TKR JennyLynne’s Next Chapter

My knee was not a fan of the Lounge Doctor, either, but I got a used one well after my first year anniversary, so my knee was already used to the wedge I had, and the angle was different.

As in the title of my recovery thread, my knee has been such a drama queen, very sensitive to any angle it didn’t like. Finally, at 3+ years post op it’s a bit less sensitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made my first post-op trip to the grocery store. Easy peasy... I suspect I could have done this sooner but don’t tell my husband! Shhhh!

I also made it to my son’s baseball game yesterday, and to the pool later. I managed to get down into and (barely) out of a low lounger chair. The ROM is still not so good but I think that the anti inflammatory that my doc put me back on is helping.

It is nice that the little things are easier. We rented a house near the beach in western Michigan in 2 weeks. Really really really hoping to see improvements between now and then so my knee isn’t the headline of the trip!

Take it easy the next two weeks and you should be ok on your vacation.

Yay! Now that‘s some progress. Grocery shopping and doing mommy stuff.
Two weeks until vacay can very well bring progress. Fingers crossed you’re not the Bummer of the Beach at the summer rental. :fingersx: :swim:
I have faith in you @JennyLynne :yes:

Had a bad day yesterday. PT had to do measurements to send to my insurance company. I was pretty excited about it because I hadn’t had them in a few weeks and I felt like my knee was really moving better.

WRONG! 91 degrees. Only 3 than before.

My therapist hasn’t done any soft tissue massage or anything hands on since I developed the rash. She is going to ask my doctor if she can resume, because it has always helped me loosen up.

Didn’t help my mood that I went to my sons baseball game last night and had to get into and out of those ridiculous portable camp chairs.

Treated myself to some backyard margaritas when we got home. And as many ice packs as I could stand, haha.

You will find that your ROM varies from day to day to some extent. Some days you have more swelling and some days you have less. Don't let the numbers depress you. What you can do now versus what you could do a couple of weeks ago is the measurement you should be going by. The function is much more important than numbers. My OS never spoke a number he just told me to show him what I could do. That's what he was concerned about.

@JennyLynne ... Is it really hot and humid where you are? As my mom used to say, it’s been “beastly hot” in MN, and I think the humidity causes a bit more swelling in my knee, which then seems to affect ROM. Or maybe it’s just one of the many ups and downs in this recovery. I’m with you on the camp chairs! And a margarita on a hot summer night was a good plan!

Hey girl, checking in on you! Were you able to get the pt to work on soft tissue again? I love when they work on my leg, everything is so tight and I appreciate the massage. I have to laugh about the chair because being tall (5’11”) they were trying to kill me before surgery so I can’t imagine one right now. :heehee:

I hope you are having a better time now!

Hey @SpaceGirl I was just thinking about you! My doctor has ok’d the hands-on PT, and yesterday I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I am doing myself no favors by sitting at my desk for HOURS... I am on video calls all day and don’t gets breaks for several hours Often. I need to find a way to move more!

I suspect you are currently on vacay and hope you are loving it by the beach @JennyLynne ! I too, have to spend far too much time at a desk. It doesn't do our knees, legs, or back any good. But you might consider getting something under the desk to put your feet up on - even an exercise ball under there to help do some movement while Zooming. It would also help your extension without having to focus on it. Just a thought.

Hi everyone... haven't checked in since pre-vaca. Well, TRIP... not a vacation. Renting a house during covid is definitely more a TRIP than a vacation! lol

Everything went fairly well. I spent most of the time trying to figure out how to get up from low couches, chairs and toilet seats. Let's say it wasn't graceful. I did ok on my feet - even on the sand. But that bend... man, it just doesn't want to improve.

I was quite swollen while away, and it got better once home, when I was able to elevate and ice more. I went to PT yesterday, and she said the flex looks about the same. My extension is great - no worries there.

I developed a cold - which in 2020, is a scary scenario. It feels like you can't get sick unless you have covid! But, spending several days in a house with little kids with runny noses resulted in adults with runny noses - but we got tested and all negative, thankfully! One sneeze, and you run to urgent care to get a swab. It's so stressful!!!

Our school district has decided to start the year virtual. No surprise there. Our sitter leaves for college in less than 2 weeks, so it's going to become quite the juggling act again. School doesn't start till Sept 8, so will need to find ways to keep my son active while working from home, and then find ways to keep him engaged with virtual learning while working from home. ARGH!!!! Send wine!!!!

It sounds like you survived your stay-cation OK except with a mean summer cold. I hate those things. I pray it's just a cold and not the other! Down here, it seems once it hits one family member, they all get it.

Welcome back! Glad you survived overall, those low seats will kill you!! I mean even when I didn't have surgery, that was a pain to get up from and I know it's not graceful in any way shape or form LOL Our schools are starting virtual as well, but they start on Monday! I hope you can figure out something for him during the time before school starts, good luck!!

Visions of low chairs and sofas on a new knee made me wince! Glad you are back in more familiar surroundings and didn't lose any of your extension!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LeonGirl