TKR Jenipops Knee #2: No Rhyme Or Reason

Wondering what do about swelling. It’s been 3 days of extreme swelling of my entire surgery leg. So much so it is hard to walk, aches, and very warm. I’ve elevated, iced every 2 hours, walked and done some simple exercises. I’m so frustrated! It started after a PT session where my ROM went to 121. I was very excited, but just a few hours later this swelling started. (5 weeks)
This is a prime example of cause and effect. It sounds like your pt really inflamed your knee and it's reacting with extra swelling and pain. I iced and elevated the whole time I was sitting and in bed as long as I was swelling. I suggest you stop all exercises except for your normal daily living activities until your knee calms down. If you continue to exercise it, it will continue to swell. It isn't out of shape, it's wounded and still needs lot of healing and TLC. You newborn knee is barely a month old and is 1/12 of the way healed. Increase your icing and elevating and that should bring down your swelling.

After taking the weekend “off” and just resting, elevating and icing, I feel pretty good today. Had PT this morning and got to full rotation on the bike! My ROM is at 119 as well. I’m so thankful I got the encouragement from Bonesmarters to just rest over the weekend without guilt.
Just quoting you from last weekend. I recommend a repeat performance. :)

@Jenipops my TKR was 1 week later than you and this is my second TKR as well. At 2.5 weeks post-op I tripped on a rug and sort of jarred my knee. Do you find that knee #1 getting sore from over use? Also, I know what you mean about kids not getting it. My son was awesome the first 3 weeks or so but now he thinks I should just be back to normal. It is frustrating. My dh has had both his knees replaced so he gets it. I over did it today... got a pedicure and sat funny for far too long. I’ll be paying for it for a couple of days I’m sure. It is just so achy tonight. Have a great weekend. I love this forum and reading everyone’s TKR adventure.

Thanks for all the feedback. I don’t remember all this tightness and swelling from my ltkr. However, it was at 5 weeks I got a DVT and spent a week in the hospital. I do have a lot of soreness in my #1 knee as well. It’s definitely getting a workout!

Tonight I have pain down the inside of my right calf and the front of my shin. (I’m pretty sure it’s not another DVT.) I tried doing some exercises as suggested by my surgeon’s PA today and iced more often to no avail. Sorry for airing my frustration. I’m just tired of this feeling, probably like most others that are in the same boat. I’m looking for an immediate remedy that just might not be out there.

You've got it, @Jenipops. There is no immediate remedy for a TKR recovery. It's a long process that must proceed at your body's own pace. When you have pain, 9 times out of 10 it is because you have done too much for this stage of your recovery. It requires a couple of days of serious resting, icing and elevation and maybe even taking something to counter the pain itself. Remember that when tissues are in pain, that means they are inflamed and that can result in swelling -- which causes more pain. You get the idea. You cannot exercise this type of pain away. In fact, exercise will just make it worse. When you're in the middle of a pain bout, you only need to do gentle bends and stretches and normal walking about your house every hour or so to keep your knee loose.

@Jenipops how long are your icing sessions. Our nurse director recommends at least 45-60 minutes several times per day.

I was icing 20 minutes every 2 hours. My PA said to do it 20 minutes every 20 minutes. I’m going to try longer periods of time as suggested to you. Thanks for your information.

As long as I had pain and swelling, I iced and elevated the whole time I was down. This was at least an hour, get up and do some daily activities, then back to my icing and elevating. This kept the swelling and pain much lower. As long as you have a cloth between you and the ice, you can ice as long as you want.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562