TKR JennyLynne’s Next Chapter

So delighted with the progress you are making! Working at 3 weeks is wonderful - and a needed diversion form everything else going on around us these days.

Hey @JennyLynne :wave:
Your last update was a good one! Can’t believe you’ll be four weeks already on Tuesday and taking some steps toward easing back into work. You‘re a rock star! Glad you’ll be able to work from home and bed for awhile. You can sneak in a lil happy nappy time if the mood strikes.
Have a wonderful Sunday and week to come!

Last night was my first foray into socializing. Our neighbors joined us around the fire pit for a couple hours. I had a glass of wine and 2 s’mores and it felt like a “normal” summer night!

My biggest challenge is sitting in a chair. My flex is still pretty poor and I can’t sit with my foot on the floor for long. But, unless I’m in my big comfy chair, it’s not that comfortable to prop my leg up either. It’s so frustrating. I want to spend more time outside but I just can’t get comfortable. It’s so disappointing as the weather gets better and better.

Oh @JennyLynne...your update made me smile, but not because you were uncomfortable! Yesterday, I sat at a picnic table for an hour, with both legs tucked under the table just like someone with two happy knees, and then we had dinner on a restaurant patio; same thing, no problem sitting at the table with a nice glass of wine, but alas, no s’mores. Today, it’s another beautiful summer day, and I decided to take my book and read on our deck. Could I find a place to get comfy enough to do that, even with my leg propped up? Nope! My knee let me know who’s still the boss!

Last edited:
@sistersinhim I don’t have one but maybe that needs to change!

@Wolvesfan the thought of a picnic table makes me shudder, lol!!! It would take me an hour to get my leg under and out again!!!

We just had an impromptu visit to a friend’s yard for a drink. They had nice comfy outdoor furniture. I may need to visit more often!

We just had an impromptu visit to a friend’s yard for a drink. They had nice comfy outdoor furniture. I may need to visit more often!

I agree!
Or better yet borrow one of their chairs for your home until you are feeling better!

I know I'm awful new to this whole game to offer advice, but one thing I've done is take one of our straight back kitchen chairs and put it in the living room. I try to sit in it 3 or 4 times day, for as long as I can stand it. Usually not too long! I feel like it could help my range of my motion without angering my knee.

@allin1 I was thinking similarly. I have a tall chair in my bathroom that I try to sit in and let my leg dangle a bit.

In related news... had PT today and I asked her to measure my flex and it was only 70! I burst into tears. My PT was trying to calm me down and said all the right things... it’s swollen, it takes time, she sees progress.

I know it takes time but I of course was expecting it to go like my other knee, which was past 90 at 4 weeks. I’m a pretty optimistic and positive person but right this moment, I’m struggling to find the patience I need.

That is pretty much how I felt last week when I twisted my knee, and undid all the progress I had made. Try to flex it as best you can without undo pain and swelling. Ice and elevation, and I'll be rooting for you, if that helps any! :)

Oh @JennyLynne...I know your new knee will eventually bend just fine! It’s such an emotional trek from surgery to recovery though, isn’t it. I’ve been so hard on myself when my expectations and then my reality were so far apart....like it was my fault. Rationally, I know that’s silly, but the pain, limited mobility, and even the pandemic imposed isolation really messed with my emotions. But it’s so much better now...and you’ll soon be so much better, too!

Thank you @allin1 and @Wolvesfan ! It really helps to have a cheering section! I’m struggling shaking the blues again today. Trying to engage in work as a distraction.

I think (I KNOW) that it’s not just my knee. My son just went to school with my husband to collect his stuff. The teachers put everything in big garbage bags labeled with the kids’ names. What a sad way to end the weirdest school year ever!

Aww, I’m sorry you’re starting the day out on a sad note. You know all will improve with your knee, but I don’t want to ignore your disappointment. I guess a tad more patience is needed for this recovery. Your bilateral hip recovery was beyond phenomenal and you know we’re only allowed one of those...so you’re at your quota. :wink:

I feel bad for the kiddos also. Thankfully they‘re resilient and will take it in stride while we are in the corner boo-hooing. I did that when I heard my grandsons eyes welled with tears the first time he saw his Kindergarten teacher on video after they closed the schools. I was immediately online ordering a years subscription of Kiwi Crates and Highlight magazine for him and trying to think of what else I could do to bring a smile to his face while he was probably long over it. :heehee:

Sending a big hug with hopes your day brightens soon. :SUNsmile:
@JennyLynne

@JennyLynne As we always say - every TKR is different, even on the same person. Keep icing and elevating and please don't worry about ROM now. Still very early days!

@Layla you always make me smile!! I forgot about the quota... don’t want to be greedy!

@Jaycey whenever I think I’m an expert at this, I need you to remind me of the basics! I “know” and yet I can’t seem to apply to myself. Silly, really!

Don't beat yourself up! You are going to get to what you need when your new knee is ready! Don't push it and join the over did it club! I think it is normal for us to think, well I was at this point on my last surgery but remember each knee and surgery/recovery is different. I know I will be in this same boat when I have my second done, wanting to compare, but I keep telling myself even now, that it will be different, not bad necessarily but different. Keep your head up and keep working but not too hard.

My daughters school did the same, we went through car line and they loaded a trashbag into the trunk of the car with her stuff. She did get to say good bye to her teacher, as they were the ones loading the stuff, but just from a distance. I sure hope next school year is better!

Today marks 30 days from surgery, which means I have taken my last doses of aspirin and meloxicam, and can now start taking Advil. I am hoping that may help my swelling, and in turn help the bend.

I find it interesting that most of my swelling and pain is on the inside of the knee. Pre-op, it was all on the outside because I was so knock-kneed). Even the bruising was/is on the inside. I can draw a circle around the pain.

Happy to report that while my flex sucks, I am getting more and more stable on my feet. I use one crutch to get around, and even find myself taking a few “Frankenstein” steps around the kitchen, hands free.

Able to do more around the house- help with meals, put away laundry- as long as someone helps me carry stuff. I feel like I could walk further but it’s really the reliance on the crutch that makes it uncomfortable after a certain point.

Working from home is going ok. I can’t get comfortable for long But it helps the days go by. Everyone is being very patient with me. I set expectations suitably low, haha!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back