THR Jan thread

What great advice. I went Yesterday to dr to remove clamps. I was suppose to just see the nurse but she had the flu so lucky me a PA took them out. Still ouch. He said the incision looked great. I am still using the walker but kinda leave near me as I move around my house. Not confident enough yet. We stopped at the store on the way home. My husband pushing cart. I supervised with my walker lol. The whole excursion wiped me out. The nerve pain is still there and my thigh is numb still. PA. Explained how the nerve was moved during surgery. I have a couple of friends who said they were back in the gym at
Swimming after 2 weeks Seriously I can’t even imagine

a couple of friends who said they were back in the gym at
Swimming after 2 weeks Seriously I can’t even imagine
Well they may have been silly enough to go to the gym that early out but I can guarantee they were not swimming. No OS would allow swimming at 2 weeks. Major risk of infection as the incision is still open.

Next time at the store use the cart as a walker, it works great, Just use the Purell wipes. I didn't have any stitches and my incision looked really good at 2 weeks but OS didn't want me in a pool or bathtub just yet. Going to the gym to watch other swim might have been about it at 2 weeks. It is interesting how many have different memories of recovery. Many also don't relate what doing things early on caused.

Congrats on the clamps removal! That is such a nice feeling to have that part over with.
Another step towards normalcy.

You just be you with your healing, no comparisons to anyone else. Your friends might think they were swimming at 2 weeks but if they had a journal to track things I bet they'd be embarrassed to find that it took much longer to get back in the pool.
They mean well, but still.

My son kept telling me about his friend who was back on the golf course in less than 4 weeks. I don't think so.

Last edited:
I was also wondering how long this tingles and numbness last in the thigh?? Thanks for the encouragement. I really need to listen to my own body.. the gym person owned our local curves perhaps a bit of bragging going on there. I agree with the pool I was told by dr at least 6 weeks. I am planning on returning to water work out the beginning of April. Sounds more reasonable on many levels

My surgeon cleared me for swimming after checking my scar at the 6-week appointment. He advised using the steps to get in and out of the pool, and building up the distance slowly and carefully. It worked, and at 12 weeks post-op I’m back to my previous swimming routine.

Definitely make sure your doc had cleared you, I was around 6 weeks, incision was totally closed. And as @longtimechemist says, use the steps getting in and out and build up your time and distance slowly. Sometimes we don't realise what a workout we're doing when we're in the pool, then we get out and go, oops! :ice:

the swift path method is changing how joint replacement are done by decreasing the length of stay, improving the patient experience and lowering costs. It focuses on the patient as the most valuable member of the recovery team.

I wonder if this is another name for the bundled Medicare approach, rather than the name of a surgical technique. More money to the hospital for taking better care of you, less if they do not, in the first 90 days. Something like that.

SuperPath is interesting ... here is a Chinese study. Per the study, the SuperPath method was developed In China.

Oops. Dr. James Chow’s undergraduate degree was from Stanford University in Engineering, product development, before he went on to medical school, in Chicago. Then he did a special fellowship with Dr. Stephen B Murphy, the SuperCap inventor (back in 2003). He is a co-inventor in the SuperPath surgery with Dr. Stephen B Murphy, of New England Baptist Hospital in Boston.

Their technique, is based on the original Path surgery of Dr. Brad Peneberg, ( Who has amazing medical education credentials with an office in Beverly Hills.)

Murphy was an undergraduate in mechanic engineering at Dartmouth. Brilliant folks. All American educated.

Short story, although patients could walk a bit sooner, unassisted, by one year, they were comparable to other surgery approaches. There are some other advantages, but not many independent studies to validate anyone surgical approach is better than another, with large groups of patients.

The research on the SuperPath technique you cited was performed in China, as a small comparison study. There is an on going study in Novia Scotia comparing the same “type” of this surgery, which goes by various names, including Direct Superior and Northern Approach, I believe, compared to the anterior approach, I believe. It may be funded by the NIH as a clinical trial. My memory is old on this.

I looked into Dr. Chow and Dr. Murphy before deciding on someone in my state who also does this technique, as Direct Superior/Northern Approach.

Ouch - yeah - my bad ... the quote I recalled incorrectly, was, "In 2014, the supercapsular percutaneously assisted total hip arthroplasty (SuperPath) was introduced to China."

To China not in China.

Whoops, sorry.

:hi:
I was also wondering how long this tingles and numbness last in the thigh??
My numbness was very prevalent for many months but the area that was numb got smaller and smaller as time went on. I assumed I might have some collateral numbness by 6 months but all normal now.
The tingles also dissipated with time but an errant fleeting zip or zap would catch me off guard many months out but again, all okay now.:ok:

Try not to worry about the unhelpful recovery stories. You are right, your body is in charge and slow and steady is the best route for thos recovery journey.

Good Morning. I am now 3 weeks from surgery. I finally moved upstairs to sleep at night. The recliner worked well but the bed. Aha nice to stretch out more. I am not doing the stairs by myself. My husband stays with me so I am alittle frustrated that I have to wait till he is available ☺️ I still have that annoying nerve pain in my thigh so I keep icing it. I am still using the walker. My niece who is a rehab dr said she prefers the walker over cane cause your body will heal straight. Cane walking people tend to bend more. I see the rational I do walk away from the walker in the kitchen I can use the counters for balance Again patience. Also I have had a lot of friends stopping by which helps Cabin fever is definitely setting in. Grrr. Hope everyone is doing well. I am reading lots of threads. Sorry girl needs a book deal lol

Yesterday I went for 3 week X-ray. Everything is looking good so I can do a few simple exercises. The nerve zings are getting less frequent. Again PA said Gapentin could be taken to help with that. However I still don’t want to take it. I am now taking only baby aspirin 1 AM 1PM. We will see how that goes.. I do feel like I am making progress the incision is healing nicely. I am walking away from the walker more and more doing some housework. Not too much lol. I even stepped outside to shoo away a few deer eating my hedge. Hope all are doing well at this stage

Great news. I discussed the disconcerting sensations with my BS folks and my OS, and Gabapentin was also discussed.
I decided to wait it out, like you and they eventually dissipated...with an errant zap:flabber: every now and then... so fleeting, by the time I could What the? It was gone.

Great to hear how you are doing...
Onward and upward, friend.

Good afternoon. I want to give an update!! This week is my 8th week. I went to dr last Thursday. He was very happy with my progress. I am walking pretty good. I still have numbness in my thigh down to the knee. He was surprised it was that far down, however feels it will lessen over time. I drove to the store yesterday on my own and did some shopping. I confess it tired me out. I have a pt script if I decide to use it. I am hesitant because of the cold flu etc running rampant in my area. I might wait a week and see. Hope everyone is on the mend and doing well!!

Happy Two Month Anniversary....two days early.
Thanks for sharing the update. It’s a good feeling to receive a nod from your surgeon that all is well. I’ll bet you enjoyed getting out yesterday even if it was tiring. I’m sure waiting on PT for a week or even more will be okay. Stay in touch and let us know how it goes for you.

Enjoy the rest of the week!
@Movinon/(3)

Splendid to hear you are doing well!!!:tada:
I had quite a big span of numbness that eventually got smaller and less numb.
By 5 months or so was barely noticeable, and at some point...when o forgot to notice it.. it was all back to normal.:) :-) (:
Good hips rock!

:hi: Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope your recovery is running smoothly. Wishing you a good week.
Take care, be safe, stay well! :SUNsmile:
@Movinon/(3)

:wave: Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hoping you’re well and feeling stronger week by week.
We‘d love to hear from you when time allows. All the best to you! :)
@Movinon/(3)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member