Journey started

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes, it gets so complex you just have to see the humor in it. :rolleyespink: Ten minutes after I left for an early dinner, the breast surgeon called, didn't sound happy, left me his personal blackberry phone number, and told me to call him at home. I know this because he left a message on my answering machine. So I got a pen and paper and replayed the message to get the number, and NOOO!:hairpulling: I hit Delete, not Replay!!! Thirty minutes later, I found someone at the hospital to call him at home and transfer the call to me! :yes 4: So the bad news was that the pathologist did not agree to the plan, saying the frozen section would not be acurate enough, and they could not get the results back by Monday. :skeptical: My surgeon is already in the OR 10 hours tomorrow, so Wednesday is not happening. He mentioned that it takes a day to get downtown and into the path's hands, so I said, can't we drive it down ourselves? He suggested we could use a cab, and was emailing the path as I was talking to him. Bottom line is, he called me back at 8:30 tonight, and the Pathologist said IF it was in his hands, downtown, by 10am the morning of my biopsy, he would get the results to us by 10am Monday morning. I check in for knee surgery at 10:30. :sigh: This truly is insane! These are two completely different hospital systems trying their hardest to work together. The people from the Breast Care Center, from the receptionist to the surgeon have been heroic in their effort to help me! It's enough to bring me to tears to see all these people care so much about my situation! :cry: I think I should send them all kitty's! :cat-kittyandsmiley:

Dear, dear Janet, what a tough situation for you. Do you think that you'll be ok to just postpone your knee replacement surgery for a few weeks? I just can't imagine all that you are dealing with right now. My very humble, personal, and not at all expert advice would be to postpone just for a short while. You are a pretty strong, super woman, but this is just too close and stressful. I am praying and sending good thoughts.

Awe man, this is really a stressful time! I really hope all things come into play in your life!, however come what may you will deal with the cards you are dealt, and this I know for sure! You are a positive person and you are ready to go forward when life permits!:friends:

Oh, I'm in it for the sport now! It's going to take some good handwork passing off the baton and some fancy footwork to nose under the finish line, but we're going to be there! :yay: No guaranties, of course, but worth the shot, and he feels it is likely to be benign, based on the size of the first sample.

The day is starting with hurtles to go. Breast care nurse called to see what was up, I told her the scenario, and she said she'd start working it, but as of now, my surgery isn't scheduled until 11am, and the radiologists don't start until 8. They have to place a wire guide in me before the surgery can take place because there is no lump to feel, but it is an architechtural abnormality. (Why does that make me feel antique and dusty?). She's working on it, but they may yet cry Uncle. Then I still have to get this latest scenario past the OR. I hope he's a gambling man! I'll know more later...

Knee surgeon IS a gambling man. The surgical coordinator said even if I'm at the hospital waiting to be prepped when I get the call, it's still okay to call it off and as it's the last of the day, is easy to do. They are totally supportive. She also indicated that there might be an opening on July 3 if we have to cancel. That is one month before our vacation, but still doable. Gosh, these are all such great people to work with!

This is really great for you, Janet. And its totally super PR for them---'cause you know you'll be telling everyone you know how they have gone out of their way to accomodate your situation.

But it does go to show that there are truly kind, caring, and understanding people in the world who are willing to make that extra effort. But it'll never make the 6 o'clock news because it's GOOD NEWS!

Got my fingers and toes crossed that everything will go your way!

Janet you are being put through so many challenges right now when you don't need anymore!:hairpulling: You are such a trooper.:thumb:I hope it all works well for you.

Having gotten an infection, that is a concern that I have for all the cutting and in and out of hospitals or offices. With no down time to heal the biopsy site, are both Dr. good with this part of it all? I do not want to be a downer here, but healing needs to take place in the biopsy site. :sigh:

I had my surgery postponed twice and not for short times as yours would be, but for 2 years and then again for a year after the shingles. :cry: A month or two will not matter that much in the end. :console: You have planned a vacation, that can be taken another time too. You are the best scheduled person on Bonesmart.:thumb: However this all works out, I wish you all the best!:wubroses:

Mimi, the biopsy incision with only four days of healing time was one of my concerns which I brought up. Os was not concerned, assuming it looks like it's healing well by the time of the surgery, and said that there will be antibiotics in the IV at the time of surgery anyway. I'll be smart, be prepared and do what I need to do. I'll cancel if I need to, it's just understanding that it will be so last minute. I'm not an emotional mess or anything. I'm pretty good in a crisis. (Remembering here when I was held up in Brazil by nine gunmen who stole my car from a parking lot. I negotiated getting our personal items out of the car and then had to teach them how to drive the car as they had never been in an auto transmission car before.)

Good luck on your surgery. I'm actually looking forward to mine on the 27th although I have started second guessing it since they don't hurt ALL the time. They are both bone on bone and have bone spurs on inside/outside of each knee and they do hurt when I do stairs or any amount of walking, just not when I'm just sitting around. I catered for 20 years and that was a lot of standing in the kitchen which after awhile really bothered the knees. I have more or less given that up and gone the route of food blogging for a hobby. So I would like my knees to get in shape enough that maybe I could actually teach cooking classes out of my own kitchen and the standing won't bother me. I will be definitely hanging out here for the next several months. Good luck.

Janet, YOU ARE THE WOMAN :wow2:

Good luck on your surgery. I'm actually looking forward to mine on the 27th although I have started second guessing it since they don't hurt ALL the time. They are both bone on bone and have bone spurs on inside/outside of each knee and they do hurt when I do stairs or any amount of walking, just not when I'm just sitting around. I catered for 20 years and that was a lot of standing in the kitchen which after awhile really bothered the knees. I have more or less given that up and gone the route of food blogging for a hobby. So I would like my knees to get in shape enough that maybe I could actually teach cooking classes out of my own kitchen and the standing won't bother me. I will be definitely hanging out here for the next several months. Good luck.

Janet! Held up in Brazil 9 gunmen????:thud: Holly Molly! I'm calling you whenever I'm going anywhere! Wow, what a trooper is right! You never cease to amaze me! You should be nominated for an award! With bionic knees, you'll be unstoppable! That hubby of yours is one lucky man!
You've got a great team there working for you and they've got a great lady to be doing it all for!:thumb: Stay well and all my positive thoughts are with you!:friends:

Hi Janet, been on hols in France with limited wifi access so just caught up on your thread - what a nightmare! I was in Boulogne Cathedral on Sunday & lit a giant candle for anyone I know who needs prayers - including Bonesmarties. Definitely saying extra prayers for you now. Stay strong, God Bless.

Janet, my week from hell is nothing compared to the stress and whirlwind you have been dealing with. Once again my prayers are with you and your family. Head up, smile, faith, positive thoughts.
Kim

Thanks everyone. Everyone has their own stress, so I do really appreciate it! I have to be there at 6 and they will start at 8 to do the wire guide procedure, and then I'll wait for the surgeon. They tried, but were unable, to switch with the earlier surgery, so I probably won't make the 10am cut for the pathologist. We'll just hope for the best, all round!

Janet, I've been reading your thread for a few weeks, and I can't believe what you are going through! I just want to add my good wishes and tell you I have been praying for a good result on your biopsy. After all this, recovery from your TKR may be the easy part!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties