Revision TKR Added spacer in tkr

Jean houston

Country
United States United States
Pain after tkr 18 months ago. Hurts worst everyday.

Total knee replacement 16 months ago and so much pain still.

Hello @Jean houston - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you, and so we can work out exactly how long ago you had your surgery? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Would you care to tell us a bit more about how your recovery went, whether you iced and elevated your knee, how much exercise you did, and anything else that could help us to help you?

Have you been back to your surgeon and what did he/she say about your knee?

I've merged your two threads, since they're both about the same thing.

my tkr hurts a lot after 17 monthsI . I had a emg , a c-protein test a skyline view exray a stand up exray, nm bone scan with concrast, next week a bone marrow test, going to therapy for tapig and exercise WHAT ELSE CAN i do?

@Jean houston - I've moved your post, above, from someone else's thread. Please post about your own knee in this thread, which is your thread, where you write about your knee and we advise you.

We prefer people to only have one thread.
This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads or posting in the wrong place, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. Bookmark it, so you don't lose it.
This may help: How can I find my threads and posts?

If you would like a new thread title just post what you would like it to be and we'll change it for you

If you're having trouble managing posting here, this section has lots of useful articles:
How To Use This Forum

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you, and so we can work out exactly how long ago you had your surgery? Thank you. :flwrysmile:

My surgery was July 2018 right knee, No problems what so ever except for pain. Went to dr for three follow ups for pain. Then about Jan 2019 went to dr for follow up complaining of pain he said takes time. In July 2019 he sent me for a mri for my back, said it was my problem. I had to go for surgery on L3 and L4 with a fusion in Sept. Dr still feels like no problem. I changed drs new dr said I had loose knee would probably need a revision, I am looking at another third opinion to see if I can get two on the same page. New dr said maybe add more spacer later . Will continue with therapy and tapping but then what. Anyone else know about spacers

Welcome to Bonesmart. Please tell us your exact date and which knee had your TKR. We will add it to your signature for you. It will help us advise you better.

There have been a few on here that have had spacer replacements. The surgery is usually easier to recover from since none of the major pieces of the hardware have to be removed. But, if the implant is loose, it will have to be replaced.

Be sure and let us know what you find out from your third opinion.

My surgery was July 2018 right knee
What date in July, please?

Spacer replacement is quite a common procedure and it usually fixes the problem. Your knee would have to be opened up again, but recovery from that is much shorter and easier than recovery from a complete knee replacement.

How does the doctor decide how much more spacer to add to your knee is there a special test?

At surgery, there is usually a range of spacer sizes in the set-up, so the surgeon can try and test them.

He/she will also have to bend and straighten your knee with the trial spacer in place, to see which one gives the best result.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed some people know how much their doctors is going to increase their spacer ahead of the procedure , thats what I dont understand. if the spacer is to large will it prevent you from straightening your knee? Im sorry if i'm a worrier but i am new to all this. i have read a lot of threads,and I am learning a lot.

I've never heard of a patient knowing what size spacer the OS was going to use before even having the surgery. I don't see how that would be possible. The doctor has to actually see your knee inside to see how it is going to move with certain spacers. He wouldn't even know before hand. He might have an idea of what size but can't be sure until he tries it.

Thank you for your reply. i am happy to hear from you , will let you know if that day comes..

It’s been awhile since I have put anything out there to read, but I had a bone scan in December and a bone marrow scan done Jan 2, the reports couldn’t find anything seriously wrong but pain is still there. I’m in physical therapy and tapping for a maltracking problem. Doing 1250 Tylenol as well as 600 gabapentine 3 times a day. Don’t know what to do next. It’s now been 18 months since surgery. Has anyone had the same problems.

My doctor said Physical therapy for 3 to 6 months for a slight tilt, I say it is more than a slight tilt. does anyone else have any information about this photo.

Attachments

• 217A9110-009E-4273-A140-3938E3A54BA0.jpeg
    217A9110-009E-4273-A140-3938E3A54BA0.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 215
Also taping and no infection from test results.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

I've never heard of a patient knowing what size spacer the OS was going to use before even having the surgery.

In my case it was simply a matter of going to the next larger size, from 13mm to 16mm. When I was in recovery, I asked the Dr. if he was sure it was big enough (luckily for me, he never got upset when I asked him stupid questions), and he told me there was no way he could have gotten the next larger size in. It was difficult enough just getting the 16mm spacer back in.

So, I doubt very much there are many choices involved.

In the original surgery these things are done in sequence. In a spacer replacement surgery, the knee is all put back together already, and they are prying out the old spacer and squeezing in the new one (excuse my use of non-medical terms). From what I was told, there aren't many options.

I would think that's probably true in most if not all spacer replacements. It's just a matter of one size difference.

I suppose if one knew what size was used in the first place, and what the next size was in that model of knee, well then yes, I can see how someone would know ahead of time.

Last edited:
Add photo EAF8C27E-148A-4CA6-9670-8E46F2D5C3DB.jpeg
This is my knee taken by my dr. She thinks 3 months of therapy will do it what does anyone out there think.? i will be happy to get a response .dr said a little tilted I think a lot tilted.​

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts