TKR Jaye’s recovery thread

I pulled the trigger on an e-bike this afternoon. There was a beautifully made (and commensurately priced) Dutch-made Gazelle that I was considering, but the fact that the closest dealer is ~30 miles from here, plus the $1200 price difference, I decided to go with a Giant from the shop on the island where I’ve gotten two previous bikes. They’re installing a front rack and a phone holder tonight, and I’ll take the bus over tomorrow morning and ride it home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh! That sounds lovely!
It was. I missed the people as much as the yoga, although I'd seen several of them 1:1, it’s also a great group - I’ve been going to this class for maybe four years

Once again, I want to live where you live! Around these parts, suburban though it may be, it seems hardly worth it to ride an electric bike with all the cars and pleasant roads broken up by busy, wide thoroughfares.

Enjoy that ride home, today! And all the other rides in the future!

How exciting Jaybird! My new home is 7 houses down from a bike/ pedestrian bridge that leads to hundreds of miles of beautiful bike trails. I’m impatiently waiting to be able to use them after my bilateral TKR. I haven’t been able to ride a bike other then my stationary one for several years. How did you decide on an ebike? They intrigue me & ive considered one

My new home is 7 houses down from a bike/ pedestrian bridge that leads to hundreds of miles of beautiful bike trails.
I am so jealous. We have a 52 mile trail that's about 90 minutes away that I drive to about 3 times a year. The drive takes longer than the bike ride. I'd love to have a trail much closer.

Pam, our son has had several self-built and commercial ebikes, starting about 10 years ago, and uses one as his primary vehicle for a 15 mile each way commute, so we’ve both ridden them. My surgeon said that biking is great, but biking up hills is not. Alameda lacks hills, but can be very windy, which is basically the same thing. The one I got is pedal assist, not throttle, so it feels like you’re riding a regular bike, just with bionic legs. I can’t wait to be able to ride with my husband again - it’s been years.

Jaye I may need to go look at them. I live in Eugene Oregon which is very much geared towards bike riding with bike lanes on most roads as well as hundreds of miles of bike/ pedestrian trials. I didn’t know they were pedal assist! I think I will look at them when I hit the point in recovery that I’d be able to ride ...... it’ll be something to look forward to. Have a wonderful time with your new bike

The bike is the bomb! Rode it home from the store (~3 mi), then to Safeway and back (~4 mi), then out and back to Faction brewing out on the old Navy base (~4 mi) for a growler, and my knee feels absolutely fine. Plus, it is so much fun! Yes, it was expensive, but this is going to eliminate almost all of the on-island driving I still do. I mean, unless I need to pick up a case of wine or something, I can definitely carry a shop for a few days meals and some household stuff and carry it easily between the two pannier bags, front basket and back rack.

Pam, we have friends who live in Eugene. It (and Portland) are some of the most bike-friendly cities in the U.S.

So is it like, motorized? It does sound like fun!

I wish we had more bike trails here. I bought myself a nice cruiser bike a few years ago, but honestly don’t use it as much as I thought I would. Between winter 7 months of the year, the risk of bear and moose, and drivers who seem to want to aim for you.... I might end up putting it up for sale this summer. My bf used to longboard, but doesn’t do that much anymore for the same reasons. I’d have to drive to a park then go biking, which we have done with our dog that’s now passed. He’d run himself stupid and loved it. Our current dog, not so much, she’s a bit too flighty.

So very cool Jaye! I will go look at them when I get far enough into recovery to use one (if I have any $$$ left at that time ). I had a patient tell me today about a bike riding game where it’s virtual trails that you use with a trainer indoors. I may check that out too.

Jockette, it has an electric motor attached to the crank (pedals) that kicks in a little or a lot depending on what assist level you’ve selected and how hard you’re pushing on the pedals. It feels a bit like magic, honestly.

Moose would probably put me right off riding, Sondrals. I’ve had my car surrounded by Tule elk on a one lane dirt road on the lost coast in northern CA - huge ruminants freak me out a bit, TBH, and I don’t think I’d react well on a bike.

I was in an ancient Volvo 240 DL wagon at the time. Not a high clearance or powerful car (or 4WD) and honestly not a car I had any business being where I was in. I used to do a lot of stupid stuff in pursuit of backcountry.

I’m trying to think of something funny to say about being surrounded by elk, but it just feels like a satire of a Jordan Peele horror movie — imagine Get Out with elk or Us with moose. Or maybe don’t imagine it; it sounds creepy.

It felt sort of like Get Out w/elk, honestly. They’re huge, so mostly what I could see from inside the car was legs. Lots and lots of legs.

Went for a 15 mile ride w/Art this afternoon, with one stop at a bewery near the end. I’d kept using my bike as transportation, but riding just for pleasure is something I haven’t done in a long while. It was fantastic, and the bike is an absolute joy.

And we’re there any elk, with scissors?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom