Revision TKR Jolease's knee saga part 3<^

I have been doing no exercises and I do take Tylenol 1000 mg 3x a day and today I just started back on Celebrex.
Okay, I get it now. It was not clear before.
I just don’t want to jump into a TKR if I have any chance the pain and irritation will eventually subside.
I think the chances of it subsiding are remote. Partials are renowned for failing and so very many of them have to be converted to totals, it's not true! I think you WILL be better off having it converted and the sooner the better.

@Josephine Thanks you for your insight. This is definitely an emotional and painful roller coaster . After I see the 2nd opinion surgeon I will report back. :thankyou:

@SueWStrong . You have been through so much! My mom had rheumatoid arthritis to , she also did hand surgeries, but her nodules grew back. It’s a awful disease, Big hugs and hope you continue to heal well from your tkr. Once I talk to the 2nd opinion I will report back what he says .

@Jolease, I hope you're considering a TKR. Will you be talking with the first surgeon again? I know what you mean about not wanting to go through the extra difficulty of seeing a surgeon in Vancouver. It's something you should do, though, if that would give you the best chance of a successful revision.

We see quite a few younger members like yourself who either try PKR first and get a TKR revision, or who go directly to TKR. Most express concern about whether they can achieve good activity and quality of life after TKR. Younger people look forward to decades more time with their knees, so that's a natural concern. What I've seen is that these members end up more active than they thought they would be, and are happy they had the surgery. Trying looking through some of the TKR recovery threads, or go to the Pre-Op area and do a search for "younger TKR" to find some of the members who are younger (some of whom also have posted recovery threads).

I hope your second opinion visit goes well!

@SusieShoes I will be seeing the new surgeon in 8-12 weeks. The one I’m seeing is good, so I’m going to talk with him and go from there. I know I need to do whatever it takes. I have a question, when you have a tkr, does your stride feel normal or does it feel like you can only go so far then the prosthesis stops you. I hope that made sense. I am having so many leg issues and I feel it’s because I don’t extend fully as I walk due to the prosthesis. I had the revision to adjust the plate, but I think it’s still off. I can fully extend my knee but while walking it’s like i can’t relax into the stride. I will go check out the information you suggested, thanks so much!

I think when the TKR is done correctly, it will feel fine. Probably not quite 100% like our natural knee felt before, but to a good extent that we hardly notice it.

For those of us with a bad outcome, it just never feels right.

I’m not yet at the point that I can’t wait for that day to come. I’m still scared to death to try again. :bawl:

I have a question, when you have a tkr, does your stride feel normal or does it feel like you can only go so far then the prosthesis stops you. I hope that made sense. I am having so many leg issues and I feel it’s because I don’t extend fully as I walk due to the prosthesis. I had the revision to adjust the plate, but I think it’s still off.
I've had a PKR that was revised to a TKR and I have a TKR in the other knee.

I can honestly say that my knee feels perfectly normal with both TKRs. Both knees straighten fully. There's no reason why a knee replacement, either PKR or TKR, if done properly, would prevent your knee from extending (or flexing) normally.

The reason why most people find that extension is slow to develop is that the large muscles and tendons at the back of the leg haven't yet stretched far enough. It has nothing to do with the mechanics of the replacement hardware.

Are you going to mention allergy testing to the new OS to rule out that possibility?

Yes, I’m hoping they will run a couple of tests before hand to rule them out. I just hope fresh eyes will see there is a problem and take me on .

I had allergy test both patch and blood test. I was allergic to almost all metals, so I was able to make an informed decision.

@jboles what we’re your symptoms? Or did you get tested before your tkr? If the 2nd opinion says the “ x-rays” look good, I’ll scream. That’s when I’ll be asking to have the tests run and also I still think the implant is not correctly in.

I took it upon myself to get tested prior to TKR. I’ve always had problems with jewelry, so I was worried about nickel. Turns out it was a lot more than nickel.

Thanks. I don’t think I have a jewellery allergy, but will ask about it regardless when I see 2nd opinion surgeon.

Hi, @Jolease I was sorry to read that you have no answers yet to your issues. I would encourage you to hang on until you get a second opinion, especially since you seem to have lost faith in your surgeon. :console2: I am in a similar place.

Hi @Jockette . Thank-you I’m trying so hard to be patient but things are so bad I can’t handle much more. The pain is one thing but the constant irritation and burning is enough to make a person insane. Have you sought out a second opinion? I’m so frustrated that I’ve been left like this with no answers and seem to just be getting worse. I’m calling my gp’s office today to find out when the referral to new surgeon was. I know was October but I want to know weeks so at least I can call new surgeons office and ask if they have a date for me. I just feel so blah and it’s the holidays . :bawl:

:console2::console2:I haven’t had any more opinions since June. My insurance deductible starts over in January, so I’m waiting for that. (I’ll probably come up with another excuse in January :bawl:)

I don’t have a lot of pain-the kind that makes me think ouch, but like you I have a lot of discomfort, any time I’m weight bearing. Sometimes I can get interested in whatever activity I’m doing which takes my mind off it, but it’s never far from my mind. But my X-rays look great, so “there’s no problem” :doh:

The last thing I want is another surgery but I know I can’t go on like this. Mine is pain and I can’t walk more than 2 minutes straight without pain and has never felt like my leg since second surgery. I’d really like them to figure it out. I would take back my arthritis pain apposed to what I have now. Woulda, coulda, shoulda syndrome- sigh. It’s been a long 14 months. I was asked what I’d like for Christmas and I replied a call from the surgeons office with a date to see him lol. P.s my x-rays look great to lol

If it were me, I wouldn't be wanting a revision to another PKR. The usual procedure is to revise to a TKR.

As Josephine said, PKRs don't have a very good track record of lasting. Mine lasted for 11 years, which is longer than anyone else's on BoneSmart.
Now I've had it revised to a TKR, I declined the offer of a PKR on my other knee, but asked to have a TKR.

Why have a revision to another PKR that could need revising again in just a few years, 10-15 maximum?
A TKR could last 30+ years - much longer than a PKR.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back