Joint stiffness and pain 3 months after TKN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicki

Hi everyone,
I am new to this site. I searched for it because I have been really struggling since my TKR 3 months ago. My knee became stiff almost immediately after surgery. I was only able to get to a 65 degree bend after 3 weeks (and home PT), so my Dr. manipulated it and got to 90 degrees within a few days. Then after lots of PT (and working on stretching hourly) it took 4 more weeks to get to 100 degrees. Now after 3 months and lots of pain anytime I move, I've only reached 104 degrees. My PT keeps saying I just need to keep doing my exercizes and stretches and it will come, but it is getting so old. I'm still taking Darvocet around the clock so I can work my knee, but my Dr. wants me off it within the next week. So I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation and what else I can do to get more range of motion and when the pain will get better? I’m so tired of hearing success stories of people feeling so much better within a month or so. So far my pain is still much worse than it was pre surgery. Also, I’m 50 and was in pretty good shape before my surgery – as good as I could be with limited knee use. I have heard that younger patients sometimes have more trouble with getting range of motion. I am so frustrated and starting to get very depressed and cry almost daily and wonder if I’m ever going to get better. Thanks for any thoughts… Vicki

I am 46 and had BI-TKR 9 weeks ago my knees are still very stiff at times but I am not having as much pain as you describe. My extension is 0% and 130% flexion on each knee. I am sorry you are having so much trouble but I understand each person no matter the age heals differently. I have been off all med except for Ibuprofen for the last two weeks.

Keep the faith, Good Luck!

Welcome to BoneSmart, Viki. You do sound down in the dumps! I think you sound clinically depressed as well as in pain and should talk to your doctor about it. On the one hand it's understandable he wants you off Darvocet but have you asked him what he is going to give you instead? Tnhere are lots of other meds out there you could have instead. Tylenol and ibuprofen together give good relief to some. But there are plenty on here who have had their strong meds for six months or more. You should stand up to him and tell him how you feel, how much pain you are in and how desperate you feel, how much you cry in despair and pain.

Actually, I don't know of many who have felt better after a month or so, quite the reverse. So don't lay that on yourself. Flexion can go on improving for months even up to a year. As the PT said, it will come. Go easy on yourself and just do the stuff. 3 months is early days anyway without the MUA and all. Take it easy, Take it a day at a time and stop beating yourself up about it.

But most of all - go talk to your doctor.

Viki, you might want to talk with your GP in addition to your surgeon regarding pain management. Sometimes you can get more understanding of the problem from a GP. Not sure why that is, but it has been true for some folks on the forum. Hang in there.....it does take time to feel better. I was 4-5 months before I STARTED to feel human again and each person is different.

Darvocet isn't that strong. It's been my prescribed "use whenever--up to three a day" for a couple years now. It wouldn't have touched the pain I had earlier on. Talk to your primary care doctor about pain control. Good pain control allows you to push harder to get ROM.

Vicki

I had the same problem. At 3 months (after 2 weeks inpatient rehab and 3x a week PT and lots of home exercise) I was around 102 on the right with extension down to -8 and the left one around 105. The OS was thinking about an MUA but do to a break in the tibia with the right TKR this was not a good choice. So we went with aggressive PT. It was very very slow but after 7 months of PT we did get the right to about 115 to 118, and -2 extension and the left one to 120 and 0. I have a check up with PT tommorrow (1 month since last PT) to make sure it holds.

I still exercise everyday and bike at least 30 minutes.

I hope this helps you to keep going.

Simon

Thanks to all who have responded and offered support. It does help to know that I'm not alone. I've been reading lots of other postings to see what others are going through and this is a wonderful support group with many very supportive members. I'm definitely going try to see my OS as soon as possible. At first he didn't want to see me until the beginning of March - 4 months post-op. And then if I'm not satisfied with his pain management suggestion, I'll try my primary MD. Thanks!!! Vicki

Hi Vicki....you're in good company, and while lots of us are very happy with our new knees, it usually didn't happen in the first three months! I didn't start to be comfortable and happy with mine until about 5 months, minimum.

Please pay attention to Josephine's comment about depression. Because of the great folks on this board, I knew to watch for depression symptoms--or--more truthfully, to listen to my husband when he said I was crying way too much and just not myself. I went to my GP and she put me on a mild antidepressant and it was a lifesaver! I started feeling more like myself, even though my knee was still not great, and the pain and rehab work became a bit easier to cope with.

I'm still on it, and will stay on it through the rehab for my next knee (getting done on Thursday). Its not a miracle, but just one more tool in our toolbox that helps make the recovery process bearable.

Weezy

Weezy,
Thanks for your note and support. I hope your surgery tomorrow goes very smoothly and you have a much quicker recovery this time around. That's my worst nightmare right now, that I'll have to have my left knee done also - it's been painful for awhile, but not as bad as my right which had the TKR. I'm trying to become more patient with my progress. But I'm also so tired of my lack of concentration and energy to get anything done besides my PT.
Vicki

Then I will say it again - 3 months is still early days for some. It can wear you down but as the man said "This too shall pass"!

Vicki....listen to Jo....she knows! And so do the rest of us Kneesals, most of whom took many more than three months to get energy and full activity levels back. I'm coming up on my 1-year anniversary and I'm still working very hard on my right (TKR) leg. The knee is fine and stable, but my muscles are not at full strength and so much tighter than my left leg. My trainer has me doing all kinds of stretches to work that tightness out and it's STILL taking a long time! Focus on the good things - stable joint, no joint pain, surgery behind you - and everything else will come in time! Hang in there!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member