TKR JennyLynne’s Next Chapter

Good luck. How is it outpatient? That was never an option presented to me. I presume by outpatient you mean no overnight hospital stay.

Good luck tomorrow, keep us posted on how you are doing when you get home.

Sistersinhim left you the knee recovery guidelines in post #5.

Last edited:
@erichknipp my past surgeries were at the hospital with a one to two night stay. This one is at an outpatient orthopedic surgery center. My doctor does about 40% of his work there, and at the moment is only working out of there.

I will add the knee recovery guidelines, too.

The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started. As you read more on other members' recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect and what not to do, especially regarding PT.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when the pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Drive thru joint replacement!
Here she comes:driver:
There she goes :walking:

Good time for recovery since most of us are limited in what we can do these days anyway.
Let us know how you’re doing once you’re settled in and resting comfortably.
Hugs and best wishes!

Best wishes for a great recovery! In my opinion it’s a great time for it with so many deliveries available from grocery stores & restaurants

Hi from the other side!Everything went great!

I woke up in quite a bit of pain but they pushed meds in the IV and that took the edge off.

They got me up about 2 hours post-op to use the bathroom, and I felt pretty good so I went home.

Of all my surgeries, this was the easiest to get home from. I had no trouble with the flight of stairs. I think I am benefitting from still being foggy from anesthesia. And I have a pain pump.

Still can’t believe that I had TKR at 9am and was home in my own bed before 2pm!

Sending best wishes for your recovery! :flwrysmile:

Awesome! I think it's great you were able to come home! I am hoping maybe my dr will offer that as I would think they would want to keep less people in-patient right now. Hope your recovery continues to go well.

Wishing you a great recovery :flwrysmile: keep us all updated xx

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom