that radiate down to my knee then on to my calf , also having pains in the groin area. I don't want to immediately call my os cause if it's nothing but normal healing I'll feel like a big baby:bawl:

there's sharp pains in my thigh that radiate down to my knee then on to my calf , also having pains in the groin area.
So, there isn’t pain in the hip per se, just where you mentioned it? I’m no doctor, but that reads like hip flexor. Heck yeah that’s gonna be hurting! Probably haven’t been able to use those guys (muscles and tendons) properly for a while as your hip got worse. Also, they do quite a bit of hammering to get that stem in. My knee was killing me for a week or so after, but everybody is different!

There are plenty of easy stretches you can find or ask your doc about.

Just my .02¢

Pain is a 7?
I'd call my OS...just because. His work...reassuring to have X-rays and just rule out problems.

I'm really hoping I just over did it . I rested all day today , elevated and iced so I'm hoping it's better tomorrow , I figured I would give it the weekend and if nothing changes I'll go in on Monday and see what's going on with it:beg: I'm trying not to over react . This whole experience has been up and down for me , I'm also still dealing with the post op blues and patiently waiting for my counseling appointment which is still 2 weeks out I haven't even gotten a phone call for an earlier one:oyvey:they must think that people who are depressed can wait over a month to be seen (ridiculous) thank God for my anti depressants.any info on what else I can do to help with the pain would be greatly appreciated:yahoo:

Again, sorry you’re still hurting. :sorry:
Here are the home exercises PT gave me before the revision when I thought I was just fighting hip flexor tendonitis. The two laying on your back with knees bent are the easiest to start with. As well as the straight leg raises.

Attachments

• FED41013-5D50-4218-8C19-58F5C8995558.jpeg
    FED41013-5D50-4218-8C19-58F5C8995558.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 255
  • 25668AA0-4C83-460E-85BD-EB19892466A0.jpeg
    25668AA0-4C83-460E-85BD-EB19892466A0.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 226
Sorry you're in pain and experiencing the post op Blues on top of it all.
It sounds like you may have over extended in PT. I hope you're feeling better today.
I'd consider continuing with ice and rest. The forum nurse advises icing for 40-60 mins, no less, each time you ice. Target 4 x daily. Don't forget that we're here for you anytime, day or night. The lights never go out here.
Hugs and best wishes for a peaceful weekend!
@Ryesgma

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope your days are feeling a little brighter since last time you posted.
We're here for you.
Wishing you comfort and a pleasant week. :)
@Ryesgma

@Layla thank you so much for all your helpful advice and good wishes , I can't even put into words how much this site and the wonderful people on it mean to me . Just knowing that there's people who have been through this is a blessing sorry I haven't gotten back to anyone but my wonderful husband took me away for the weekend so I can relax and enjoy myself:loveshwr: it was very nice considering what I've been through but unfortunately the pain has not subsided and I think I may have to go to the urgent Care and get it looked at:groan:. I'm just really trying to recover so I will be well enough for my next surgery on the 1st of July , I am at a loss as to why the pain is worse now then it was right after my procedure:shrug:

Aww, so kind. You're welcome...it's my pleasure. The forum is a great place. It's comforting to communicate with those who understand because they've experienced, or are experiencing the same.

I hope you enjoyed the weekend and had a lovely time with your husband. Very thoughtful of him to take you away. I sure wish you were feeling better. Maybe going to Urgent Care tomorrow is a good idea. It could give you peace of mind. Hopefully you'll find it's not anything serious and possibly you strained or overdid it a bit unknowingly.
Please stay in touch, let us know what you hear. Prayers for your comfort. :prayer:
@Ryesgma

I called the os office and spoke to the nurse , unfortunately my os was not in today but I did tell her everything that's going on with my hip and she said she would talk to my Dr and call me back tomorrow. I'm not sure what's going on but I haven't felt good in a while , really tired , bad headache and I'm naseaus . Been dizzy and lightheaded off and on as well can't believe I'm feeling this bad 9 weeks out , I thought I would be feeling better by now :bored:

I hope you will be going in to see OS today...hate to hear you something so despondent.
I'm not sure what's going on but I haven't felt good in a while , really tired , bad headache and I'm naseaus . Been dizzy and lightheaded off and on as well can't believe I'm feeling this bad 9 weeks out ,
This sounds like it could be blood pressure related? And that certainly can make one feel lousy.
Hope you get some answers, @Ryesgma :console2:

I hope you were able to talk with someone from your surgeon's office today.
I'm sorry to read of your symptoms and sense that you're understandably anxious about the way you're feeling.
Prayers for answers and relief. We're here for you. :console2:
@Ryesgma

I went to the doctor today and they took x-rays and the pa said they looked good , they also did some blood work but the results were not in when I was there . I got home and went on KP.org and 2 of my results were in , not sure if anyone here knows what my ESR results mean but it was high :umm: and I left the appointment today feeling like I really wasn't listened to . I'm not sure what else to do at this point but to start taking the ibuprofen the PA said I should , I don't get to see my surgeon again until 6/28 , the pain is worse now then after I had the hip replacement done:gaah:

Hi @Ryesgma
I'm sorry you feel like you were not being listened to...no one likes to feel like others are being dismissive about real pain. I'm glad your X-rays don't show a problem with the prosthetic hip...
An erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) test is sometimes called a sedimentation rate test or sed rate test. This blood test doesn’t diagnose one specific condition. Instead, it helps your healthcare provider determine whether you’re experiencing inflammation.
I know you said you had probably overdone it due to lack of direction in early days and I wonder if some activity has aggravated things...which sometimes can take time to resolve.
@Josephine, our nurse director can weigh in but she will need to ask you some questions and get you to be specific on activity before and now.
Meanwhile, Do remember ice is an excellent anti-inflammatory and try to baby that hip.:ice:
Healing hugs

Didn't hear back from my os today regarding my blood tests , so I called and asked his nurse if anyone had gone over them and they hadn't :nah: but she looked them up and said that apparently two of the results came back high . She said that the surgeon will be looking at them first thing when he comes in tomorrow and they will be in contact with me. Not sure if I should be worried or not :tantrum: I don't want to have to go through having an infection (my biggest fear) any advice or info on this kind of thing would be greatly appreciated:praying:

Omg the pain is really bad tonight:swoon: I had to take one of my 10mg Percocets and I haven't had any relief yet . I'm currently laying in bed in tears not knowing why it just keeps getting worse , I'm just a mess :boohoo: I'm doing everything I can to make it better , ice , elevate and rest . I'm really hoping I wake up (if I can sleep) feeling even just a little better .:beg:

Oh @Ryesgma im sending you a massive hug and positive energy. I'm still not sleeping so my genuine thoughts are with you. I do so hope you get some help from your os. Just wanted to let you know my thoughts are with you and this forum sends us all so much positivity and support I'm sure someone will be able to give you some good advice. Xx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads