TKR Jaye’s recovery thread

Jaybird, I have ridden on an e-bike and it was a good experience. People don't understand that you are riding a regular (but heavier) bike and only get the boost when you choose. I compared it to my legs becoming suddenly stronger when I used the power going up hills.

I love the joy you are getting from riding your bike. I can't wait until I can get back on my bike this summer. It's so much fun.

Keep posting about your bike rides and how your knee handles them!

Lynn, I am loving the bike for sure. I didn’t ride it to work today because it was my first day back and I wasn’t sure how my knee would do. However, I can report that after four hours sitting at my desk an hour of icing when I got home was enough to subdue the swelling. So IMO, not too bad. With the limited hours I signed up for so far, I have an actual waiting list of clients, which is flattering. Based on today I may be willing to up my hours next weekend, but I think I’m going to stay at 4 hrs/day this week. I will, however, be riding my bike from here out (barring rain, huge wind, etc.)

Well, we didn’t have rain, but we did have wind, cold, and excuses that have prevented my riding my bike to work so far. I work tomorrow, but I have off-island PT before, so I’ll drive straight from there. It should be gorgeous Saturday, I hope to be able to ride to the farmers market and on to work then.

Had my 8 (actually 9) week followup with my OS this morning, all is good and I’m free to do whatever is comfortable. I see him again in 10 months. I completely forgot to tell him how impressed I am with my scar - I will send him an email.

I SO wish my surgeon had basically discharged me at 9 weeks. I had way too many check ups and they were a source of great stress.

Enjoy the farm market!

Hate the sports drink, but the fruit punch one was not that bad. Pre-op hospital nurse said it could be apple juice or other no-pulp sugary drink, so coke would be fine.

Finished my first week back at work today - I only worked 4 days, 4hrs/day. I’m tired when I get home, but it’s manageable. I’m icing at night. It feels good to be back, actually. I’d been planning to keep to this schedule for the whole month of February if I can, but it’s becoming increasingly obvious that it would be a good idea to make more hours available judging by the length of the wait list I’ve got.

It sounds like you're managing fine being back to work with a reasonable schedule. It's best to start back just the way you are doing it. Making it through February should get you back to full time just fine.

11 weeks yesterday. I’ve been fairly consistent in riding my bike to work - it’s ~3.5 miles round trip, so not bad. My planned 4 hours/day schedule is gradually expanding - I’m basically meeting with clients during my 4 hours and doing all of their returns as drop offs, so that I can keep my foot up while actually processing the return. That also lets me fit more people into my 4 hours.

I feel great. Walking without pain is so awesome! There’s basically nothing I want to do that I can’t (well, I can’t get to yoga as much as I’d like, but that’s because I set up my work availability assuming that I wouldn’t be able to do yoga for several months, so I‘m only going Mondays for now.) I wish I had done this when it was first recommended, three years ago. It has been nothing short of miraculous for me.

That is such great news! You’ll be boating soon!

Thanks! I’ve been reading along on your MUA - I’m glad it has helped, but sorry you had to do it) We tried to get out on the sailboat last Sunday, but wound up driving around with no wind. Actually, it was pretty nice (for me anyway), but Art was a bit bummed about the lack of wind. This weekend (my weekend is Sun/Mon) looks a bit more promising.

Jaybird, You are my hero! Biking to work 3.5 miles! I can't imagine. My surgery was a few days before yours and I walked around the block twice the other day and it was a big triumph for me and then I had to nap. Goooooooo You!!!! You are inspiring!

Thanks, all. I was amazingly lucky in my recovery, and hit every milestone before I expected to. I’ve been getting exercise as my knee allows, which is way more than I thought it would be. Getting my knee done was without a doubt the right thing. I hadn't realized how sedentary I’d been until I was able to get around.

22 weeks out for me, and I feel fantastic. Up to 20 mile rides on the bike, usually 3x/week now that I’m not going to work. Walking at least a couple of miles all the other days. Sailing and Whalering, but not rowing yet - confidence in my balance seems to be one of the last things to come back. My knee is not normal, in that it still feels a bit thick and numb, but it works well enough. I am a happy camper (or I would be if all of our state parks weren’t closed).

Wish I was in my caravan and can only use indoor bike not allowed out yet in UK

What amazing bike rides you are having! That was one of the things I couldn't wait to get back to. I'm right there with you on the camping. I'm really missing it. All our campgrounds are closed. Soon it'll be too hot to camp or hike.

Sorry it never gets to hot I love heat and it makes my knees a lot less painful ,would love to live somewhere hot all year round.Today in garden it is 90 but they say by Sunday back to single figures for week

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back