TKR JASPA 2nd recovery

jaspa

senior
Country
United States United States
Day 2, Thanks everyone for your well wishes, came home yesterday at 90 flex. Today had PT visit and at 83. I will see her again Friday.

Doctor gives celebration lunch when leaving, with tablecloth and China in your room.

Slept 2 times 3 hrs each in the hospital the first night and home last night.

Oxy 5 mg each 4 hrs and a few extra strength Tylenol.

Moderators can you move me to Post Op Recovery.

Hi, @jaspa Welcome to recovery! :wave:

So glad to hear from you and wow, nice dinner with China!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Welcome to this side of the surgery. Be patient, take care of yourself and remember your meds schedule.
:yes!:

Welcome to the other side! :egypdance:

Wow! Fancy dinner with china, that's nice! Like every one said, be patient with yourself. The first few weeks are the hardest, it will get easier in time!

Congratulations on surgery! Please keep us updated on how you're doing.
Remember, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon :) Highs and lows but at that recovery finish line is success! I'm still far from it but I can see the light there and it's going to be great.

Jaspa,

Good to see you on the other side. Keep us updated

Day 5, you count the day of surgery don't you?
Had home PT this am measured 90.
Tried recliner again with her and grandson here can't get up from there maybe next week, did 3 different exercises she is gentle, doing good

At 5 days, I needed every available pull/push handle helper that I could get - lol. I have a favorite rocker/recliner and could not get into or out of that chair for weeks.

I built a wooden platform for my recliner to sit on so it was higher and easier to get in and out of.

Week 1 Thanks everyone for the well wishes! Got bandaged changed and cleaned today by homecare and just woke up from nap. Only used so far half of 5 mg pills of oxy but called for refill as they only week supply. PT on Friday was harder just exercises 2xs a day but didn't put sneakers on Saturday and by night foot leg very badly swollen, almost couldn't get sneaker on Sunday but did and swelling was down sum. Up every 2 to 3 hrs at night to pee take either oxy or 2 extra strength Tylenol. Daughter let's me stay overnight by myself since Sat and yesterday she and brand's let me stay by myself, come by to serve food, feed cats. I have slept in bed each night Hope all is well with everyone

Good news @jaspa ! Keep icing and elevating; the swelling will improve!

I've been thinking about you Jaspa. Sounds like things are pretty good. I've been concerned about the multiple trips to the bathroom during the night. Glad you are in your own bed.

I remember taking lots of trips to the bathroom at night, I still do it often! It's extra fluid your body is trying to get rid of. Make sure you are using your walker for stability. Glad to hear you are doing pretty well. Make sure you eat something when you take that oxy, I found a cup of pudding was helpful to have bedside, I didn't have to refrigerate it.

Well I learned a lesson, don't rush getting into the shower. My daughter/granddaughter had me take a shower on Tues. but when getting in I was so scared but did it and may have move my leg too fast as I made the quad a hard rock overnight. PT told me yesterday I should have called her the next day and she would have told me to use a heating pad on that area, it works as it was still sore and the heat about the incision was great. Still icing especially after the exercises and getting 2-3 hrs sleep at a time. My doctor doesn't believe necessary to raise leg above heart but move every hr so fitbit is set and I do get up when not sleeping. My family now let me stay home alone LOL. they come to feed cats twice a day and if I need something warmed up from freezer.

It's good to have the help 11 days out. I hope your weekend is uneventful.

Glad to hear from you, Jaspa! I remember the first time getting into the shower being a bit scary too. I just had to step up and over the door frame as we have a walk-in shower but I was so afraid I would slip. Hubby stood by in case I needed him. Glad you are ok except for your quad. It sounds like you are doing well otherwise.

Good to catch up on your progress and sounds like you are doing OK. Any little bit of extra movement will anger that knee and it will shout at you!! Bet the shower felt nice and glad you have daily help as it’s very early days. Good luck in the days ahead.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks