THR Journaling healing of my new hip!

Love the avatar. So you are 9 days post-op are you doing better? How about that heel? I had both heels hurting in bed only like it was the blanket. I was atop a white duvet so I can't imagine that. But incredible edema so it could be that. In your case unsure but with all the surgery and maneuvering during surgery as well as any mild problem prior to surgery gets bigger afterwards and will probably abate. Check with OS as someone mentioned. The PT sounds like a real prince.

I also had heel pain and was loaned my stepmothers sheepskin that definitely cut down on what I assumed was pressure point and/or friction.

for some odd reason the pain prior to surgery kicked in..hamstring pain. Not sure why. I’m almost ready to switch to a cane from a walker but this pain threw me off mentally.

I know I definitely had a terrible hp and it needed to come out. But now I wonder if my lower lumber needs attention. Many years back I had this same kind of pain..inner and back of hamstring but no back pain . No one could figure out what it was from. Finally one doc did a nerve test and immediately had me do an epidural in L5-S1. It helped tremendously..at that time I wasn’t having hip issues (or at least I was aware of). Few years later is when the left hip acted up. This pain i’m Having now and pre surgery reminds me so much of back then. I see my doc this Tuesday for two week check up...does anyone have issues or had issues with both lumbar and hip? Where they at the same time? I am walking better but that pain is constant . Some of the pain from surgery I recognize as definitely from the hip . Please any advice? I’n Starting to have a melt down.

does anyone have issues or had issues with both lumbar and hip
Yes, my lumbar issues were aggravated by my LTHR. Best to see an osteopath or chiropractor to get this addressed. You are walking very differently now - sounds like your back doesn't like it.

Well, today had my 14 day post surgery appointment. It was with the PA for my surgeon. He said all looked good. I’m walking with a cane and starting to practice with no cane. See improvements with my hip. On the other hand I still have radiating pain in hamstrings. ..especially upon sitting. The PA was clueless why I would have this pain. This pain has not changed since April. Guess it’s time to see the Spine doc. I was hoping the new hip would take care of it but nope..not yet. I’m hoping an injection in L5S1 will help like it did 14 years ago!

Sounds like a good visit overall, sorry you're still having the other pain that may be due to back issues. Hopefully an injection will give you some relief. I know from experience they can be wonderful when they work.
:SUNsmile:

Did anyone experience muscle pain/spasm after THR? Didn’t on my last one but just started experiencing a muscle spasm after this one up high on inner thigh yesterday? Any recommendations?

Hi @J-nice sorry you are still getting backpain. I only experienced spasm directly after op which was awful as my whole leg cramped up. I have heard magnesium is good for muscle spasms. I hope you get some relief

Update today. Went to great podiatrist today and she said no arthritis in my feet (thank God) since I have a high arch the plantar fascia is somewhat thickened but no real problem She said she did not think the pain was coming from hip . She taped the bottom of my feet with kinesiet Tex tape and I have no pain. I was wearing sketcher shoe slip in shoes and she said they are the worse for feet, hips and back. No real support. It’s like wearing slippers all day. She suggest Merrill or even fit flop shoes (not sandals). Better for feet and hip . Saw ortho and MRI scheduled for back on Saturday and meet again on Thursday. He thinks the hamstring pain is from back and hip replacement inflamed nerves. But I did need hip replacement but in hindsight should have done back first then hip. Who knows. We shall see. My inner thigh muscle had a bad muscle spasm earlier (in hip replacement side) But massaging with spearmint and other essential oils helped. On top of this going through trial separation with husband.. Just trying to keep head above water, being positive and taking day by day! I have my daughter two more weeks before she goes back to Scotland..so grateful for that! She has been a tremendous help!

Oh @J-nice you seem to have lots going on all together at the moment! :boohoo:But it looks like you are systematically addressing each of them with the right practicioners. There are lots of folks here reporting spasms although luckily I have no first hand experience. Magnesium has been recommended and had good reports. I hope you find healing with your spine issues and hang in there on the romantic side too. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger! Sending hugs. :console2:

Last edited by a moderator:
hi @J-nice Yes, I too have lower back issues.. quite a few and I have that lovely spasm in the inner thigh. Actually I had it worse before my hip replacement but I know it's there, lurking.
I get epidurals when my back gets super bad. I was in a car accident at age 17, car rolled and flipped a couple times and the end result is compression fractures L1, L2 and now stenosis in lower spine. For what it's worth even my hip surgeon thinks the inner thigh spasms are stemming from my spine but in my case I wanted the hip addressed first because the epidural can be done later and the hip was a real drain on my body.
I am feeling a good bit of SI joint issues currently and plan to see my chiro Dr next week. I would have gone this week after my post op check up but my Dr is out of her office on vacation .. bummer!! My surgeons PA approved the chiro visit, too, BTW. I think it's wise to get things cleared beforehand.
I find massaging my inner thigh (adductor) muscles daily really helps. In fact I massage the abductors ( outside of high and hip) daily. Maybe that is why I've not had spasms post op? Or many of mine DID stem from my hip.
Cart/horse? Egg/chicken? :chuck:
Your change to firmer and better supportive shoes should help soon too! I noticed a distinct improvement when I began wearing my supportive shoes, even in the house for my walks.
FYI I still felt a good bit of aches and pain at 2 weeks. it's still early, love..
Sorry about your family issues.. that is really rotten timing. :console2:

Quick question..how long do you ice after hip replacement? Three weeks? Month?

As long as you feel like it benefits you. Like a lot of this recovery, it's really an individual thing. I iced a lot for the first month or so. After that, I only iced after exercise. Then, I started forgetting about it. That's just me though.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

@J-nice
Good question. I iced as long as my incision was hot and sore. I pretty much only iced the incision. After it cooled off, you know, like inflammation had gone away, I quit icing. If I had a flare I iced. I just went about 3 weeks without icing, and yesterday a small part of my incision seemed to flare a bit, was on my feet a lot, so I iced. I don't think you can put a number on it. Eventually nothing will hurt much so no icing needed I guess. That's how I'm dealing with it anyway.

I didn't ice much at all at the beginning (though in retrospect it would probably have been nice). However, I'm sitting on icepack this minute! Now at 8 weeks, I'm doing more, driving, etc and my posterior incision is still tender. I tend to ice all evening after a day of activity. It really seems to help me sleep. Definitely makes scar feel (and look) better! So, ice whenever you feel you need it. It's soooooo nice!! :ice:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom