Ankle Jimmer's Recovery Thread

Hopefully the therapist can offer some other suggestions. You still have a month before Christmas so keep your fingers crossed you can make that long drive! In my case, the driving doesn't seem to bother me since there's no weight on the ankle, just movement.

Went to PT on Monday, they have me walking in a shoe now and wearing a compression stock. They worked on strength and flexibility. I have to get the ankle to bent upward. Have more pain and swelling now that I am walking in a shoe, told to wear hard boot when I go outside. Well we had a foot of snow so I was out snow blowing, taped a hat over the end of the boot to keep the snow out. I also have to learn to walk with my toe pointing strait ahead, think I got into that habit of walking with it out because it was less painful.

Went to PT on Monday, they have me walking in a shoe now and wearing a compression stock. They worked on strength and flexibility, like you guys, have to get the ankle to bent upward. Have more pain and swelling now that I am walking in a shoe, told to wear hard boot when I go outside. Well we had a foot of snow so I was out snow blowing, taped a hat over the end of the boot to keep the snow out. I also have to learn to walk with my toe pointing strait ahead, think I got into that habit of walking with it out because it was less painful.

Hi Jimmer,
Had to laugh a little about your snow comment and taping the hat. Down here in Florida we don’t have that additional challenge. My PT had to break me of walking somewhat side ways and got me to point my toes straight ahead; she told me to concentrate on heel then toe. Interesting that they have told you to walk wearing a shoe whereas my surgeon told me to wear sneakers.
I have completed two weeks of PT and I definitely see and feel progress, however still experiencing pain and a little swelling. Achilles gives me pain if I work it too hard. The surgeon told me he stretched it during surgery, whatever that means?

well the ankle is doing good, range of motion is getting a little better, back to driving the truck and the pain is getting less. See the doctor on jan 8th and thinking that I will be released from his care. Have about 2 or 3 weeks of PT left and then I will be on my own. All and all I am happy with the progress.

Hi Jimmer,
I'm happy to hear that you are progressing. I'm into my second month of PT and I still have a limited range of motion for the up and down position. I see the doctor on 12/19 so I'm wondering if I'll be on my own after that. I've only been going twice a week for PT and sometimes only once a week due to the holidays and scheduling. I have less pain, it's mostly on the top of my ankle (incision area) and some numbness on the top of my foot and big toe. The PT therapist keeps reminding me that my stiffness is normal for my timeline post surgery. I guess everyone is different! Even if I never regain the full range of motion, I'm happy that the pain is not like pre-surgery days!!!

Robyn, Sounds like you are getting better and that is good news. I feel like I am slowly making progress. But this weekend we had our family Christmas weekend and came home today. Was on my feet a lot and I can tell by the swelling, the most swelling I have seen so far. Going to do my exercises at home and try keep it elevated more now that I am home. Go back to PT on Thursday where they are working on flexibility, strength and balance.

Went to doctor yesterday, every thing was going good until about 2 weeks ago. Started to get pain on the inside of ankle and a lot more swelling. He told me that I aggravated the tibialis posterior tendon and that I should back off the stretching ex. until it feels better and to elevate and put ice on it. Things where going so good and then a little set back, so hoping this gets back to normal soon. Jamie, you are right, this site helps a lot and its nice to see how everyone is doing. Thank you everyone for taking the time to sharing your progress.

Hi Jimmer!
I'm so sorry to hear about your setback. At least it doesn't appear to be any actual damage to the implant. Tendons can heal and the long term results are still worth a little bit more healing time and patience. Please update us on your progress.

Well the tendon is feeling better and I am doing my stretching ex. again. Have stiffness and swelling yet and when I walk I do have a little limp when I walk out of the step with my new ankle. Thinking in time things will get better. Do not see the doctor again until early summer. I still have some pain but very little compared to before the replacement.

@Jimmer so glad to read you are seeing progress. This recovery is certainly a long haul for you ankle warriors! I am sure you will continue to see improvement. Please do keep us updated.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom