THR Jan thread

Movinon/(3)

Country
United States United States
I had total hip done jan 6. Anterior approach. I am experiencing burning pain down my leg. Not sure this to be expected. Anyone else have and how did you deal with it??

:wave: @Movinon/(3) and welcome to Bone Smart, lots of great folks here and lots of great information.

First can I ask which hip you had replaced? We'll get this added to your signature and it will make it easier for folks when they address your questions and concerns to know how far out you are.

Going to leave you our Recovery Guidelines here for when you're feeling up to reading them.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Movinon/(3) when you say burning pain, are you talking about along the incision? Is the area hot to the touch and/or red?

I know I used to feel like I had burning or tearing type pain around the incision that was basically just the soft tissue as it healed.

Thank you. I had my right hip done. Oct of 2018 I had my left hip done. I just don’t remember this burning pain last time. Same surgeon. Who by the way is very admired in my area. I maybe a bit impatient to get better. I am following the swift path method. I called the office and they called in gapanpentin which I am afraid to take. I am taking prednisone,Celebrex,Tylenol,(500mg) aspirin and 2 Hydrocoden a 24 period. I barely took any pain pills before surgery. Very aware of side effects of certain drugs. I also am using ice and elevating my leg. Any other ideas??

The pain is running down the It band on the outside of the leg

I was very surprised after my surgery to have the burning thigh pain. I guess I expected the pain would be up higher in the hip area where the ball and socket were. That spot felt pretty good, but it was my thigh and knee that hurt the most. So your description of the pain is similar to what I had. It was very weird, because there was a wide swath on either side of my incision that was (and still is in most respects) quite numb and quite tingly as well. But under that was the stinging, burning pain you describe at this stage of your recovery. Lots of ice should help, as well as getting up and moving periodically a bit.

Last edited:
:hi:
I certainly understand your anxiety as I had this same intense sensation a few weeks out from my BTHR.
I was frantically reaching out for an assurance from staff and members.

We always caution not to compare recoveries, even with your own.
I did both at once and at a point in my recovery from anterior bilateral THR, there Was an intense "burning" type pain as numbness dissapated.
All normal, friend.
Ice it up, and hang in there. :friends:
Healing hugs...this too shall pass...

Last edited:
OK, I'll bite..what is the swift path method? Any chance this might be causing your pain? IT band pain for me came from walking on uneven surfaces, uphills and downhills. IT band will burn and cause a burn at the knee cap. I'd ice and sit according to the guidelines and take the weekend off.

:flwrysmile:Hello @Movinon/(3) :wave: I had a bit of that feeling with my most recent THR. Then it changed to a very tight circular band type of feeling.. it felt like something was holding my leg back when I tried to swing it forward and take a step. All of that was totally different from my first THR on the other hip.
Mojo333 is correct, it does cause the mind to go to worrisome thoughts but I can honestly say that it does improve and get better.
We are all different so yours may take longer or hopefully a shorter time than mine did or maybe Mojo's did. We just have to practice working our patience muscle and do our best to rest, ice, elevate and eat as healthy as we are able to and let time work it's magic.

It's still very early days for you. I hope you stay here with us and let us know how you progress.

Thank you again for your input. I think it helps to know that you share some of the same symptoms.. the swift path method is changing how joint replacement are done by decreasing the length of stay, improving the patient experience and lowering costs. It focuses on the patient as the most valuable member of the recovery team. I have a booklet that I check off each day meds activity etc it also gives information on what to expect each day as I recover. Not sure the number of surgeons involved in this method. The only activity is a short walk each hour awake. Ankle pumps each hour and ice and elevation for each hour. I definitely will check in with my progress. Again thanks. Dressing comes off today.

I did a bit of research on the Swift Path Method and I like that the team is helping a patient avoid over medicating. I am curious, what do they say about the icing regimen?
Are you limited at all in regards to taking a stronger narcotic, if needed?
This is very interesting to me.
Good luck with the dressing removal, every step towards normalcy is to be celebrated!

I like the idea of a booklet to check off.I wonder if it is in part, driven by the Medicare bundled hip program, helping to keep costs down, and patients healthier.

The icing is every hour. I just leave there moving it till it thaws and I start again. They do provide narcotics but discourage using them unless you absolutely need them. I use hydrocodone, only 2 a day. The surgeon said he would give me 10 pills. As you know here in the states there is an opioid crisis so using them is frowned upon . I have used hydro several times in my life but never felt the need to use them randomly. I am not sure this method was Medicare inspired. Because of my age I did have to have surgery in a hospital. They do this in an outpatient facility for everyone else. By the way ❤️The booklet it keeps me on track!!

Hi @Movinon/(3) :wave:

Hope you are settling into a recovery routine and things are going well.
Hope you are discovering that though there is post op discomfort, that terrible hip joint pain is hone and things Will Get Well.:happydance:

I am making good progress. Slow and steady is my motto!!! I am finally able to walk (with walker). Without that wretched nerve pain. My thigh is still pretty numb though Yesterday stuck my head out the window for some fresh air. It was only 12 degrees out. I am looking forward to Monday. Clamps come out! If I feel up to it stopping at the store to get some groceries. I have been reading a lot of posts. Thanks for asking about my progress!

12 degrees, brrrr!:nah:

Slow and steady is an excellent motto!
Numbness will likely stick around for a bit so don't worry.
Glad you are able to get up and about a bit more. You are doing just fine.
Early days, my friend...all temporary.

Continued healing vibes coming at you.

You are making progress!! I agree with Mojo, the numbness will most likely hang around for a while.
My nurse and the PT also advised me to concentrate on activating (clenching) my thigh muscles when walking to help stabilize the leg and knee.
I don't know if that applies to you and your leg but it sure helped with mine.

glad to see you making progress,, but 12 degrees? brrr! Glad it was just you sticking your head outside for a few seconds. But then again, the cold would be good for that hip and leg. :heehee:
@Movinon/(3)

SuperPath is interesting ... here is a Chinese study. Per the study, the SuperPath method was developed In China.

Lots of advertising by various ortho surgeons and companies.

More studies ongoing with larger sample groups, as well.

My OS does outpatient with lateral surgeries and we were going to do that, but I turned 65 just prior to the operation.g

If SuperPath offers better outcomes ... yay!

Hi Movinon,
Expect to get all sorts of aches and pains x. I’m out the other side of two successful hip replacements with no pain at all and back at work full time after 3 months...... I put this all down to the experts on here.... I listened to all there advice and then followed it... it was that simple and I’m over the moon!!!
What I did - for the first month I did no physio as recommenced on here, I did little walking and I mainly rested with icing. After the 1 month I increased the walking and did a tiny amount of physio. After 2 months really increased my walking to 3000 steps and little physio!! I’m still not swimming or doing Pilates yet (I’ve the rest of my life to get into it). For now I’m walking around in work and holding down a full time job!!! I’ve no pain all is well xxx.

Hi Movinon,
Expect to get all sorts of aches and pains x. I’m out the other side of two successful hip replacements with no pain at all and back at work full time after 3 months...... I put this all down to the experts on here.... I listened to all there advice and then followed it... it was that simple and I’m over the moon!!!
What I did - for the first month I did no physio as recommenced on here, I did little walking and I mainly rested with icing. After the 1 month I increased the walking and did a tiny amount of physio. After 2 months really increased my walking to 3000 steps and little physio!! I’m still not swimming or doing Pilates yet (I’ve the rest of my life to get into it). For now I’m walking around in work and holding down a full time job!!! I’ve no pain all is well xxx.

Nicely said!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom