THR JoeKnows Recovery

Hold the littles close.
Lots of kisses and hugs for daddy will be a sweet distraction.
Wishing you comfort as you wait.
@JoeKnows

Hey Joe...
Hope you're hanging in there and things aren't too uncomfortable for you.
Only a couple weeks to go until you gain relief.
Stay in touch, we'll be here.
@JoeKnows

Yes, Joe.
What Layla said!:friends:

:goodpost: both of them! Hang in there, I think you will bounce right back after the Aug 20 procedure. We will be here, cheering you on.
Your children sound like fun! You describe their antics/activites well.

Hi Joe,

Sending healing energy your way and positive thoughts for an easy surgery on the 20th that resolves your problems. You are almost there.

Quick update - as with my replacement, my body is trying to trick me into not following through with surgery, haha. We went to Yosemite this weekend (Friday through Monday), and I was very active with little trouble beyond muscle soreness. I was towing two kids in a trailer behind my bike, went for a couple of short hikes (Lower Yosemite Falls and Mirror Lake, both from Lower Pines if anyone is wondering), and generally did all the camp work. I did consciously avoid the movements I know trigger the groin pain (crouching and rotating to my left with weight on the left foot). After the rare bouts of sitting for a while at the end of the day, I had scares of the sharp pain that made me decide to get the wire removed, but it was gone in the mornings. I was expecting pain and brought ice packs / pain pills to manage it without taking this trip away from my girls, but didn't need either.

Of course I'm still going to follow through, I just came on to read my earlier posts and remember what a pain (literally and metaphorically) it is when it acts up. At the pre-op, the surgeon said he expects it to be very minor, but he isn't going to "get cute" and try to make a smaller incision than he needs to get it done cleanly. He says the recovery is pretty variable - I recognized that as "managing expectations," which I do frequently when talking to clients. My eldest is starting kindergarten tomorrow, and he basically said the limiting factor on pick up / drop off would be whether I feel I need opiates (and of course no driving if I do).

When pressed, he said he would not be surprised if I'm able to go about my normal business within a couple days (except caring for the incision). He said that if things go according to plan, I should be good to drive a few hours to my out of town fantasy football draft five days post op (assuming I'm off the major pain pills and stop to walk around every 30 minutes for clotting reasons). It's trivial, but this draft is the one time a year I see my college buddies, so fingers crossed.

Even though the timing is terrible for work and personal reasons, just gotta get this done. If it solves the groin pain problem, awesome - if it doesn't, at least we've eliminated the most likely cause and I'll deal with whatever comes next.

As always, very much appreciate the support from this forum. I think I've turned my girls into camping people, so hopefully I'll be able to come here and tell the story of taking them backpacking despite the hip next year!

Hi @JoeKnows
I'm so glad you were able to have a good camping trip without alot of discomfort. I do love to camp and glad your girls love it too.
Nice to see a kid want to be outdoors nowadays.
And off to Big Girl school, I bet your daughter is excited.

I hope this resolves all of your issues and will be keeping fingers crossed for a super speedy recovery:fingersx:

As always, very much appreciate the support from this forum. I think I've turned my girls into camping people, so hopefully I'll be able to come here and tell the story of taking them backpacking despite the hip next year!

That will be great. We'd love to hear all about it, but please come back before then and let us know how you're doing after the cerclage wire removal next Tuesday.
Wishing you all the best, Joe!
@JoeKnows

Good luck next week, Joe! It sounds like you and your surgeon are in agreement that this is the best course of action. But it’s still scary to think about going under the knife again. Just keep your thoughts on the end goal of pain free camping trips with your Littles!

Hey Joe,
Best wishes for tomorrow. I'll bet you do great. :thumb:
Drop by the forum while you're laying around and let us know how you're doing. We'll be here.
Will look forward to an update and some JoeKnows humor.
@JoeKnows

Thanks @Layla and will do. I was actually just reading back through @BionicButt 's blog, since I've been getting some nerves - not so much about the procedure itself, but work and all the other commitments I have coming up... I know it's anecdotal evidence, but it's reassuring that she felt great by day 3. Of course, I cleared my calendar for two weeks, but I really don't want to have to be sidelined for that long.

Anyway, the doc said he'd schedule me as his first surgery tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be in my recliner writing rambling posts by lunchtime, haha.

All the best tomorrow! See you back here soon!

Sending all the best mojo your way, @JoeKnows
:tada:

Hoping that the surgery goes well today and that your recovery is AMAZINGLY swift and strong!! Gotta be able to keep up with those little girls of yours!

Aaaand out of surgery. Anesthesia mostly worn off, and I'm in the recovery unit. Apparently PT is walking around, so crossing my fingers they'll get in here soon to clear me.

Apparently there was a cyst by the IT band (benign), so he pulled that out. Frankly I was still floating when he explained that, so I'll get more detail at the follow up appointment.

Hurts a bit right now, and I can't really tell the difference with that darn triangle pillow strapped between my legs, but... It's done.

Edit: alright, PT gave me the all clear. Walking with a cane is not a problem (though I do have pain meds on board... I think tramadol and Tylenol). Just waiting on the doc to clear me.

Last edited:
Hi Joe, :wave:
Thankfully it's over! Possibly you're even home by now. What's the Recovery supposed to be like?
I wasn't aware they used those triangle pillows anymore. What a nuisance that must be.
I hope you're pain stays well managed and you can get some rest soon.
Wishing you a comfortable evening!
@JoeKnows

I SHOULD be home already, but this has been bit disorganized... I suspect they're understaffed. Was waiting on discharge paperwork, and the nurse realized she never gave me the ordered antibiotics, so that took 45 minutes. After that I called the pharmacy to confirm that the new meds (specifically Tramadol) was ready... Turned out it was never called in due to a miscommunication. I told the doc I have leftover Norco at home because I got off of it quickly last time, but I was out of Tramadol - he heard the opposite. While that was getting dealt with, my ride had to go pick up my kids on the other side of town... So now I'm ready to go home, just waiting for the ride. Phew!

I feel fine. Definitely tempted to overdo it, but I promise I'll chill out (both metaphorically and with actual ice packs) while it heals up.

On an unrelated note, the gentleman sharing a room with me is... Very interesting. All you nurse's who have to deal with patients like that, I salute you!

On an unrelated note, the gentleman sharing a room with me is... Very interesting. All you nurse's who have to deal with patients like that, I salute you!

Boy isn't that the truth!!

Sorry to hear that getting discharged was a bit scattered. Hopefully you are bundled up in the car and on your way home, if not already there. Sounds like the surgery went well.. congratulations!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie