Bilateral TKR Second Year Progress

I understand your fear. Infection is never a good thing. I still fear it every time one of my knees yelps.

In reality, though, the “you know what” is a more likely menace. :dead: Studies have shown there’s not much to fear from having dental procedures following knee replacement.

I too had your fears... I had to answer 5 questions at my OS office - my answers qualified me to not take antibiotics prior to cleaning; however, I was still nervous since so many OS here in the states all have differing opinions on this... so - My dentist office keeps the antibiotic and I take them when I'm there for cleaning or if they must puncture skin, etc. I asked my OS about the dermatologist and he said instantly that there was no need to take antibiotic for any scrapes/biopsies etc. (I have had them for basal cell).

A friend of mine's mother, who had her knee replaced 1 day after mine, has been in the hospital with multiple infections in her body for 4 months (I think it started with a burst apendix). Very very dangerous infections. She is just now being able to maybe be moved to a rehab floor.... Through all of this - her knee joint has remained okay. I've been praying nothing settles in that knee because this is the last thing she needs. So, maybe our knees are tougher than we give them credit for.

Infection and metal allergy are always in the back of my mind. Why can't I just enjoy my new knee without having concerns! Maybe after a few years!

With your other hand, you can also hold my virtual hand. We can maybe start something and make a chain of solidarity! Imagine a chain of TKR survivors looping the world! Let's go for it!

Seriously, I am one of those whose OS insists that I take an antibiotic 1 hour before any dental procedure, and especially before cleanings, which surprised me--I guess there's more bacteria floating around on cleaning occasions! That extra protection has allayed my fears, and I have had two cleanings, an emergency tooth-breakage incident, and a crown installed since my TKR. My dose, which is the same as yours, wreaked no havoc on my system, BTW. And I have a --ahem!--delicate system. Hopefully, you will be okay with that, too.

My OS has had only 1 patient develop an infection in around 30 years of doing multiple weekly TKRs, PKRs, THRs, etc. He says, "Go the extra mile."

Oh gosh @Polkadot thanks so much for your dental history. That makes me feel so much better. I have cancelled this dental appointment twice due to cold feet, but I am going to show up for it tomorrow. I am moving in 10 days and don't want to have to find a dentist to get a cleaning in the first month after my move in a new city.

And yes @sistersinhim metal allergies and infection are always lurking in the back of my mind as well. Can you imagine what a heart transplant goes through? Well, I'm sure I"ll be fine. No major dental work, just a cleaning. And I haven't had a cleaning since last June because my knees were so bad leading up to my September surgery, although I did have a root canal (ouch) during June. Oh my gosh I was so happy that the root canal issue happened before the surgery, because it would have been heck dealing with it after the surgery, that's for sure.

With your other hand, you can also hold my virtual hand. We can maybe start something and make a chain of solidarity! Imagine a chain of TKR survivors looping the world! Let's go for it!

@Polkadot What a lovely thought. You made me smile and forget my worries.

Good luck tomorrow. I guess for me it doesn't seem like a big deal to take antibiotics twice a year for teeth cleaning. My doctor wants me to do it so I'll trust his word. A friend of ours has had two heart valve replacements and his infection control dr. insists he take antibiotics before seeing the dentist. Of course, that's a lot more serious.

And just think. Your move is coming up soon! We'll all want to know how it goes and how you like your new place. Don't wear yourself out packing!

@MSgirl I tried to "like" your message but the button wouldn't respond. So I'm "liking" it here. :)

How did your dentist appt. go?

Yes, I too am wondering how your dentist visit was. I forgot to mention to you that if you are anxious about any dental visit, including teeth cleanings, you could ask for nitrous oxide (laughing gas), which you breathe through a nose piece while the dentist is working on you. Calms me right down!

Well, I survived the cleaning. Not sure I'm going to survive the four horse pills I took before I went - lol. Tummy is rolling around quite a bit right now.

The hygienist was very kind and gentle, and gave me a big hug when I left, as I am moving and that was my last visit to that office. Very sweet.

Tell you what, after reading SherrieT's account of that terrible fall she took, breaking the window pane with her head, a little trip to the dentist seems pretty tame.

I treated myself to a chocolate/salted caramel frozen yogurt after the appointment, which was fun and very yummy. I was excited to walk all the way across the parking lot from the Albertson's to the Golden Spoon - something I haven't been able to do in a long time. And I was reminded how much energy it took to do everything, getting out of the car and setting up the walker, and always calculating distances and trying to snag a handicap parking place. So much strategy just to do an ordinary grocery run. But no more, now that I have my fabulous knees!

Thanks for the follow up MSgirl and Polkadot. Hope you are having a great evening, although since I am three hours behind you, you are very likely in bed already.

I should be in bed but am watching Olympic skating. You are moving down your check-off list. Dentist - done! What comes next for you? How many days before your move?

It had to be fantastic for you today doing something so simple to most folks: parking wherever and just walking into the ice cream store. And you did it! I really don't wish bad knees on anyone. We all have some sort of cross to bear and at least right now, ours seem to be knees. And it could be a lot worse. But - accomplishing what you have makes me smile and I wish I could have been there to celebrate with you.

Thanks for your update. Hope you sleep well tonight.

@MSgirl I watched some of the Olympics but then wanted to get my bonesmart fix - I am not a multi-tacker, so turned tv off.

Next for me is two students in the morning, and then lunch with my two CA besties, Bev and Jill. Then I have to run to the credit union and close an account, and hit Trader Joe's. Then home again, home again, jiggity jig.

My SoCal son and family are coming Sat evening to take some clothes to donate and books that we are selling, and to take me out to dinner. So fun. Gosh I will miss them so much. I have two sons, one here in SoCal and one in Denver where I am moving. In CA I have three grandchildren, two boys 9 and 16, and one girl, 11. They are my heart. In Denver I have two grand girls, 5 and 7. So I am blessed.

How are you doing MSgirl? Tomorrow is your one month kneeversary. Which knee this time? Think back to what you were doing one month ago - egads, glad you aren't there, right?

@mlwreader So happy your trip to dentist went well. But the best was hearing about you going to to get the frozen yogurt, and my favorite flavor too! I can just imagine you walking, free and easy, and doing regular things. The joy of the small things...

I understand about mixed feelings about moving and leaving part of your family. I tell my kids that no matter where I go, to Tucson or to Rhode Island, that I am leaving behind half my heart. Are you ready for the Denver weather? It was a bit of a shock going from Tucson to Rhode Island but I do love the changing of the seasons.

Don't overdo it and again, thank you so much for the support and friendship you have shown me. You help make this crazy journey bearable.

Yes, I too have begun to click - which is coinciding with reduction in swelling. Any connection? I want to blame it on my dental appointment because I dislike dental appointments so much - kidding. Anyway, no pain with the clicking, and it seems like a friendly sound. :)

@mlwreader, today is a big day for you. Company coming, cleaning out and a family dinner. I think even if we aren't moving away from family, moves are just hard. I've had tears in my eyes at the last two closings when we were leaving for other cities. But, it's also exciting to look forward to new friends, experiences, geography, etc. I used to think it was easier to move when we had young children so we could meet other women at school drop-offs and PTA but it's turned out that now I'm willing to put out a little more effort and look around for something that interests me. Denver sounds absolutely incredible. I've never seen it in real life but the pictures are beautiful. I'm sorry Peyton has retired. He was our guy with his MS and TN connections. We don't live near a big city here in MS so can only imagine all the opportunities you will have available to you in Denver. I hate to say I'm envious but I am.

Don't go too crazy working on your move. There will be ice cream stores in Denver that you will want to walk to!

Clicks are just our knees talking to us. My right knee clicked first, around four months, about the time its pain and swelling decreased dramatically and I had begun walking somewhat longer distances. The clicking went away about a month later. Lefty followed a month after that. Again, the clicking went away. I still hear/feel a clunk here and there. All normal.

I don’t live near any of my grandchildren, but I wish I did. You really are blessed. I hope you love living in Colorado; it’s a beautiful state. The scenery in some areas is spectacular. I used to live there. :)

Last edited:
The clicking and clunking are weird but I'll take them over my old grinding any day!

I got a bit excited when I heard the little click click. Just a final confirmation (as it the huge incisions and pain weren't enough) that it's real. They are in there!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks