Guest viewing is limited

THR JenaS62's Recovery

You don't sound whiney.

It's natural to feel disappointed, even angry, when a surgery we desperately needed brings with it unexpected and painful collateral damage that may make it difficult to walk at our son's wedding.

It's hard, but you might try to focus on your doctor's belief that healing could take "months." September is still 5 months away, and even if you haven't experienced total healing by then, you may just feel much stronger and in less pain than you are now.

I hope so and wish you well. :fingersx:
 
Thank you. And you’re right, even if I can walk better that is still an improvement.
 
@JenaS62 I know you are disappointed with this result. But you need to stay focused on a brighter future. Yes, nerves take a very long time to heal. But you have a good bit of time before your son's wedding.

Any idea when you will get the nerve tests?
 
You have five months until your son's wedding. I bet, that you will be MUCH better at that point. The hip will be healed, you will have your energy back and the femoral nerve will be well on it's way to healing. I know each day is hard. I was also depressed big time around week 4 - I wasn't driving, trapped at home, lonely, freaking out that how I felt at that moment was going to be forever. My husband was kind of MIA at that point too because of work so it's easy to get in in our own heads with remorse. Set your goals to be better by September, not tomorrow.
For the pain, have you tried Tramedol? It's does wonders for nerve pain especially used with Tylenol. It also doesn't make you loopy so it's a big plus. I had massive nerve pain for two years BEFORE my hip replacement and it saved me. Got me through family activities, dinners with friends and even a trip to Ireland. Please talk to your doctor and see if he/she agrees!
 
Hello everyone and thanks for your words of encouragement. to cheer myself up, I spent the day yesterday looking online for dresses to wear to my sons wedding. I have three coming to try. I’m pretty excited!

My doctor just switched me from Percocet to Tramedol and I must say, the pain is much better. The electric shock feeling have pretty much instantly stopped.

I am waiting on the neurologists office to call me and get my nerve test scheduled. If they do not call in a couple days, I will call them.
 
Wow, some good news I am reading here on the one month anniversary of your THR.
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you love one of the dresses and wear it proudly on your sons big day. Thankfully the change in medication has brought some relief. Stay in touch and let us know what you find out from the nerve test.
Wishing you perfect healing and all things good!
@JenaS62
 
I finally got an appointment with a neurologist , but not until June 1st. I am at week 5 and nothing physically has changed. Still have a numb leg and numb knee. Still have horrible knee pain and no reflexes in my lower leg, I cannot lift my lower leg or kick out my foot from a sitting position and my thigh feels like a giant bruise. It hurts for anything to touch it.

On a positive note, I no longer need my husband to help me shower. I started doing it myself a few days ago and I am no longer afraid of falling. I get myself up and dressed now too Yay! I also went back to work and it’s good for me mentally but it’s tough sitting so much.

I can tell you that in my spare time, I do a ton of research on this whole nerve damage thing and I don’t know if it’s quite as rare as they say it is. Luckily (according to my surgeon), it’s femoral nerve damage and not sciatic nerve damage. Apparently that is way worse and recovery takes years. The femoral nerve damage can take 6 months to over a year. Funny though, I was told that recovery from this THR only takes weeks. They lie.
 
Funny though, I was told that recovery from this THR only takes weeks.
When you consider an incision is made through layers of tissue, bone is sawed then reamed out so a stem can be hammered in....and that's an abbreviated version, there is no way you're going to be completely healed within weeks. The great thing though...you're on the other side of it and healing. I hope June 1st comes fast, you receive answers and a plan leading to relief. Hang in there and remember we are here for you. :)
 
I do have something positive to report. Over the weekend, using only a very light touch with my surgery side hand on my 4 wheel walker and I started walking. I have a terrible limp and some hip pain but it’s the first time I have been confident enough to try it. I wear a knee brace and that helps my knee to feel more stable. This is a boost to my emotions for sure!

How long did it take people to walk without a limp (feels like one leg longer than the other) and without some pain? I was 5 weeks out on Friday.
 
I stopped limping on my operative side almost 7 weeks to the day!
 
I am 5 weeks out and in a full leg brace with a walker too. I had low expectations going in though and have had a limp for years so I actually feel as if I am doing well. I had my leg lengthened and my surgery was a little more complex due to childhood issues so have to keep the brace on for 8 weeks and then continue with the walker for about another 4 weeks after that. I am hoping at the 3 month mark I should be a little more mobile. I was told that it could take 12-18 months for full recovery though. I am in my 50s and was very active and pretty fit beforehand so hoping that a year down the line I will be in great shape. I think we just have to be patient as everyone has gone in with different issues and our bodies all respond differently.
 
Sending my very best wishes for your continued recovery and that you will enjoy the wedding with your new hip. It is still a long way down the road and your body will have done a lot of healing by then
 
@JenaS62 I’m still limping and at four and a half months. I also limped for years and was using sticks for two years before surgery. Still using them now when I’m out. Even if this is as good as it gets, at least I’m not in pain anymore. But I do feel as though the muscles etc are growing stronger and I potter about the house and garden without the sticks. We all went into surgery with different issues and our recoveries will all be different too. They will be what they will be.
 
Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Here is a visual
[Bonesmart.org] JenaS62's Recovery


A great weekend to you, Jena!
@JenaS62
 
I still have a limp after my 2/22 anterior hip replacement. After 10 months or so I finally had a real expert fit me with orthotics (by a pedorthist who is also a PT.) Even with these I have a slight limp but I am quite active. I sustained injury to my non operated side possibly from the traction table. This happens-as does other stuff. Fortunately I already had a neuro that has a superb reputation. A good physio
Rehab doc often can order testing and they are easier to get into @Jena. Had I been aware of the massive amount of hype with the “anterior approach “ I might have been better prepared mentally. And fortunately I’ve had superb superb -yes written twice- Pt to guide me through this past year and several months. I am quite physically strong at this point but tremendously disturbed as well by the mass marketing of ortho procedures with dismal follow up . My bets are in that you will make improvements as well!
 
I don’t remember exactly when I stopped limping with my first surgery, but my surgeon set a goal for me to walk unaided and without a limp by my 6-week checkup and I was able to accomplish that. I did not limp pre surgery with either hip.
 
You guys are a blessing! I appreciate all of your feedback. I switched from my Walker to a cane yesterday. I’m not really even sure I need the cane as I have also been “free walking” as my husband calls it. But I am using it just to be safe. I ordered myself an electronic muscle stimulator / TENS unit and I am not sure if it’s had anything to do with my improvement or not but I feel like it has. I use it a couple times a day. The EMS is also helping with the pain. I still have a numbness and I still cannot do knee extensions but I have hope. Something I did not have a couple weeks ago.

Cheers!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom