TKR JASPA 2nd recovery

Can't believe it will be2weeks tomorrow!
I got to have another shower yesterday and did slow approach in which was better.
I'm thinking of trying 2 Colace instead of one which I've been on since surgery, even though I'm making progress every other day. Still need help getting compression stockings on and off only take off for night time sleeping and wear by sneakers when not in bed
Love those fushion cold packs recommended here and sleep with ice the 1st part of night, at least 3 potty breaks at night but getting 6 to 7 hrs and averaging 4 to 5 oxy 5gram in a 24 HR period with 2 tylenol extra when needed, it could be worst, dont.know yet if staples will go tomorrow or Tuesday.

Jaspa, so interesting how things are done differently. I never got compression hose. Just exercises to do for blood clots. No staples either, disappearing stitches with glue over them.

Well I learned a lesson, don't rush getting into the shower. My daughter/granddaughter had me take a shower on Tues. but when getting in I was so scared but did it and may have move my leg too fast as I made the quad a hard rock overnight. PT told me yesterday I should have called her the next day and she would have told me to use a heating pad on that area, it works as it was still sore and the heat about the incision was great. Still icing especially after the exercises and getting 2-3 hrs sleep at a time. My doctor doesn't believe necessary to raise leg above heart but move every hr so fitbit is set and I do get up when not sleeping. My family now let me stay home alone LOL. they come to feed cats twice a day and if I need something warmed up from freezer.
Maybe get some muscle relaxants too? That is what I had to do. Good luck to you!

Good to read that you are making progress. Keep it up!!

With a discussion with my home PT who comes 2xs a week I postponed in person for an additional2weeks as she is pleased with my commitment to exercise and ROM of 97 when I was only 90 before surgery, plus outside PT is 35 minute ride

plus outside PT is 35 minute ride
I copied your post above so I could comment here in your thread.

You are wise to wait to go to out patient PT, a 35 minute ride is a long ride for you at this point in your recovery. If that ride is a problem when you do go, wait a bit longer. There are plenty of things you can do at home on your own. And always remember:

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

Thanks for your comment on my thread jaspa, I have been following you silently for a while now as you are a little ahead of me, you appear to live alone, and it sounds as if you are doing very well
My husband lives in his own home about 10 miles away from me, but he is caring for me at present.
I am reluctant to take my 1st shower and getting in the car for physio is a definite NO not for a few weeks yet.
I will be so relived to get these unpleasant first weeks out of the way.

@Cass1e the 1st shower was very zcary but i turned the walker around and had my back to it while daughter held it which gave me extra security, but i did swing my leg too fast the 1st time and my quad hurt the next night
2nd shower slower and better and yes i live alone with 2 1 yr old kittens and 9 yr old cat all rescues

I was so nervous for the first few weeks getting in and out of the shower. Left my walker right at the edge so I could hold it stepping out. Noticed about the 4th week that I finally wasn’t so scared to turn around in the shower to wash my hair.

It would be helpful to get your hands on a shower seat so you wouldn’t have to stand throughout the whole thing. Eventually, you will feel more secure. It is still early days for you.

Here I am 3 wks out and I am using cane for some walking in house and my groin feels the difference due to a different way of walking but home PT is happy with my progress today and since steristrips are still on she said things look fine and when I take shower some of them probably will fall off. Only 1 more week of the compression stockings!:happydance: Didn't need any ice last night which was nice and was up twice for potty and only 2 tylenol at one of those stops. Doing my exercises 2 or 3 times a day, warming most of my meals and my ROM was 97 today!

Yep, slow and steady. You're doing great, Jaspa!

@jaspa Sounds like you are coming along nicely and you will feel so much better after you ditch the compression stocking, on my first replacement I wore the full leg compression stocking for 4 weeks, plus I had a nightly injection into my stomach, kindly done by my husband, bless him, despite being as gentle as he could, I was black & blue at the end of the 28 nights, dots all over my tummy- thankfully I had a bit of spare flesh (sometimes being slightly over weight has it's benefits haha) I am hoping this time round neither is necessary but not holding my breath as its the same surgeon.
Try and take the slow approach it will benefit you in the long run, my left knee is doing great and now taking the full weight, post my right knee surgery xx

One Month today!
Rom was as High as 99 but yesterday was 92, last home PT is Friday. Still up twice a night and have to ice about 3 or 4 am have not had oxy in 2 days only one or 2 times Tylenol. Still can't sleep on my side and using cane for moving around house. Daughter took me for drive in community yesterday so I could see how going down 2 stairs and get into car would be, wasn't bad. I no longer have to wear the compression stockings hurray!!!!!!
Sometimes I get zingers but not bad.

Congratulations @jaspa ! You are doing really well being able to give up the pain meds. I'm still taking naproxen and tylenol at 8 weeks out.

Don't worry too much about the numbers. My flexion has gone up and down quite a bit over the weeks. So much depends upon how swollen the joint is at the moment they take the measurement. Besides, the tool itself isn't exactly precise. I've had two different people measure me in the same session and get different numbers!

I was still struggling with night time pain at 4 weeks, as well. As I recall, it wasn't until about week 6 that I finally managed to sleep on my side. It's a slow dance, but you'll get there.

Keep thinking positive thoughts! :SUNsmile:

Wow! One month went fast! It sounds like you are doing great, @jaspa ! :yay:

@jaspa You seem to be doing quite well! I hope things continue to go smoothly for you! Sending healing thoughts your way!

Jaspa, so interesting how things are done differently. I never got compression hose. Just exercises to do for blood clots. No staples either, disappearing stitches with glue over them.

When I asked my surgeon how long the wretched stockings had to stay on for[ the nurse had rolled them on for me the day after the op] , he said they were the least of the clot prevention procedures and as long as I took the blood thinner [tablet not injection - far more civilised than a jab in the stomach]] and moved frequently, I could dispense with them when I went home.
I haven't looked at my disappearing [dissolvable] stitches as they seem to have disappeared. :) :-) (:

Your doing great Jaspa,
Keep it up. Just go slow and steady one foot in front of the other, one day at a time.

Booger

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom