TKR Joint lubrication in an artificial knee joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

karateman

Country
Canada Canada
Hi everybody. My understanding is that pressure on the meniscus of a healthy knee joint causes the production of joint-lubricating synovial fluid. My impression is that in the absence of cartilidge, i.e., in a totally replaced knee joint, this synovial fluid is no longer present, and that the joint is essentially "dry", or, at most, perhaps immersed in some other type of bodily fluid. However I recently read something somewhere (I can't remember where--"old timer's disease") that synovial fluid may still be present to help lubricate an artificial joint. Does anybody have any information on this that they could share?

Karateman,
Synovial fluid is made in the synovium, which continues to lubricate the joint after TKR.
In a healthy knee pressure (during weight bearing), and the release of pressure (during non weight bearing) on the meniscus and the knee cartilage allows nurtrients and oxygen to be exchanged.
Google synovial joints for additional information,

in a totally replaced knee joint, this synovial fluid is no longer presen
A grave misconception, my friend! The synovial membrane is an extensive structure which nominally lines the knee joint but also the many folds of capsule around it that are like pleats in a blouse that allow movement. Very little of it is interfered with during a knee replacement, much less removed. This image (which is actually explaining bursae) shows the membrane in light blue. So have no fear, there is still plenty of synovium left to produce the required lubricant for our metal knees. And it's much better than 3-in-1 as well! :wink:

synovium.jpg

Your new knee being a young thing, may just say, "it's OK to mow", then when you are done, "Just Kidding:heehee:".

Thanks for the reassuring information Josephine. I was reading an article that stated synovial fliud adsorbs readily on to the Co-Cr and helps lubricate it; but that it doesn't help the ultra high density polyethylene very much. But hey! a little lubrication is better than none I would suppose.

Remember to go slow, I also like your attitude. Having some is better than none. Take care and remember to rest, ice, elevate, and pain control. Tashia

I've had two synovectomies -- that's removal of synovium due to excessive production of joint fluid. You're thinking why two? Well it grows back. And I still have excess joint fluid. The body is an amazing thing.

I was reading an article that stated synovial fliud adsorbs readily on to the Co-Cr and helps lubricate it; but that it doesn't help the ultra high density polyethylene very much.
Where did you read that? Actually, the polyethylene doesn't need much lubrication, it's the perfect substance for a joint!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member