THR jlsotr's recovery thread

jlsotr

Country
United States United States
I'm on the other side!! Had surgery at 7:30 am. And am doing fine. OS told my 'coaches' I had a fairly sizeable leg length discrepancy which he addressed. (Didn't see him myself). I had a spinal with anesthesia, so was able to bounce back pretty quickly. Once back in my room spent the rest of afternoon chatting/laughing with my son, sister and niece. I'm now on oxycodene - started at 3:00, and seems more helpful than dilaudid. Funny, as much of my pain has been in the knee...perhaps from all the manipulation? So far so good overall! Didn't sleep last night...hope I can tonight.

Good job @jlsotr- glad all went well. The knee pain is very common, I think it is Layla who gives a very descriptive explanation of why. Let me know after you get home what you figure out with the bed. I’m thinking since I got into right side so left leg went in first that I may want to change for right hip. Will need your expertise on that! Hope you get some rest.

Last edited:
:welome: Hip hip hooray, you made it to the bright side :yay: So happy for you @jlsotr
It's wonderful you're feeling great with pain well managed.
The poor old knee takes some abuse during surgery. Ice wherever it hurts, little miracle worker that ice is!

Regarding getting in and out of bed...ask a nurse or PT before you're discharged if you haven't already figured it out. I was only in the surgery center overnight and slept in a recliner but they showed me how to access the bed before I left.....walking me through it. They're helpful that way......just explain your bedroom scenario.

Wishing you a relaxing peaceful first night post op. Hugs :friends:

:yay: Yay, bye bye hip pain...hope you are resting....:yes!:

Resting as much as you can when they are in all night for meds, taking vitals, fixing the drip....my blood pressure has been low, so may end up here two nights. Great staff so that is appreciated. Is it typical that my pain would be well managed at rest, but takes a jump with weight bearing, movement? Makes sense to me...but Its easy to overreact and wonder what is typical.

Makes sense to me that movement would kick the pain up. Sorry about bp- lots of the meds we are given seen to mess with it.

Today was a day with PT and basic exercise classes. Walked for the first time for a distance. Tonight I'm on my face exhausted. Haven't slept well last two nights so that didn't help. Is it typical to be so, so tired...I mean really wiped out?! Unfortunately even though I'm exhausted I may not be able to sleep. I also think my hip is now swollen from it. Looking forward to getting home tomorrow.

Absolutely exhaustion is normal. Surgery takes a lot out of us. Also perfectly normal for sleep to be messed up. Naps will be your friend. Sleep whenever you can @jlsotr.

Hi @jlsotr
No worries....fatigue is to be expected. Your body has a lot of healing to do.
Take advantage and sleep as often as you can. Our bodies do their best healing while we're asleep.
You really don't need to be doing much more than getting on your feet several times a day.
Take a 5 min walk 3-4 times daily in your first week post op. Lots of ice and elevation too.
Warm wishes for a relaxing weekend!

Had to check my calendar twice to see how long ago your op was......two days out and you're walking AND doing PT AND exercise class!! Wow, no wonder you're wiped out! Is this usual for after a THR? I would have expected a bit of trotting to and from the loo, and some ladylike foot sliding on the bed, and otherwise resting to let the body recover from all that manhandling it's had :thud: Hope you do manage to sleep tonight, being overtired just seems to magnify everything else

@jlsotr note that I've move your post-op updates to your new recovery thread. Please post future updates here. If you would prefer a different title for your thread, post that here and someone will get it changed for you.

Too much too soon...won't delay anything not to do anything but what you just have to.
Your body has been traumatized and is using all your energy to try to heal.
Give it rest...:console2:

Welcome to the other side! Hope you can get home and get some rest. Unfortunately hospitals are not the best places to sleep - too noisy!

Here are your recovery articles to refer to when needed:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

It's curious why they have such variations in excercise recommendations. Maybe there is a lack of research about it or inconclusive results? At the hospital they have everyone walk to the therapy area, which is a pretty good distance. Then they had us do a series of excercises from our recliners: foot pumps; quad isometrics; leg abduction; leg slides into flexion; then at edge of seats some extending of legs out with support under thigh; stationary march movements; up on tiptoes and down; chair push-ups. They do this twice daily. When I think about it, it is a lot! So I'll follow your recommendations and try to find the right balance of rest and exercise!! Thanks all of you!

@jlsotr what kind of approach did you have? I think anterior? I had the same kind of pt the next day after surgery. I had to prove I could walk up and down 13 steps (like in our house) using a cane. Easy. We didn’t do marching though. I couldn’t wait to get home and get some real sleep. I hope you get to go home tomorrow. Are you in USA?

@lucinda007, yes I had anterior as well and am in the Midwest. I came home early afternoon and have been sleeping a good amount since i got here. Feels good to reduce the demands. The staff tried to shift things as much as they were able so there were fewer interruptions. But....there's no place like home! Said ruby slippers make entrance...

Welcome to the awesome side of this magical procedure! First week is all about rest, ICE, meds, and a few trips to the bathroom or kitchen. I had PT come to my house every other day for 2 weeks, and she took me through many of those exercises you've mentioned. My surgery was Dec 11, anterior. Yesterday, I walked up and down the beach with my granddaughters here in coastal California--without a cane! Recovery seems to go more quickly after the first 10-12 days. My best advice: ICE as many times per day as you can--its a miracle-worker.
Happy New Hip and New Year :)
Patrikya

Patrikya, so much for you insights and words of encouragement!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom