THR Journaling healing of my new hip!

J-nice

Country
United States United States
Well, it’s finally done ! Surgery was bright and early. Unfortunately I could not sleep last night, had the most maybe two hours sleep. The surgery was only one hour, very quick. All went well. Pain in the incision area started to kick up around five hours later. They gave me Tylenol And oxycodone. It definitely helped but I do not like the way my head feels… Very spacey. With my bone on bone thumb arthritis it makes it a little difficult with the walker but I’m getting it. Went to bathroom three times, sat in the chair for a while. The staff here is great. If I wasn’t so tired I would probably feel better.

:wave:Nice to see you're all done and getting started with recovery. The first day or two can be difficult with the spacey feeling from the drugs, but it gets better. I hope you have a restful night. Keep us posted when you're up to it, we'll be thinking of you! @J-nice

Hi @J-nice
Good to see you posting. Rest and post when you feel up to it. Now the recovery can finally get going. You've seen how it's not always instant recovery, so go slow and we are here to cheer you on. ❤

Glad to see you on the healing side and that everything went well. Hopefully you can get some sleep tonight or at least rest so you'll feel better tomorrow!
:friends:

Ooooh! Goodie! @J-nice ! welcome! So happy to have seen your post on my thread, your day sounds very much like mine was last week.. I got just about 2 hours sleep but it was okay, it's good to get things straight in our households and head the night before. I knew Id step later :heehee: lucky you! Your anesthetic lasted like it's supposed to! You did very well.. congrats!We are fellow doubles and we also have followed the same timeline over the pst 4 years. I think we need to exchange cards at the holidays :loveshwr: you reminded me, my left hand has been sore from working in a compromised way the past few months,, there's a little bone and articulation at the heel of my hand that's super sore. Darned if the walker isn't hurting it, too.. but soon I will be coasting along without the need of my hands and then it can rest. gotta see the positives!
Have a great night and tomorrow will be your going home day, I imagine..:happydance:

Let the healing begin @J-nice :ok:
Glad this hip is sorted and I am sending healing vibes your way.:flwrysmile:

At 11 months out, I still recall the first few days very vividly. I wasn't really prepared for the level and variety of pain, and the inability to get pain relief without suffering side effects. It was very disorienting. However, I also recall feeling so relieved to have that surgery in the rear view mirror and be looking ahead at recovery. Hard as it is to believe when you are first out of surgery, once you get through those early days things start improving quickly. Once you adjust to the meds, or get so darn tired you can't stay awake, you'll be able to sleep and that will help so much! Good luck as you journey through what I consider the most challenging part of recovery....that first week!:flwrysmile:

Was released today from hospital. Was having typical pain around incision and thigh. The ride home was about an hour and boom..pain sparked up in the places I had before surgery..stinging in inner thighs, inn er knees and hamstrings (both legs) finally home and icing like crazy. I didn’t have this last hip surgery but I was released one day later and the driving time was half the time first surgery. Just venting.

@J-nice I bet you are glad to be home. Hope you rest well tonight. I also felt some pain in places as before surgery, but I think that's not unusual. Most are going away except for one spot and it seems to be improving too slowly. Try not to worry, it will take time. I tell myself that every day too.:flwrysmile:

So sorry your ride kicked up your pain level but it is good you are home now and can get iced and make sure you take your meds and get comfortable.

Oh bummer! Hopefully ice and rest will have you feeling better by tomorrow.. That long drive home is definitely challenging.

:hi:
This is the definitely not so fun part...but man oh man...you are now all done!
Sending healing hugs your way!:roseshwr:

Hopefully the icing helped with the pain from the ride home and that you got some decent sleep last night. Glad you are home, so much easier to rest and relax there. Sending healing thoughts.

I’m icing, icing, icing. Doing just the simple lying down exercises ..doesn’t cause any pain. How much do you think I should be walking? My house is not that big so going back and forth..maybe tomorrow around the pool. I know everyone is different but approximately how many steps are or were you all doing In the first week? I can’t remember from my first hip.

Welcome to recovery! :welome:Congrats on your new hip.
I'll bet it feels great to be resting comfortably at home.

Please find below the Recovery Guidelines. Check out the Activity Progression For THR.
Use it as a rough guideline in these early weeks to keep yourself in check. At this point you don't need to be walking more than 5 minutes or so, every hour or two. A trip to the bathroom, a shower, or a walk to the kitchen to get something to eat or drink is plenty in these very early days.

I hope you have a peaceful evening and a nice holiday weekend as you begin healing.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @J-nice

I know pain meds make the head feel yucky but I know I needed the oxycodine on a regular basis the first week, then was able to stop. I set timers at night that first week so I could take it and it helped me stay comfortable.

I wouldn’t worry this week about walking too much. The normal bathroom trips and minimal other walking I think is enough.

I know this is your second time around :). I will also need my other side in a few years (hopefully closer to 5-6 yrs!)

I’m sorry about the pain in your hand. My mom is now 4 months out from joint reconstruction on her thumb joint. I hope the walker isn’t too uncomfortable for you. I know I feel like my left hand is deeply bruised after these weeks of relying on it so heavily.

One day at a time! Take care

@J-nice This time I was told to walk every hour.. with my previous hip I remember the orders were to walk 50 steps every time I got up to the bathroom. the main concern seemed to be the risk of a blood clot, that is why they wanted me up hourly. Which was easy enough to do since I was feeling the urge to pee almost hourly!
I hope today is a better day for you and you gt some good sleep, too. :flwrysmile:

Hi @J-nice ! I followed the guidelines on this forum - I just walked round the house regularly, every hour or so for a few minutes. It was week 2 when I ventured outside. This plan seems to be working well!
Take it easy, no need to rush! :) :-) (:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back