TKR JennyLynne’s Next Chapter

Glad that you got some good sleep in @JennyLynne
... it so makes everything more bearable, for sure.
I remember you talking about your son when you had your hips done... glad you are getting some good education too.

I’ve had zingers with all my surgeries... some worse than others... just the healing process.

Well I’m glad you’ve only two hips & two knees as you’ve now a full set!!! Enjoy your social distancing... we can still only meet one other person & outside our home at the moment... weird times!!

Hoping the recovery continues well... love Chrissie x

@JennyLynne...I love your updates! I’m glad you got a great night’s sleep, and may it be the first of many. I’ve found that during this time of social distancing, a driveway get together can be excellent therapy. I hope it’s the same for you!

Happy Saturday everyone! Nice weather here in Michigan. My husband and son played tennis outside- I was jealous. I’m going to run them all over the courts next summer!

I’ve been trying to work of my flex. Heel slides are not going well when laying down, so trying to do it seated. Seeing a smidge of improvement but it’s so discouraging. I know it takes time. I hate that it takes so much time!

The back of my leg has been really sore in the last couple of days. I looked and it’s covered with deep dark bruises!! How am I just noticing? Didn’t bother me at all but of course now that I see the bruising... OWWWWW! (I’ve been accused of being dramatic, haha)

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend!

The back of my leg has been really sore in the last couple of days

Possibly the bruising is just showing now. I had some bruising around the area of my knee that didn’t show up until about day seventeen post op, kind of freaked me out. I was thinking, oh great, what did I do now?! With any luck your discomfort eases quickly.
I hope you’re lucky enough to have a repeat tonight on the sleep you enjoyed the other night. :fingersx:

Sunday funday! Haha not really!

Decent day. Ended yesterday with a lot of pain but woke up feeling good.

My big progress today - when sitting, I can now lift my foot a few inches off the floor. May not sounds like much, but with a snoozing quad, it’s the first sign of life!!!

Last edited:
Well done! Mark these little milestones because it won't be long till you are out beating your hubs and son on the tennis court!

Two weeks today... a milestone that isn’t really one. It’s always taken me about 3 weeks to turn a corner. I celebrated today by doing nothing, haha. Rest, ice and elevation with some stretching and slides and such. Trying to sit on the edge of the bed, leaning back, to let gravity do a little of the work.

Because I have a steep flight of stairs, I try to stay upstairs for the beginning of my recovery. Now, I’m coming down daily for dinner. And of course, I can’t help but critique. The floor needs sweeping, the panty is a mess, there are crumbs on the table. And then my husband gets mad. And I don’t blame him! He’s handling it all, including an 8 yr old and working from home. Oh WHY can’t I just keep my trap shut?????

Two weeks today... a milestone that isn’t really one. It’s always taken me about 3 weeks to turn a corner. I celebrated today by doing nothing, haha. Rest, ice and elevation with some stretching and slides and such. Trying to sit on the edge of the bed, leaning back, to let gravity do a little of the work.

Because I have a steep flight of stairs, I try to stay upstairs for the beginning of my recovery. Now, I’m coming down daily for dinner. And of course, I can’t help but critique. The floor needs sweeping, the panty is a mess, there are crumbs on the table. And then my husband gets mad. And I don’t blame him! He’s handling it all, including an 8 yr old and working from home. Oh WHY can’t I just keep my trap shut?????
Same here! lol, every time I get up I see how dirty the floor is from dog hair and then I see crumbs on the counters and it makes me crazy so I say something and then he gets annoyed. Ugh!

Oh WHY can’t I just keep my trap shut?????
Just remember - dust bunnies are not lethal! Yes, things may not be to your standard. But these are tough times. You are in recovery and we are all in this very weird time of trying to cope with something lurking around us.

Deep breath - and focus on being down stairs with your family. There will soon come a day when you can make it all the way you want it. For now please don't worry if everything is not perfect. Your priority is healing. Remember - this is all temporary.

Maybe put the 8 year old in charge of chasing crumbs? :heehee:

Oh, DO take that deep breath and plan how you will attack the dust bunnies and crumbs when you are feeling better and more mobile. Your spouse and kids really look forward to having you downstairs with them and seeing that you are improving. Our cranky admonishments that things aren't clean enough or dinner wasn't quite done add greatly to the anxiety they are already feeling, because they can't begin to understand the pain and frustration you are feeling. Try to smile and not notice. This too shall pass.

When I was a few days post op, my hubby brought me a sandwich. He forgot to cut it in half, and I burst into tears and said “how am I supposed to eat this?” I mean, how crazy is that! He looked so bewildered and then I immediately felt awful, as I knew I was taking my frustration out on him. We laugh about it now, but the out of control/relying on others part of recovery did make me a bit nuts!

Little update... feeling pretty good over here!
I stopped taking oxy during the day. Alternating tramadol and Tylenol with an oxy at bedtime. Glad to be in less of a fog.

Started outpatient PT today. I was on the fence after last week’s eval, but I have always had great experience and have worked with the same therapist for my other surgeries. It was great to see her and everything went well. I love the massage, it really loosens everything up. Plan to go 2x a week for now.

My quad is still waking up. I can lift my leg better but still can’t make it onto the bed or into the car without a strap or some help. Hope this resolves soon!

Catching up, took a mini beach vacay with the family and did not take the laptop! Looks like you are doing great so far! How has it been 2 weeks already? I swear they sometimes fly by :) I have to laugh about the floor and crumbs because I get it. My family is notorious for leaving cabinet doors open, drawers open and daily I go by and shut them multiple times a day, so I know it's going to get worse when I have surgery LOL Just think when you're fully recovered you will have the house back to tip top shape, but for now, rest, maybe entice your kiddo to do some extra work for a reward lol Have a great weekend!

@SpaceGirl a beach vacation sounds amazing!!! I definitely have cabin fever. The health department here issued an order this week that all pools must remain closed “indefinitely”. It was such a blow for us... with camp and sports cancelled, I was banking on our pool club being my son’s main activity this summer (we got a summer sitter for him). AND, I have always used the pool as part of my rehab- nothing feels better than the weightlessness of water and gentle stretching. I really really hope the order gets lifted at some point!!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads