THR Jasmacc’s THR journey

I have bilateral parentheses....very slight indent now with faint white scars...
It was much more prominant the first year.

Happy Two Month Anniversary to you, dent and all! :wink:
As you can see you're in good company...so it's normal. I hope you had a nice day and your recovery continues to go well. A great week to you!
@Jasmacc

Happy Two Month Anniversary to you, dent and all! :wink:
As you can see you're in good company...so it's normal. I hope you had a nice day and your recovery continues to go well. A great week to you!
@Jasmacc
My dent and I thank you for the well wishes. I think my recovery is on track at this stage. I still have a few muscles aches, but I feel like I’m slowly improving,

I still have a few muscles aches, but I feel like I’m slowly improving,
So glad to read that you are noticing improvement! It's hard to be patient through this recovery -- which is slow for most of us. Those muscles aches will gradually disappear as your body becomes accustomed to its new alignment.

Please come back and let us know how you are doing!

NEW SHOES?
Coming up to 9 weeks post op and I’ve notice the foot on my operated leg is beginning to turn inward again when I walk. In the first few weeks after my op, I was pleased to see that both feet were quite straight when I walked, but now the right one is gradually turning inward.

Is this shoe related or will my new hip automatically move the way the old one did?

I don’t need much arm twisting to buy myself a bunch of new shoes if that is the solution.

New shoes are generally suggested after hip replacement cause ones you were wearing before surgery have a wear pattern on them that might hinder your walking.
As women we don't need much of a reason to buy new shoes anyway!

@Jasmacc While I don't want to pretend to know why you are pronating I just can repeat what my PT told me when i did it. She warned me to conciously correct it. Pronating sends the wrong message from your brain to your foot and thus all the way up to the healing muscles in your hip.
all the best!!

@Jasmacc While I don't want to pretend to know why you are pronating I just can repeat what my PT told me when i did it. She warned me to conciously correct it. Pronating sends the wrong message from your brain to your foot and thus all the way up to the healing muscles in your hip.
all the best!!
That’s an excellent point. i feel like when my leg is weary, I tend to walk in my old comfortable style of turning my toes inward. I think new shoes and more concentrating on foot placement is what I should be doing,

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I'll bet you're breaking in some new shoes by now? :yes:
Sounds like no one had to make that suggestion twice. lol :wink:
Hope you're having a good week and I wish you many blessings in the New Year!
@Jasmacc

Hi Layla, thanks for your kind message.
Oh, yes, I certainly treated myself to a few new pairs of shoes …it was the least I could for myself :)

I feel like I’m progressing well, and I walk mostly without any cane now.

I’m going to have to tackle a set of stairs soon. I haven’t had any need to walk up or down any stairs in this past three months, and I’m not sure how I will fare. But as they say... “one step at a time”.

I hope you have had an enjoyable Christmas and wish you a safe New Year.

4 month progress report

im a tiny bit disillusioned with my progress at this stage.
I still feel like I’m sitting on a magazine or book on my operated side, and I’m aso still struggling with a limp.

i have only just begun to see a physiotherapist because my,surgeon was of the opinion it wasn’t really required. I felt a general weakness in the operated leg, so I sought out a physiotherapist and now have a string of exercises to,do. My balance was also in a bad way, so the physiotherapist is helping with that too. I don’t go crazy with the exercises and I only do as many ”good” ones as I can. Things like - dead lifting the leg, bridges, clams, and sit to stand.
We are also considering hydrotherapy for some additional help with walking.and limping.

The limp is worrisome. Especially when I first get up from a chair, the bed, or out of the car. I find I’m just “stuck” I have to really allow myself a big hitch and limp to get some momentum going, I then limp for a number of steps before the more fluid movements return. Is this usual?
Pphysiotherapist thinks it’s all lack of quads and glutes strength.
I find that if I use the cane for the first few steps, it’s much more comfortable, but I had hoped to be finished with the cane by the stage.

Does anyone have a similar story at the 4 month mark?

when I first get up from a chair, the bed, or out of the car. I find I’m just “stuck” I have to really allow myself a big hitch and limp to get some momentum going, I then limp for a number of steps before the more fluid movements return. Is this usual?
This is quite common and usually resolves over time. It's referred to as stutter steps. As for the limping, we normally recommend using an assistive device while you're still limping.
Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
Stay in touch!

1706764295673.png

I felt like I was sitting on a block for awhile, also still using a cane at this point.
Allow yourself some grace here and don't get discouraged.
I wanted to be done with the cane in May of 2022 cause we had a wedding to attend that was outdoors but I still needed cane.
I've said it many times here, best to walk with cane than to risk a fall.
And most of us also have that feeling upon rising that we need to take a step or two before we can actually get going.

My pain manifested in my growing and adductir too, and my ROM was horrible. Two years of PT on and off and eventually it wasn't doing anything, so I made the date. But I know what you mean about walking in with not a lot of actual pain.

My pain manifested in my growing and adductir too, and my ROM was horrible. Two years of PT on and off and eventually it wasn't doing anything, so I made the date. But I know what you mean about walking in with not a lot of actual pain.
Seems Like the majority of people in this forum awoke from their surgery feeling elated that they were no longer in pain. They still had their own recovery journey, but that initial feeling of hip pain had gone for them.
I didn’t feel that way. My hip pain, prior to the op, was spasmodic but my ROM was rapidly disappearing .
So , after 4 months, my ROM is very slightly better but is now hampered by weak muscles, that odd feeling of sitting on a brick and now I am limping from time to time.
I understand it’s a long journey, so I will keep up the physio and my spirits And hopefully be able to eventually move my leg in more directions than just
forward and backward. :)

I hope the physio does the trick.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
sophiawilson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom