THR JKWHIPPIE'S Recovery Thread

Can I use something like Icy Hot on those areas that seem to be picking up the slack of the muscles in my hip area after RTHR on 11/5?
Ice works and I'd just move it around to where it hurts. Your whole leg, not just the hip was traumatized so every muscle is going to hurt when you use it.

Thanks for your advice! I will use more ice packs.

Has anyone used Tylenol PM instead of other meds to help control pain and to sleep at night?

Many of our members use Tylenol PM. Unfortunately sleep issues are all a part of this recovery. Hope the Tylenol PM helps!

I had a bad night last night with foot cramps running in a circle from my ankle around the top of my foot to the achilles tendon. Ugh. I take magnesium and Tylenol and Gabapentin. My husband massaged my foot and put a compression sock on that foot.
Thoughts?

Make sure you’re taking the recommended dose of magnesium. For women over 30 it’s 320mg per day.

You might want to check with a pharmacist or your doctor to see if there’s an interaction between magnesium and Gabapentin.

Hi all:
It seems like I am getting stronger every day. Start PT on Thursday. My problem is that I am so exhausted (and kind of cranky) at the end of the day it's hard to sit at the table for dinner. Sitting upright is a bit of a challenge.
Thoughts?

I had/have 90* restriction and sitting at the dining room table is hard to do and keep sitting up straight. I used a patio chair with arms so I could lift myself out of it and I sat slightly sideways. It made it easier to sit up and over the table.

Hi, it's good to hear you're feeling stronger every day.
Cranky happens when you're in these early weeks. It's boring, restricting, uncomfortable and plain old tiring. Sit for as long as you can tolerate and then get in whatever position makes you most comfortable. It's still early days and it will get better.

You're suffering Energy Drain I'm guessing - you're certainly not alone in experiencing that. Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial. Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

Hopefully tomorrow feels brighter.
@JKWHIPPIE

I don't have any suggestions other than to say that at 2 weeks I was still enjoying my meals in my recliner.
Sitting upright in a dining chair just wasn't comfortable at 2 weeks post op, and the exhaustion in the later part of the day? Ugh! I agree with how you put it, tired and cranky.. I felt like my nerves would get jangled if I overdid it or was over stimulated with too much chatter or whatever.

Are you napping when you can during the day? We need a lot of sleep when recovering from a joint replacement. Just think of all the energy it must take to heal bone, ligaments, connective tissue and much more than I can attempt to list.
I will say that you are now past the first two weeks and they usually are the most difficult and If I am figuring it correctly you are past that now!

I hope you get a good night's sleep. :sleep:

Thanks so much for your responses! I feel like I've been icing, elevating, and walking forever.

Hi there @JKWHIPPIE
Good to hear you are getting stronger every day... and you will continue to feel that way.
Just don't make a mistake of doing too much too soon. Your body was traumatized and need plenty of rest to recover properly. Keep icing all sore areas and walking around the place whenever you can.
If you don't already have a wedge cushion, I strongly recommend one at it will make a difference siting at the table.
Take it slow... one step at a time.

Hello @JKWHIPPIE
Best wishes for PT tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.
Ice / elevate, walk, repeat. Haha...it does get old!
Happy Wednesday....hope it's a good one :)

Woohoo! :happydance: I loved ditching that clunky old walker. It is liberating for sure. You're right, you are on your way. Take it slow in PT and if anything hurts, don't do it.:wink:
Let us know how it goes...
A great Thursday to you!
@JKWHIPPIE

Has anyone had foot cramping around the ankle bone and across the top of the foot when using a pillow under or between the knees while sleeping? My foot seems to be flopping over.

I finally figured out what's up. I have a bit of sciatica pain, likely due to the manipulation of that big buttock muscle during surgery. I bit of stretching with a yoga strap has helped. Has anyone else had that problem?

@JKWHIPPIE glad that you've found a solution that is working for you. It's still early on so please be careful you don't overdo.

I know I've had bouts of sciatic pain but that's been going on for years and I know that I have arthritis in my right one for sure. Plus mine are kind of our of whack, had a PT decide she was going to try and fix it but actually caused me major pain and set me back at least a month in recovery. Not sure if the sciatica was what you meant when you asked if anybody else has that problem.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie