TKR Jaye’s recovery thread

It has been really nice to get outside and go for longer walks these past couple of weeks. The bike is next - I’m considering getting an electric one so as not to stress my knee.

LD, I haven’t had to resort to the mall yet here, but that or Target are my backup plan.

loneshark, welcome to the other side.

So today was 6 weeks. I am amazed at how good I feel. My knee is a bit stiff and still somewhat swollen, but already eons better than it was pre-surgery. I’ve been using the silicon scar stuff, and it appears to work. It’s a pain waiting for the gel to dry, though. I almost prefer the strips.

We went out for dinner (again, who accepted that invitation?) tonight, and I was sitting upright for something like 2 1/2 hours and it was fine. I can sit cross-legged on the floor, walk any distance I would want to, and, as of today, use my water rower (a little bit). We’ll see how I feel tomorrow, but right now I feel great.

I go back to work Feb1. I earn virtually all my income between January and April (tax preparer) so I’m happy to be able to get back at it as quickly as I will apparently be able to.

I didn’t intentionally walk at all today, but between Safeway, Trader Joes and out for dinner, have somehow done 4362 steps and 6 flights of stairs.

Last edited:
Keep those steps a coming J. I drove and went to Walmart, alone, just on my cane and leaning on my shopping cart (not exactly a scintillating event) but it did add to my steps and stamina. Woo-hoo!

LD, my first outing to Target by myself was a milestone for me. Congrats on Walmart!

i found that putting my cane in the cart and just using the cart for support was easier than cane + cart, but YMMV.

So we walked down to our local for a beer this afternoon (plus needed some stuff at the hardware store, which is on the way). Then a couple of hours later, our newish next door neighbors come by and ask if we want to go with them to the seafood place out by the end of the island. Of course we went - always good to get to know the nabes. This is an easy walk, so we walked there as well. Had a lovely dinner with them and their absolutely adorable 15 month old daughter. Very nice folks. 9171 steps today, and I feel great. Icing tonight, however, just in case.

And, yes. If you’re keeping track, that is dinner out three times in a row. This really has to stop.

Last edited:
I want to live where you live! So much walking!

We are very fortunate to live where we do. This is a picture from my walk a couple of days ago

A93F29E6-D83B-403E-AF67-34B8201D3015.jpeg

6.5 weeks out and feeling fabulous. Being able to walk without pain is something I haven’t done since 2005, and I love it. Went for two walks today - one with the spousal unit, one sin esposo. My total milage for the day is usually ~3 or so lately. Tomorrow’s going to be crappy, but on Wednesday we’re thinking we’ll go look at electric bikes. My first day at work will be 2/1.

I’m 7 weeks out today. Instead of coming up with yet more ways to spend money (i.e. looking at electric bikes), we went on a long walk - about 3m - this afternoon. It was a gorgeous day, and our route had us mostly along the beach. I also discovered today that I can sit cross-legged on the floor. Not for long, mind you, but I can definitely get into (and out of, and up from) the position just fine.

You truly are having what we call an amazing recovery! You are very blessed! :flwrysmile:

And very grateful, Jockette. I know this could have gone very differently.

I just want to update my rowing machine experience. Turns out that it’s working out quite well. Have you tried it yet?

I haven’t, but that’s very encouraging.

I just have to watch my pace because my range of motion is shorter. If I feel for the pace, instinctively, my stroke rate is too fast and I feel like I’m blistering the inside of my knee. If I remember my stroke length is shorter, I can adjust my rate to something more sane for me.

I have missed the rower so much, so I’m glad to have worked this out.

In May, I hope to take lessons on rowing a real scull (is that the right word?). It’s the goal that’s keeping me going when I get really low.

I am so jealous of your amazing recovery! You are so blessed, living by the beach is a dream of mine as well. Keep up the great recovery!

Gorgeous photo! & wow sitting cross legged - I’m impressed

To be fair, I’ve always been super-flexible, and sitting cross legged is more about hips than knees, really.

I went to yoga* for the first time since October today. Boy, did that feel good. I hadn’t realized how much I’d missed that until I was doing it. Also, I can kneel!!! (on several layers of blanket)

*The last Monday of the month is always restorative - I’m definitely easing into things here.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom