TKR jeannesg's recovery thread

jeannesg

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone! I've been following this site for a little while, and learned so much.

I had TKR on August 13, 2018. I have a question that I don't think has been asked yet, if it has I apologize for not finding it. I've been doing quite well with exercises and walking with a cane.

My concern is my knee at times hyper-extends, and scares the hell out of me. I mentioned it to my doctor's APRN that I saw on Friday, she said it will go away once the muscles get stronger in my leg. Just curious if this has happened to anyone else. Thank you in advance, and for all the information this group offers for newbies like myself.

Mine still does hyperextend sometimes, though it is infrequently. It seems to happen after a lot of walking or bike riding. It's never bad enough to make me fall, but it is scary. I bet in time yours will be much stronger and will become much more stable. Since you are a new tkr patient, you get your very own recovery articles. Following these will help you to have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

So that's what its called!!! i get that sometimes - I call it my knee "buckling". it doesn't happen often, but it is scary when it does. I mentioned it to my PT and he said that it will improve as the leg/quads get stronger.
Youre not the only one!!!

It happens to me too, I'm 20 weeks post surgery. I also wondered what it was called!! My PT said the same thing.

Hyperextension is when the knee goes too far back.

It happens to me and it gives me the hibbie jibbies every time! Glad to know I’m not alone!

Thank you for clearing that up sistersinhim. What I experience is the buckling that Jacimarble mentioned, the feeling that the knee is going to give out.

Thank you so much! I was a little nervous to post here, really not computer savvy! My husband coached me on, and I'm glad he did!! I feel much better knowing it's part of the healing process. Not that I didn't believe my nurse... Good night all! :sleep:

I'm 3 days post op and I noticed my knee hyperextends on occasion too. Such a new feeling for me. Makes sense that when the muscles strengthen that will improve. Thanks for bringing that up @jeannesg

I am 5 weeks post TKR today and my knee also hyperextends at times, especially if I am walking without my cane, which I have been doing at home. The doctor and PT both say it will go away as my muscle tone improves.

Hi Josephine, no other issues with other joints. Thank you for the information! Not yet anyway...seems like I hit 60, and everything is going south!

So today is my first nasty rainy day since surgery. I was fine all morning, but by 3:00 this afternoon my pain level went from a 1 to a 9!! I haven't taken any pain meds for 4 days, but you betcha we did today!:blackcloud:

You're doing very well....just remember this is a roller coaster recovery. Some days are good; some not as good. Just take each day as it comes...

@Laurenkate Thank you. It sure is. My emotions are also doing a roller coaster ride today. I see you had both knees done, I'm not so sure I want to go down that road. My doctor said my right knee would be fine for now, but I fear its being overused.

@jeannesg - I said the same thing; would never have another replacement. However, the rate of deterioration in my right knee was shocking. (We decided it was jealous of the "new" knee :) but recovery from the first probably did stress it.) I was hoping to put off having the second replacement done until next January but my husband convinced me to have it done sooner rather than later - and it was the best thing he's ever done for me. Even though it was also bone on bone, it didn't get nearly as bad as the left one which is (perhaps) why recovery has been a little easier.

And that's why I'm so glad I found this site! Thanks @Laurenkate. So much information and knowledge from someone who has lived it. I hope your recovery goes smoothly, and you're back to doing whatever it is that makes you happy!! :flwrysmile:

Hi all! Hope everyone is doing well. Quick update on my knee issue. I saw the doctor today and told him about my hyperextending problem. He says it's not that at all, ( as he pushed down on my knee...ughhh) he said it was because my muscles are still weak. Told me to keep up with the recumbent bike, and I go back in 6 weeks. Other than that everything is going well. I'm at the stage of the sharp stabbing pain that comes out of nowhere...Always at the wrong time....church, restaurant.. :yikes: I still tend to hold on to things as I walk, hopefully this will stop once I get the muscles stronger. On a great note, I haven't had any meds, even Advil in a few days!! :yahoo: I'll say good night for now, thinking good thoughts for everyone!!

I'm at the stage of the sharp stabbing pain that comes out of nowhere...Always at the wrong time....church, restaurant.
Those pains like lightning bolts hitting the knees are what we call zingers. My PA said that they are nerves reattaching and healing. They aren't fun at all! I still have very mild one in my numb area.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JPL2016
Recent bookmarks