THR Joe G.'s recovery thread

Just to update, I'm feeling quite a bit better. It's currently Monday night, surgery was a week ago Thursday, so ~11 days have gone by. I was pretty surprised by how hurting I was the first week, I had somehow translated the "easier" recovery from an anterior procudeure with an "easy" recovery and that was a mistake that's on me. I guess I wanted to believe it would be easy. It wasn't exactly easy. It's also not over, so things could go in any direction still.

But the last time I checked in, 4 days ago, I was still pretty hurting and there really hadn't been any change since I came home from the hospital a week earlier. In the past 4 days there has been some change. Yesterday I went outside for a walk. I didn't go very far, maybe 200 yards total, but I did it with no problem except some soreness. And despite the fact that it was chilly and gray man was it nice to get out of the house. Today I went again and went twice as far and again no problems. Tomorrow I intend to go again.

I'm the cook around here normally, and I cooked dinner tonight. Nothing fancy but it was good to finally eat some decent food (sorry, Honey, I know you try!) (God help me if she sees this btw). But more than that it was good to do something normal. I needed something from the fridge and I went and got it and it wasn't until I was walking back that I realized I wasn't using my cane. It was only like 15 feet each way, but it didn't hurt anything and it was nice to have it far enough back in my mind that I wasn't even thinking about it.

As I said to my wife after my walk yesterday, my leg still hurts, but my hip feels greasy and slippery and nice - way, way, better than before. So I'm feeling much more positive. I know there's a long way to go but I'm an optimist, and as long as there's progress I'm fine. I think I've pretty much shaken off the depression I was feeling. The dog still has cancer of course (although he too seems to be feeling much better now that he's getting medicated) and the weather's still crappy, and my leg still hurts, but we're making some headway and that's a huge difference.

I wish I had found this site earlier in my journey, and I'm sure I would have been better prepared if I had so I'm going to do what I can to spread the word about it. Thanks everybody for the encouragement and information and I'll keep checking in from time to time as events warrant. Hopefully with good news but of course we'll see. I go back to the doctor the day after tomorrow, if he has anything interesting to say I'll be sure to share it.

Had an anterior total hip done January 16 by Dr. Anthony Unger at Sibley Hospital in Washington DC. Despite my stress leverl being off the charts going in my surgery was uneventful (I'm told!). Surgeon said it went "very, very, very" well and since he's done almost a thousand of them, I'll take that as a positive.

Surgery itself was a blink. They started a drip prior and the next thing I knew it was over.

They had me up on my feet using a walker ~10 hours after surgery. Definitely felt weird but not painful I stayed in the hospital overnight so they could keep an eye on me as I've had some vascular issues in the past but it was uneventful.

Friday 1/17 I came home. Here is is Thursday 1/23 and I haven't been out of the house yet! But it's been cold out and blah blah blah. Tonight we go intot he city for dinner to celebrate my son's 25th birthday. No wine for me though.

PT seems rushed. They came over prior to the operation to check out the setup here (and probably to evaluate me, although they didn't say that). PT this week was Monday and Wednesday and their last visit is scheduled for tomorrow. Even the therapist thought it was too fast a schedule but I guess they wanted me to have all 3 sessions prior to my follow-up with the doctor 1/29. I guess.

PT has wiped me out both times. Just zero energy after. Today (Thursday) I did the PT exercises on my own and promptly slept 2 hours afterwards! And here 4 hours later I'm still very sore. I normally work out pretty much every day and these are very light exercises but they're taking all I have to give.

Mainly at this point the thigh on my surgical side is quite swollen. I've been rigorous with ice and elevation. It feels better in the AM and goes downhill over the day despite not doing much.

Honestly been feeling rather depressed. But once I turn the corner on this fatigue I'm sure I'll be happier.

I know this is a major operation but everything I read prior to it suggested that recovery from an anterior procedure
was quick and easy but so far I'd have to disagree with that. My other hip is messed up too and needs help and I went into this procedure thinking I'd do the other one very soon but now I'm looking for ways to delay it, I don't want to go through this again too soon!

Not sure what else I can add right now but if you have questions I'd be happy to try to answer them.

-Joe
Hi Joe,

MY name is Shawn and I had bilateral done on 1/22 anterior .This surgery has kicked my butt hard I guess we are both in the same boat here. I know I researched this my hips were both bone on bone . My surgeon recommended both I was quite specible due to everyone I talked to never heard of both done at Once . I have been in so much pain though for over 1 year living with this condition and I knew I had to bite the bullet and run on this. My problem is same as you only both are in the same pain as of day 6 got home from hospital on 1-24 then on sat was doing great on a walker did some steps without walker but can feel it . Sunday appeared and my thighs knees calfs all puffy and swelling. I still do my sets of therapy 2 a day . I called dr yesterday they stated keep legs elevated and ice and p t and this is expected and should feel better by the second week , my follow up visit is 2/5 . Both of my legs feel like frozen logs though and when I researched this I seen people that had done and stated a breeze. well we are to tell it’s not. I feel the same crappy outside have not left house yet. My p t starts well today and comes to my house . Everyone stated ya a little surgical pain and you will pain free after all arthritis removed well I here to tell you it’s not seeing that here .Hold in there joe but we are hear to tell the facts! This is awesome that we can share are stories and help each other .the

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @JoeGee I'm glad to see you are feeling better physically and mentally. It's such a great feeling to go out of doors that first time after surgery - so uplifting for the soul to be in nature, even if it's just your front yard - and good for you for making a meal! I hope you're taking your pain meds on schedule, and if they're not giving you adequate relief you are in contact with your OS. No need to suffer unduly, although it's major surgery and we all had some degree of discomfort for awhile. Hope the days keep getting easier for you.

@Brushis: Hi Shawn, it sounds like you got it rough but at least you're doing it in in one shot - I have to go back through this, probably in the fall. I'm not sure which way is better but I know I'm not looking forrward to Round 2! But it'll be a bit easier now that I found this place. Hang in there my man it's bound to get better.

@Stripey: Yeah it was weak chilly sunlight, but it was sunlight on my face and man it felt good. RE: meds, they have me on Tylenol and Tramadol and I've been staying on schedule with that, also Celebrex a couple times a day and some baby aspirin. I'm not against Narcotics, they work well for me, and I went through what they gave me. I thought pretty hard about asking for a refill but finally decided against it. I was on percocets for the first 3 months of 2018 after my accident and they didn't really bother me and stopping them was fine too (I did a little taper at the end to smooth the landing and it seemed to work), so I almost went for more this time but at this point I'm just as glad I didn't. For me there's this kind of opioid haze you get in which you don't even really notice until you get off them and the fog lifts and that's a pretty good feeling too. Sitting right row with my leg up and ice on it and that's good too. Thanks for the thoughts and advice.

Lots of ice always helps and no fog. I iced pretty much any time I was sitting/reclining/lying down. I even took a little cooler with ice packs to bed with me so I could change in the middle of the night without going downstairs to the kitchen. It really helps.

Hi Joe
Yes I”m glad I did both at once or I might of not went back in the fall! I guess it’s up to the ortho dr I found this dr in buffalo ny area that just specialized in hips and knees and he does it anterior way. P/T come to house this morning and it went well . Icing now pain wise not bad . Swelling is still there but helps it to keep feet and knees above my waist and using ice man 2 them a lot set up but they work great .

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the cook around here normally, and I cooked dinner tonight. Nothing fancy but it was good to finally eat some decent food (sorry, Honey, I know you try!) (God help me if she sees this btw).
:rotfl::rofsign:

I'm also the cook of the family so I completely understand this sentiment. When I first went back to cooking I did let my wife help with some of the prep, chopping etc. so I didn't have to be on my feet too long. We were both happy with that arrangement since she doesn't enjoy cooking like I do and she was as happy as me to be eating better. Sounds like you are doing well, but be careful about doing too much too fast, you are at about the stage that as you are feeling better it's easy to do to much and end up in the ODIC (over did it club). Many here including myself have made that mistake at around week 3 or 4.

I'm the cook around here normally, and I cooked dinner tonight. Nothing fancy but it was good to finally eat some decent food (sorry, Honey, I know you try!) (God help me if she sees this btw).
:rotfl::rofsign:

I'm also the cook of the family so I completely understand this sentiment. When I first went back to cooking I did let my wife help with some of the prep, chopping etc. so I didn't have to be on my feet too long. We were both happy with that arrangement since she doesn't enjoy cooking like I do and she was as happy as me to be eating better. Sounds like you are doing well, but be careful about doing too much too fast, you are at about the stage that as you are feeling better it's easy to do to much and end up in the ODIC (over did it club). Many here including myself have made that mistake at around week 3 or 4.

Joe, I will take your advise and be consistent and steady and not over do.I did my exercises today for p t and I could feel the strain do what you can do and follow your body when tired .

Joe, You sound much better. I'm happy for you!

It's also not over, so things could go in any direction still.

True with anything, but with a healthy caution and a conscious effort to not overdo it, the odds of all going well are in your favor. :yes:
Today I went again and went twice as far and again no problems. Tomorrow I intend to go again.

Take it slow. I'd stay at this distance for a couple days then increase it. Not sure what type of area you live in but many have increased their walk gradually by counting mailboxes, or houses. A house or two further each day, or every other day.
Always remember you have to have enough energy to get back.
Sounds like a no brainer, but many have kept walking because they felt great then suffered half way through their return.

I'm the cook around here normally, and I cooked dinner tonight. Nothing fancy but it was good to finally eat some decent food (sorry, Honey, I know you try!) (God help me if she sees this btw)

:heehee: Funny! Between you and FCBayern, I'm feeling gypped.
Men Who Cook = Lucky Wife, lol.

I wish I had found this site earlier in my journey,

But...you found us now and we'll be here. So please don't be a stranger. It's still early days and we'd take pleasure in following and supporting you on your journey for a while longer.

Have a great rest of the week!

Thanks Layla! Since I'll probably be doing the other hip in the fall there's not much chance I'll forget you.

Went to the Doc today and he was very happy with it. Bandage is off, it's going in the right direction. I'm pretty pumped. In a calm and reasonable manner, of course.

I'm pretty pumped. In a calm and reasonable manner, of course.

Of course! :heehee:

I hope you're doing well and feeling stronger and more encouraged with each passing week. It's nice to get beyond those initial first weeks when we're at our worst. Hopefully your days are feeling much brighter, Joe. :SUNsmile:
A wonderful week to you!

Hi everybody. At I guess Day 17 of recovery (or 18, depending on when you're supposed to start counting). Still sore for sure but a little better every day. Started goign for walks outside about 6 days ago and go a little further every day. Yesterday about a half mile, most of it without the cane. I'm pretty good once I get going...but getting going isn't easy! Oh well.

Every day starts sore and ends sore but I do pretty well in between. Staying with ice and elevation when practical and/or necessary but I go periods without it too. I'm just glad that nothing seems to be wrong and I'll keep on plugging.

Hang in there everybody, I'll report back from time to time or if something noteworthy happens.

but getting going isn't easy! Oh well.

Kinda normal, really. You feel like the Tin Man when he was trying to mutter
"o-i-l c-a-n" Then all seems to ease up once you get rolling. Motion is Lotion.
Three weeks out is still very early days in the whole scheme of things and you're only 18 days post op. Slowly but surely YOU WILL get there.

Every day starts sore and ends sore but I do pretty well in between. Staying with ice and elevation when practical and/or necessary but I go periods without it too.
Hello @JoeGee Truth!! I think that middle of day zone of feeling pretty well, is very normal. When I start feeling all kinds of aches it is usually just my body saying, hey lay down we are still rebuilding in here! We only see the outside incision, but inside everything is repairing. Nerves take a long time, I think around 6 months. There was a great chart someone posted here.

Look forward to reading your next updates Joe. You seem to be doing so much better. Take care.

Possibly this is the article @Fit4Family is referencing.
Hope you're doing well, Joe. If you'd care to share an update, we're all ears. :)
A great week to you!
@JoeGee

Happy One Month Anniversary, Joe!
Can you believe it's a month already? Hopefully all is well and you're enjoying progress and life with your new hip.
I hope you have a nice week! :)
@JoeGee

Thanks Layla. Well it was a month last Thursday. It's definitely still sore but I'm getting around fine and making progress, although honestly it seems to have slowed down a bit lately. I went to the Doctor last Friday and he was happy with it so that's encouraging.

I look forward to a day when I don't even think about it but that would seem to be a ways off yet. This plae has been a great help. thank you guys for all you do. I'll keep checking back. I go back to the Doctor in a couple of weeks and they're going to do an x-ray then, I hope it's all good news but we'll see and I'll post something then about it.

Good to hear you're doing well and that you were encouraged by a nod from your surgeon's that he's pleased with your progress.

It is a ways off until your hip isn't forefront in your mind. I'll be three years post op in June and while I don't think of my hip for the majority of most days, not a day goes by that I don't remember I've experienced THR. I will admit due to forgetting, I sometimes find myself thinking, in hindsight, "Umm, maybe I shouldn't have done that." So there's proof that there is a good measure of relaxation that does eventually come.

Thanks for your kind words in regard to BoneSmart and it's members. Please do check back and let us know how your appt goes. We'd love to share in your progress as you continue to heal. It's also inspirational to those following behind you. Thanks for responding, Joe. Have a great week!
@JoeGee

@JoeGee :wave: I just caught up with your thread and have to say.... you are making progress!
I bet it feels good, too.
You are getting close to the stage where you want to do things and then you get sore so it can be frustrating.. you have a level head on your shoulders in regards to this recovery so hopefully you won't get crazy with things..
So happy to read how you say this forum helped you. It's a wonderful thing, isn't it?
Take care and don't be a stranger, we care!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom