Revision TKR Jo's revision arthroplasty

Well, things aren't so good, I'm afraid. My knee is very good though the incision site is almost totally healed. But I still get heat though no swelling in the knee. It's 9 weeks out and though I'm no longer taking pain meds - apart from the occasional paracetamol, usually at night - I still have to be careful with walking and going out shopping and such. That generally is okay but when I get home, my knee aches like the very devil! The one thing that bothers me more than anything is a pain in my lower shin and ankle. I mentioned this to the surgeon at my 6 week check-up and he admitted it was 'probably' his fault because he'd 'given my lower leg a pretty good hammering during the 4½ surgery because the tibial stem was very difficult to get in! That was nice to know!

It's now been another 4 weeks since and my shin is still inflamed and painful and when I get into bed, the extra heat makes it necessary to take a small dose of oramorph. I have another appointment with him on 25th and intend to talk to him about it then.

I'm seeing him then because when I went previously, everyone kept commenting that I was as 'white as a sheet' so he wanted some bloods done. So he wants to discuss the results with me. But my GP already got them so she told me they're all clear! Still no idea why I was so pale though, except I wasn't eating at all!

Hi Jo.
Hate to know you have had alot of struggles and you aren't feeling like things are bouncing back as quickly as you'd like.
Please do remind yourself to eat for nutrition, if not for hunger.
Pretend you are one of your patients. :) :-) (:
Liver and onions? Good to plump up your blood.
Sending good mojo your way!

Sounds like you have a strong tibia bone. Sorry you have not been eating well and you have pain from the hammering. I hope the pain will decrease and your appetite will increase, with time. Sometimes a new entree helps pique my appetite.

Your expertise has been missed here on the forum! I'm glad you have been taking your own advise and putting your recovery first by not returning to your job on the forum before you're ready. I'm so sorry to hear you have had some setbacks, and hope that you will soon find yourself feeling stronger, and feeling less pain. Good luck with your upcoming appointments, and your recovery.

Have you tried prescription topical Voltaren gel for your shin/ankle? Best wishes for your recovery.

Hammering? Ouch.
Hope you get relief soon.
Snuggle with those cats.

Sorry to hear you're struggling. It sounds as if I'm trying to tell my grandmother to suck eggs and you may have tried it anyway, but I wonder if your tip to wrap the leg in clingfilm might help? On a different forum someone found that massaging her leg with castor oil at night before wrapping in clingfilm really helped with inflammation and night pain.

it was 'probably' his fault because he'd 'given my lower leg a pretty good hammering during the 4½ surgery because the tibial stem was very difficult to get in!
I gritted my teeth when I read this. No wonder your shin and ankle are hurting! But, you already know you are very early in your recovery. Going shopping at 2 months is really rough on a baby knee. Can you have the things you need delivered?

Ouch.. ouch.. ouch... not liking the sound of those long stems Jo .....hoping time will see those
pains in your shin & ankle go away...
We are all wishing you well ... having just had a TKR if a revision is ever mentioned I will run for the hills... :no-fin:

Ow, your poor leg! Good to see you around Josephine! :wave:

@Josephine There aren't enough words to express how grateful I am to you. I read and re-read your advice to others during my darkest hours. You were my sunshine. I am so sorry you are going through this journey. You are in my prayers.

I'm so sorry you're having a bit of a rough go of things, Jo. You are missed here, but I am glad you're taking the time you need to fully recover before resuming your duties. I totally understand the long stems and the pain they can cause; my very best good wishes and prayers for the bone remodeling needed to stop that pain are speeding your way.

@Josephine, would love an update. I'm concerned about my revision and it has been about 14 1/2 months. Let us know how you are doing. Merry Christmas to you!!! :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:

I hope you are recovering well, Jo.
We miss you! :carols:

Thinking of you @Josephine Hoping your pain has lessened in your shin and ankle. I sure hope you are on the up swing. Wanted to wish you Happy Holidays. You have helped so many people here. Hope you are rewarded with excellent care and a complete recovery.

:happy-new-years-toast-smiley-emoticon:

Josephine,
Wishing you a Merry Christmas, and continued healing.
baby-jesus

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom