THR jtrahan's Recovery Thread

jtrahan

Country
United States United States
Well, I had my surgery on Thursday, February 4, 2021. I left the hospital the next day. Everything is going well. I remembered how difficult it was to sleep in my bed once the pain set in, so I decided to use the recliner. I purchased one of those lifting recliners when I had my first hip replacement five years ago. That chair has been a life saver. I'm sure it will come in handy when I get the knees done in a year or two. I'm currently using a cane and seem to be managing the pain with Tylenol. I have taken a Tramadol at night to help me sleep. It is funny how things have changed in just five years with pain killers. When I had my first hip replacement five years ago the surgeon gave me 90 Oxycontin. I ended up using three. When I left the hospital on Friday they gave me 16 Tramadol. I think it is a good thing that they are tightening up on the pain meds. So far so good . I already had my first at home physical therapy session and have three more before I start outpatient therapy. I was able to teach my classes virtually today, so I will not miss any work, The last time, I missed three months. I"m continuing to Ice and rest.

@jtrahan,
Welcome to the OtherSide! :welome:

Sounds like you are doing well, and you are able to sleep in your recliner.

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

jtrahan,
You'll notice that I have moved your newest post and started your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
Thanks,
Chris

I already had my first at home physical therapy session and have three more before I start outpatient therapy. I was able to teach my classes virtually today, so I will not miss any work,

That’s a lot of activity for only five days post op. I’d hate to see you wear yourself out and stall your recovery. Hopefully aside from teaching and PT you‘ll have lots of opportunity to put your feet up and get some restorative rest. I wish you well as you begin to heal. :)

That is quite a change of medication protocol from your last hip surgery. Interesting!

While in the hospital they managed my pain with Tylenol. The nurse practitioner said I may experience additional pain over the weekend, so she prescribed me Tramadol. I have taken one of them at bedtime. I think a lot of doctors are more aware of addiction issues that come with pain killers, so they are less likely to prescribe large doses. I’m sure if I needed more or something stronger they would have helped me out. I’m just happy the pain is manageable today .

Awesome! It’s important to keep pain well managed so you’re able to stay mobile as I’m sure you recall from your first THR.
I hope you have a good rest of the week. Stay in touch! :SUNsmile:
@jtrahan

Tylenol was my friend!

4000 mg to start ... trimmed back if I didn’t need the pain relief.

Way easier than my first hip when Mr and Mrs Percocet were my close friends.

Ice and Elevate!

By now you’re feeling pretty darn good, I’ll bet!

I’m feeling okay. Just really tight in the hamstring area. I’m taking 600mgs of Tylenol. It helps. I haven’t used the Tramadol since the third night. It’s just tough to sit down. I wish I could use a muscle roller to work out all the **** going on in the hamstring. I just don’t want to push it. I have one more therapy session at home and then start outpatient therapy in two weeks. I’m going nuts in the house. I can’t wait until I can drive again.

Yes, I agree. It is a little slippery out so I have been limiting my walking to inside the house. Last night I tried sleeping on my operative side and it was a no go. I do feel really tired all the time. I guess I have forgotten how much the surgery takes out of you. Yesterday I did get to go to the store to pick up a few things. It was nice to get out of the house for a few minutes.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced any knee pain on the same side of the their hip replacement? I have noticed the swelling has drifted downward and now my thigh, knee and calf are swollen. I am icing and using the compression stockings, but it feels like the swelling is causing my knee to hurt. To be totally honest, this knee is next on the replacement list, but I was hoping to get a few more before I went through another surgery. Is it possible that at two weeks out, the recovery could be affecting my knee? I have been doing the PT at home, but have been careful not to push it. Thanks

Take care of the knee and ice it. Ask if anti inflammatory are ok. Knee issues can be complicated. Can you wear a soft knee brace while walking. Be sure to wear new good fitting shoes with good arches that don’t allow you to roll your ankles when you walk. Take your time slowly practice good walking gait heel to toe until it becomes a natural gait. Usually the old shoes worn with old hip is worn to old gait and should be tossed out. Hopefully in a few days you’ll see improvement. Balance is important stand up straight and one foot at a time. It has worked for all three of my hip surgeries, hope you will see improvement soon.

Last edited:
I have had home PT. I’m doing general exercises like leg lifts, hip lifts, sideways steps, toe raises, quarter squats and some others. I really don’t think I am over doing the PT but to tell you the truth I didn’t do any exercises yesterday and I do feel a little better. I start outpatient PT on Monday so we’ll see how it goes. I will look into getting a new pair of sneakers. I had acl reconstruction many years ago so this knee has always been an issue. I’m hoping it settles down overtime.

Most of us had knee pain during recovery. Look at a chart of the muscles and you'll see the IT band ends at the knee. When you make the IT band mad it send the pain signal from your knee. Just me but doing the PT you're doing at 2 weeks could be causing your pain. No downside to not doing PT and seeing what happens.

I have had home PT. I’m doing general exercises like leg lifts, hip lifts, sideways steps, toe raises, quarter squats and some others.
That's way more than new hips usually like @jtrahan. Walking is all that's really necessary. If you do continue the exercises, make sure and listen to your body, if you have increased pain or swelling that night or the next day you did too much. Early, early days yet for you, just remember you are healing and that's not something you can rush.

I really don’t think I am over doing the PT but to tell you the truth I didn’t do any exercises yesterday and I do feel a little better. I start outpatient PT on Monday so we’ll see how it goes.

Once you begin out-patient PT, please don’t be afraid to say, No, to anything that hurts. Your body, your recovery and you’re the one who will deal with any pain resulting from pushing it, not the PT.
Wishing you a nice weekend and all the best as you continue to heal. :wave:

I went for my two week follow up today and everything is good. The nurse practitioner that I had for my visit today also assisted in my surgery. If you remember my surgery was delayed due to a low platelet count. After seeing a hematologist, I was diagnosed with ITP (Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura or immune thrombocytopenia). She said, I had excessive bleeding during the surgery, but did not require a transfusion afterwards. It is a little concerning having ITP and having to worry about possible future injuries. My count is not in the danger zone, but since the numbers fluctuate so much, I will have to stay up on the blood work. My hematologist has scheduled me for a yearly and I see my doctor every year for a physical. I do not present any symptoms of acute ITP such as bruising or bleeding so I should be okay. I just always cut myself. I work with my hands and I don't go more than a few days without cutting something.
Do you think the excessive blood loss during the surgery could have been the reason I had low blood pressure readings in recovery?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say most of us have low blood pressure post op. Both of mine had extra work that had to be done so my pressure was low post-op for both of them.

Thanks for the information. I think the ITP diagnosis is something I will have to deal with accordingly.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom