BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

January Jitters

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Annie19, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Annie19

Annie19 new member

Canada Canada
    Hello!
    I just got a date for my second hip replacement: January 8th. I know it is 2 months away but I’m already a bit nervous. For my first surgery this forum was really helpful - I was too shy to post, but I followed others and learned so much. Maybe this time I can help others a little.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Welcome back to BoneSmart as a member! Glad you decided to join us!

Almost every one is nervous before joint replacement, you at least have an idea of what is ahead of you. Don't forget every hip is different and recovers at it's own pace.

Here is some pre op information:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
    Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing hip recoveries

You can join the January Jackpots, where you will find other members going through THR the same time as you.
    https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...-are-you-having-hip-surgery-in-january.50458/

Please post the surgery date of your first THR, a moderator will add it to your signature for you. It will help us to have your complete joint replacement history, Thanks!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Honey, even I get nervous before surgery and so far I've had 8 operations in the past 9 years! But I try to remember a dear colleague of mine who came up with the brilliant notion that there was very little difference between excitement, stress and anxiety! Physiologically they are all the same thing. So we made a pact that in future as we passed each other at work, instead of saying "Isn't it stressful" we'd say "Isn't it exciting"!! And you know what - it worked!

• Like Like x 5
  4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @Annie19 :wave:
    Glad you are going to get this done very soon so 2019 can be your year!:egypdance:
    Which hip is being replaced?
    Could you provide the date of your first so we can add it to your signature and everyone will know you are officially a double hippy!
    We will be rooting for you next week!:ok:

5. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

Sending healing wishes your way. Since you’ve already had one done, you know how much better you will feel down the road. This will be a great way to start the new year with a new hip!!

6. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Annie19
    Not long now until your op. I had both hips done last year and found the 2nd one easier than the 1st. I guess it's because I knew what to expect.
    I was off the pain meds more quickly the 2nd time round too. That's not say that you should do that, but I was able to recognise more easily that I no longer needed them.
    Best wishes for the 8th

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Annie19

Annie19 new member

Canada Canada
    Hi everyone,
    So nice to hear from you - @Mojo333 I remember reading your posts after my first surgery, although I was too shy to post anything myself. Same with you, @GrannyC ! You are both so supportive - thank you.
    My left hip was replaced in April 2017, and this will be the right one next Tuesday. @Bionic I've crossed my fingers for a quicker recovery the second time around. I think the hardest thing last time was how blue I felt (probably the loss of independence, and the frustration at how the pain medication made me groggy), but knowing that this time might make things easier.

8. Mojo333

I bet it will help!
    Yep, the stark reality of a walker, a potty chair...all the things that make you feel informed...was pretty depressing.
    Many staff and members kept up the comforting mantra...All Temporary with a Remarkable Payoff!
    Two good hopefully Forever Hips!
    You've got this girl!:yes!:

9. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

@Annie19 Mojo and I both had our surgeries the same time you did. I don’t see a date yet in your signature but if you list it, someone will add it for you. I had mine April 27, 2017 and Mojo was one week later so we were on here recovering st the same time. I was fortunate to be able to cut back on the pain meds rather quickly and go to inky Tylenol. However, for close to 2 weeks after surgery, I couldn’t seem to focus on much. I had gotten books to read but during that first 2 weeks I couldn’t concentrate on the, so I spent endless hours on my IPad, with much of thatbtime on BoneSmart I think as I found so much help and support here. I was fortunate, too, that I like to sew so was able to get back at my sewing machine quickly and that helped me pass the time and avoid the blues. These cold winter days are a good time for recovery. Once spring starts to appear, you’ll be all ready for some good walks and good times outside. I’m not sure where you are in Canada but we might be almost neighbors as I live in northern NY state and maybe an hour driving time to Kingston, Ont.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Wishing you all the best tomorrow, Annie.
    I'm sure you'll do great. If you have time today, consider starting your post op thread on the Recovery side.
    We can leave the Recovery Guidelines there and your thread will be ready for you once you're post op.
    I'm sure you'd find some well wishers stopping by also.
    Wishing you comfort as you await tomorrow!
    @Annie19

11. Mojo333

Bye bye hip pain!
    See you on the Healing Side:friends:

12. GrannyC

GrannyC post-grad

Today is your big day! Sending good wishes your way!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1