Finger/Thumb Joint fusion?

pg58

Country
United States United States
Thx I was offered to have either just a cyst removal or joint fusion of the Left index finger. Has anyone had a joint fusion and if so how does it affect your usage of that hand, meaning do you notice it much and do you get used to it. This is not my dominant hand

Hi @pg58 , I haven't had a finger joint fused but I have had a cyst removed (right DIP joint cyst excision). The cyst had formed on the arthritic joint and become large enough to keep getting knocked. After a second infection I referred myself to the hand surgeon I was already seeing for wrist problems. He successfully removed the cyst and a bone spur below. The incision was 'H' shaped and healed beautifully. This is my dominant hand and I have had no problems using my finger since.

In 2016 I had my left wrist fused due to widespread arthritic damage. Prior to that I read as much as I could about the surgery and remember seeing the suggestion to strap the wrist to experience what it would be like when it no longer flexed. Perhaps this is something you could do to your finger.

I also remember the surgeon describing the fusion surgery as the 'last resort' as there is no way back from it. If you initially have the cyst removed would that prevent the joint being fused in the future?

@pg58 I would have to agree with EmEm that it may be advisable to try the cyst removal first before jumping into joint fusion. While it's good that the problem is not on your dominant hand, I'm you would undoubtedly notice some loss of function after a fusion, just because of the nature of the procedure. I'm sure you would adjust, but if just removing the cyst would get the job done, it would be better.

Please let us know how things go and what you decide to do.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
loo_who_too
Recent bookmarks