TKR JennyLynne’s Next Chapter

:yes!: So glad you are getting some relief JennyLynne and were able to fully appreciate the wonderful weekend.

So happy you are feeling some positive relief! Onward and upward!

Thanks for checking in @SpaceGirl !

Not too much to report. Hit 8 weeks yesterday, but I’m just generally bummed about my lack of progress with flex. Got a couple more degrees but still cant get to 90 yet. Makes life outside the house more difficult.

My leg still looks awful. No itching and no longer spreading but still red splotches and bumps. This is taking forever to clear!!

Long story short... this is requiring a little more patience than I bargained for!!!

That "P" word can sure be a pain, but is so important in this recovery. You have had a little extra to patience with your rash, but you are handling it well. Try not to worry about that flex, you know it'll come in its own dear time. There's that P word again!

Time is our best friend in the recovery process, more so than PT...I remember 8 weeks, and I wasn’t happy with much of anything..Now, nearing 6 months, I continue to recover, although in very small increments ...you will get better...best wishes for a continued recovery process

Patience is a hard thing, just ask our kids lol Your rom will improve, keep walking and working on those heel slides! Have a great weekend. :)

:wave:A belated Happy Two Month Anniversary, JennyLynne.
Sorry you’re needing to muster up more patience. Just think how good it’s going to be once you’re a little further along with no worries of another knee or hip needing replacement. That time will come.

Great news the skin irritation is slowly fading.
Cheers..until next time. :SUNsmile:
@JennyLynne

I had my second post-op appt today, and this one was in person! Tho, still no X-ray.

I saw the PA that I usually see, but not the one who addressed my rash. This PA found the whole thing unusual and raised an eyebrow at the suggestion that it was a very delayed reaction to the hibicleans. The one difference between this surgery and the others was the presence of glue instead of staples, and he thought maybe that was the cause?

REGARDLESS... it’s getting better and he said it can take several week for all the bumps and redness to fully go away.

We discussed my lack of flexion for a while. He feels it simply takes time for many patients. The muscles and such are tight and not used to stretching and moving as much. The ROM before surgery is an indicator of how long it can take to improve it after surgery.

He also put me back on Meloxicam- wants me on a stronger anti-inflammatory to get the swelling down. And then I have to go back in 6 weeks to check ROM again.

He also noticed 4 stitches were popping through the scar- tiny little dots, I thought we just scabs. He pulled them out, easily.

All in all, a decent appointment. No magic bullet. More patience. Sigh.

Many members think PT is needed to alleviate tightness. Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.

Good for you! The pain ball, as I called it is wonderful. My surgery was also outpatient and it was so much better to be home in my own bed. I know your recovery will be great!

Slow and steady wins the race. :)

Decided to try sleeping on my side last night. I hate sleeping on my back, but am very very lucky to have a bed with an adjustable base, so I can move the head and feet up and down. That helped tremendously, but I have also been taking meds at night to sleep.

In an effort to stop needing meds, and also prepare for a trip to a rental home soon, I decided to try sleeping on my side again. Not only did I wake up sore everywhere, I also woke up every hour or two to shift positions. Makes me quite concerned about how my vacation will go... a sleepless uncomfortable vacation isn't fun for me nor my husband, who I will undoubtedly wake up countless times as a squirm.

Hi JennyLynne,
Sorry to hear this and understand your frustration and concerns for bedtime comfort for you and hubby during your getaway. I’m not a back sleeper either. I need to fall asleep on my side! Since this isn’t your first rodeo I’m sure you’ve tried everything along the way, but just in case you haven’t tried this...try PILLOWS. Lots of them. It was the solution for me. The only way I could get comfy on my back was to pretty much surround myself with bed pillows. A long body pillow, some soft and squishy pillows, some more firm, I almost wedged myself into a fort and found it was the only thing that worked for me. Laying my arm on a soft pillow or placing one here, or there, seemed to help me drift off. It’s worth a try, if you haven’t already. Best wishes in finding the perfect solution. :sleep:
@JennyLynne

Even though I did have an adjustable bed, my knee preferred the angle of the elevating wedge that my hospital sent home with me. I still use it all night and I’m 3+ years post op! My new knee has never liked sleeping on my side, so I’m still on my back with my legs elevated, and quite comfortable now that I’ve adjusted. And, the wedge is portable, so I always take it with me if I travel. Whatever the hospital billed my insurance for it has been worth every penny!

I do have a Lounge Doctor... I got it for my last knee but wasn’t really a fan. It’s a good idea to bring away with me at least! And lots of pillows... a million pillows @Layla !!

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom