Lounge Doctor

TKR Jaspa's Pre op Thread

jaspa

Country
United States United States
I am scheduled for October 11th to have TRK done, they will only do one at a time.
Just was to Ortho PA this am due to extreme swelling in left leg / ankle and numbness in foot. He referred me to vascular surgeon who I will see July 29th. I'm swimming 7 days a week either walking in water or swimming on my back which Ortho PA says is good to do.
My surgeon has said "knee replacement operation will increase her motion at best by about 5-10 degrees and she understands that the traditional goals of 120 degrees of flexion after knee replacement will not be reached, but the primary goal of the operation will be to decrease pain and allow her to remain independent." I have learned alot from reading on bonesmart.org

Last edited:

Pumpkin

Country
Welcome :welome:
New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Pumpkin

Country
You'll notice that I have moved your newest post and started your pre op thread.

So please post any updates, questions or concerns about TKR here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

OP
OP
jaspa

jaspa

Country
I hate that my surgery is 3 months away. I wish it was sooner but family couldn't help then. Worried that I will not do well with just me and the 3 cats but it is a small house on one level which I'm thankful for.

Pumpkin

Country

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
So can your family come to help with things like laundry etc. at first? I had someone with me for the first couple of days, which was nice for the fetching and carrying--keeping the ice machine filled etc. But I did fine on my own on a day to day basis. I did have family and friends who took me to PT and helped with laundry for a while.
Being on one level will be very helpful for you.
Check out the info Pumpkin shared in the post above.

OP
OP
jaspa

jaspa

Country
Bonesmart has so much information, and I am thankful for a friend who suggested the site. I have been shopping for supplies to have at the house.
Already got the (2) of the large ice packs from Amazon that were suggested, got a free walker with seat and breaks / wheels from a neighbor who was giving it away, however, it will not go through doorway to bathroom so have to find out about getting a small one for that. Put the grabber on my list for Lowes tomorrow before my appt. for a US VL STANDING VENOUS DUPLEX BILATERAL which vascular doctor is requesting due to the swelling in my left leg.
I really don't want to have to use an ice machine as I think it would be more trouble so how many ice packs do you suggest, I already have a recliner and probably will have to sleep in that to begin with after putting a big cushion from another chair on it to raise it up more. I just hope Covid doesn't delay all of this -- thanks everyone for your posts.

Jockette

Country
I only had 2 ice/gel packs at first, and thankfully the hospital sent them home with me, because no one told me beforehand that I would need them! (I didn’t find Bonesmart until 4 weeks post op) They were great in the hospital but at home they froze too solid and were not flexible until they warmed up. Over time I bought more and didn’t like every one I got, so since you have plenty of time, you might want to get some and actually use them to see how you like them.

I guess maybe at least 4-6 so you always have one ready? I admit I didn’t ice often enough because I really didn’t like it!

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You might check with your doctors office to see if they organize a walker through the hospital and your health plan. The hospital sent me home with one and it was partially covered by my insurance. They set it to the right height and I used it to walk at the hospital.

OP
OP
jaspa

jaspa

Country
I have a question with all the posts about ROM the following is a quote from my surgeon on my last appointment when we scheduled the surgery
"She understands that knee replacement operation will increase her motion at best by about 5-10 degrees and she understands that the traditional goals of 120 degrees of flexion after knee replacement will not be reached, but the primary goal of the operation will be to decrease pain and allow her to remain independent."
What does this mean to me?

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@jaspa I think what your surgeon is saying is it's perfectly fine for you to go slow and easy during your recuperation -- that surgeon's expectations and apparently yours are that having this surgery will decrease your pain and help you stay independent but that you wont be getting a knee that functions like you're 25yo or even 55yo.... and you should not even try for that level of functioning. That's how I interpret what you quoted here ... and I'm not a medical person nor have I had knee replacement but I do have experience reading doctor speak :snork:

OP
OP
jaspa

jaspa

Country
@djklaugh thank you for your response, I plan on asking the PA and the physical therapist before the surgery what that means since I have pre-surgery appointments with both of them but will not be seeing the surgeon again until the day of the surgery.

Jockette

Country
What is your range of motion like right now?

Suziep

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I was on my own when I came out of hospital the first full day , I have a partner but specifically told him I didn't want him to book time of work to look after me , I like my own company, I could please myself what I did , when to sleep , eat get dressed etc.
I found it okay and managed well.
I was able to prepare a simple meal , put laundry in machine , wash and dress myself.
I think it's better to try if you can as it gets you mobile quicker.
I realise not everyone can do this but other than the TLKR I am quite fit and able , I really try to be as independent as I possibly can be.
My partner has been a superstar though doing the shopping and gardening etc.
I'm now on day 19 after my op and today went food shopping with him for the first time , paying the price now as aching all over but it felt like a huge achievement, I clung on to that shopping trolley until my knuckles were white lol.
Take care everyone, speedy recovery to you all .

OP
OP
jaspa

jaspa

Country
@Jockette I don't know what by ROM is now. I know I cannot bend my left knee very far at all and can do better with the right which will have the surgery.
@Suziep I know I will be in the hospital at least 2 days since I am alone and do not want to go to rehap and will be out of bed the day of the surgery.

Jockette

Country
I am so thankful for bonesmart as when I see my PT person before the surgery which my surgeon set up I will find out what is expected and I WILL BE SURE to set the record straight about how far I will go based on what I have learned here.
And if you don't feel this is the right PT facility for you, it’s fine to switch to someplace else. You make the final decision.

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
@jaspa.....of course, I don't know your exact medical situation and it's good you're going to talk with your surgeon about the comment of only gaining a slight bit of ROM after your surgery, but I must say that our experience with members over more than a decade has been that it is possible to regain ROM following a knee replacement. However, depending on your exact medical situation and the length of time you've had reduced ROM, it could take quite a while to achieve. Muscles and ligaments that have been shortened or stretched due to the poor alignment that comes with bad knees must normalize very gradually. So, while I'm not saying this will happen, I am saying it certainly could happen in the year or two following your surgery if you work on gentle stretches consistently. Those water exercises you're doing now will be perfect once you get through the initial healing months for your knee.

You say the ROM on your left knee is worse than your right, yet it's the right one you're having replaced. Is this because of pain in your right knee and it's less than the left? Do you have plans to replace the left one as well?

OP
OP
jaspa

jaspa

Country
@Jamie yes other knee will be done, less pain in it since I know I can move it much and the right was is a lot less stable.

Jamie

OneStep AMBASSADOR
Senior Administrator
Country
OneStep Ambassador Icon
Thanks for the explanation. That's what I thought might be the case, but wanted to be sure.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
right TKR 2 Mo
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom