TKR Joules' Knee Recovery Thread.

sistersinhim

Staff member since March 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
I am still experiencing pain and swelling in left leg.

Moderate tasks, such as painting walls, CAREFULLY using a short step stool, manageable.
This is not a moderate task for a knee that is less than 2 months old. No wonder you still have pain and swelling. It's normal to have this at only 2 months out, but adding all this activity is just making it worse. Please slow down and give that poor knee time to heal. You are not even 1/6 of the way healed yet! :flwrysmile:

Susie-Q

Staff member since February2, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I agree with sistersinhim completely. Standing on step stool may seem benign but it's obvious your knee isn't ready for this. Your bones are not healed yet from the implants pounded into them, not to mention your soft tissues, muscles, ligaments, tendons are still healing. Please give your knee a chance to heal.
Joules said:
I am still experiencing pain and swelling in left leg.
Your knee is telling you that you are doing too much. Patience is what is needed right now.

aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_healinzxz.jpg

Reactions: shr
OP
OP
J

Joules

Country
I comprehend the concern about undertaking physical tasks that may seem premature. But that has been part of my learning curve to determine how soon I could return to my job. Unfortunately I have had to refuse recent offers of strenuous production work duties. I realize I have to protect/respect my knee replacement recovery.
I have started water exercises this week. Finding them to be incredibly freeing in allowing me to move without stress on joints. I will continue walking greater distances and stretching, elevating and icing. However, now I must incorporate more daily physical activities to be able to return to work by October. I must get back to work ASAP.

Susie-Q

Staff member since February2, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Totally understandable. I just wanted to explain why you are still having pain and swelling in your left leg. You can't keep pushing and pushing a joint that is healing without consequences.

Good luck! :flwrysmile:

kneeper

Staff member since January 6, 2014
BoneSmart Staff
Country
We often think we need to "get in shape" to go back to work. Knee recovery is not like working out to get in shape to run a race, for example. Less can actually be more in getting ready to go back to work. Giving your knee the rest to heal (while gradually increasing your activities) should get you there.

It sounds like you have a very physical job. To some extent your stamina is just going to take a while to get back--you had major surgery after all. Keep gauging your activities--if doing something hurts for more than an hour or so after (or that night is bad) then you know you overdid. Scale down for a few days and then try again. That counts for water exercise too, :swim:which can be deceptively easy at the time you're doing it. But it is a good way to get some exercise that is not as tough on the knee.

OP
OP
J

Joules

Country
I am surprised that I am a bit sore from even the water exercises this week! Finding a good balance of daily activities combined with deliberate exercise has been a challenge. Hip replacement(s) was so much easier and was a much faster recovery. I am still taking 1- 200 mg Celebrex in the morning. Also 2 - 500 mg Tylenol later in the day for swelling and pain. Less pain overall, just achy legs mostly. Found out my iron is low, so back to the daily vitamins to boost that, and help with overall bruising...wearing good supportive footwear is important now, too. I go barefoot in my house throughout the day, stretching and balance exercises seem easier to perform.
I appreciate Susie-Q and kneeper, for your thoughtful responses. Thank you!

beachy

post-grad
Country
@Joules
I found that water exercise where you have to push off the bottom of the pool hurt my knees before I even knew they were arthritic. I avoid it now.
I remember a post op appt after my ltkr. My doc explained that most joint replacement surgery....he used hips as ex were a steady improvement. He said tkr recovery is all over the place.

OP
OP
J

Joules

Country
I agree 100% with your physician's analysis. I am improving, but definitely a roller coaster day to day.

OP
OP
J

Joules

Country
10 Weeks today since TLKR. Pleased to report that I am less and less "aware" of my knee replacement, excepting when I overdo activity. Water exercise has proven to be a wonderful assist in recovery. I purchased a foam pad to practice balancing exercises, and a nylon looped stretching strap to assist with flexion. Swelling has lessened; knee feels looser as a result. Walking gait smoother and faster. Overall recovery continues in a positive direction!

benne68

Staff member since February 4, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Great report, @Joules! Glad that water exercise is working so well for you. Slow and steady is the best way to progress.
:flwrysmile:

sistersinhim

Staff member since March 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
and a nylon looped stretching strap to assist with flexion.
Most people find that using a strap to help with flexion causes more pain and swelling. Be careful with it.

OP
OP
J

Joules

Country
Today I am reassured at 3 months from TLKR . I continue to add more physical activities and am not experiencing undue pain or discomfort. I am increasing my walking and incorporating some light weights to gentle workouts. Next week I will return to working a live event production. I will be mindful and careful of my workload. Happily I have landed another job that doesn't require heavy lifting nor climbing ladders! I am thankful of all the advice and support I have received on this forum. I will continue to follow other's sagas of recovery. I anticipate a TRKR eventually, but at least I now know what to expect. Joint replacement is life-changing, that's for sure!

hawk2go

Staff member since January 6, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@Joules, I'm so glad you got to that reassured phase. You made it and eventually you will let the right knee join the bionic party. As they used say - Keep On Truckin'.
:flwrysmile::walking:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Wally07
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom