January LTHR & RT Arthroscopic

Shortyrock

Country
United States United States
Hi forum. I am scheduled for my first ever surgery on January 30th a left THR simultaneously with a right scope for a labral tear.

I am terrified but ready to no longer live in pain as I have been struggling with this for over 10 years and am only 37.

In all your research have you heard of anyone having a scope in one hip while replacing the other all at the same time?

@Shortyrock Welcome to BoneSmart! Congratulations on scheduling your surgery!

I've been a mod on this forum for quite awhile and have not seen a THR plus scope scheduled. But I am sure it's not unheard of. The person that would know is our forum medical expert @Josephine . She has years of nursing experience in orthopaedics.

Of course you are terrified. We have all been in that space. Keep coming here and posting. Have read around the forum and in the Library. Tons of information for you including what you might need post op during recovery. I'll get you started with a few links.
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link: Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Thank you Jacey
I am interested in hearing from Josephine about having a scope done under the same anesthesia as a THR. Will she see this thread? I will most definitely take a look at those links you provided, thank you so so very much.

Will she see this thread?
Yes she will as I tagged her in my post. I removed your tag however as she doesn't need another tag her. As you can imagine she gets tons of tags on this site. She should be along soon.

Hi @Shortyrock. I had a right hip scope and labrum repair in 2011, along with microfracture. My recovery from that was different from my left hip replacement in 2015. Both of them together sounds ambitious to me, but I’m sure your surgeon has a good reason for it. I’m getting the right hip replaced on February 5 so our recoveries will be close together. This site is a wealth of resources. Don’t hesitate to ask questions.

Thank you @Josephine I am working on getting a second opinion and very well may reschedule the scope for another time.

Hi @MammaT thank you for your feedback. Let’s keep in touch-I’m so frightened-as this is my first surgery.

Completely normal to be afraid @Shortyrock. I agree with you seeking second opinion. Josephine is correct, the pain is totally different in the two surgeries. With the labrum/microfracure I was non weight bearing for 6 weeks. Despite all of the X-rays etc, sometimes they don’t really know what they will encounter until they can see everything. Both surgeries can help quality of life.

There is a lot of good support to be found on this site. Ask questions (no such thing as a dumb one), ask opinions, vent. You will make it through this!

@Shortyrock I was hoping Jo's advice would be not to do the scope at the same time. As she says, the members here who are in recovery from a scope have a very different journey. Recovery is a bit more complicated and can be more painful. I am very glad you are seeking a second opinion.

Please do keep us updated.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member