Revision TKR Jan’s new knees- 1 for the left-2 for the right<

@Irish471 I ration my few remaining oxycodones also. I live at the ODIC club. I’ve been in so much hip and back pain, but my knee has been doing really well. @liam2015 I started going to a new PT place. I told them I wanted help with learning to walk and for the first time in a very long time I’m being to think I just might be able to do it. It hasn’t happened yet, but it’s only been 2 weeks, but I’m hopeful. One of the exercises is to just stand from a low seat, no hands, that’s the only exercise that’s put any strain on my knee and I promptly told her that my knee wasn’t ready for that yet. But these hip exercises are murder. But as long as I don’t hurt my knee, I guess it’s ok?

My last doctors appointment was disappointing. I’m going to try attaching a picture. If anyone has any thoughts, I would appreciate it. Should I be concerned, my doctor wasn’t, even after I told him that I’m having a lot of medial side pain.

Attachments

• 8C5A44B6-E6AF-4E41-8672-48EA3726EA8B.jpeg
    8C5A44B6-E6AF-4E41-8672-48EA3726EA8B.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 287
Your knee cap looks tilted to me, ask your PT to do McConnell taping, it might help.
Sorry your OS did not give you an explanation about your knee cap.

@Pumpkln thank you for the suggestion. I’m no longer going to PT, so not sure if that’s an option. My doctor doesn’t want me going to PT , just walking. Will this tilt get worse? I’m still not able to go up or down stairs normally, although going down the stairs in a normal way is less painful than going up.

going down the stairs in a normal way is less painful than going up.
That's very unusual. It's usually the opposite way. It was at least a month after going up before I could go down the normal way.

Do you think you could tape yourself? You can google it to see how to do it. I bet it would help.

What could it hurt and it just might help!

Yesterday was my 6 month anniversary on the revision of this right knee. I wish I could say that I felt like I was making progress, but I feel as if I’m at a standstill, if not going backwards. This right knee is going to be the death of me!! I posted last month a picture of my “tilted kneecap “ that my doctor wasn’t the least bit concerned about. About a week after my appointment I received the radiologist report about the X-ray that was done at my last appointment. I’m going to try and upload a snapshot of the report. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. At my appointment I told my doctor that my knee had stopped being really painful up until a few weeks before my appointment, but had started hurting again. It’s continued to hurt. Every time I stand up, it feels almost the same as it used to feel when it was bone on bone.

Attachments

• 8E37EB60-B48B-4CF6-891C-9A89121AA6A2.jpeg
    8E37EB60-B48B-4CF6-891C-9A89121AA6A2.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 220
@Celle, do you have any comments for jboles about the report?

@sistersinhim thank you for tagging her. I’m just so frustrated and disheartened about this never ending recovery, I completely forgot to tag anyone. My left knee was such an easy and good recovery, so I know what a successful knee replacement is supposed to feel like.

You're welcome. I pray you can find an answer and a solution.

Oh my dear, you and I are sadly on a similar path with right knees. I wish I had some wisdom to share, but alas I do not. You would think at this point, 6 months in, you'd be seeing improvement. How much swelling do you still have? I'm just thinking if you have swelling that changes everything. Hang in there. Oct 2nd I'll be receiving my 3 revision of my right knee. Makes me sick to even think about it. Ugh.

The report says "There is minimal osteolysis about the tibial component and measure less than 2 mm." That means there's a very small amount of bone die-back - which is probably not enough to be significant. I wish Josephine was back so she could comment about that, because I'm not sure how much die-back does become significant..

There's also a small effusion (fluid collection) that contains some debris within the knee joint. That could be causing pain and irritation. I don't think the debris should be there.

Sorry to hear you're having problems still. Debris in the joint doesn't sound good at all, not that I know anything! I hope you get some answers and help soon. :console2:

@Celle thank you for looking at my report. I’m curious about how much die-back to be concerned about also. And the debris being in there too. What causes the bone to die-back?

What causes the bone to die-back?
I don't think anyone is 100% sure but, instead of making bone, your body seems to start to react against it and start re-absorbing (or resorbing) it. Some think it's like an auto-immune reaction. It's known to occur with some hip and knee replacements.

So for resorption, a good way to think about it would be be--- basically the body is trying to "clean up" bone cells it shouldn't be, which would ultimately leave tiny (but potentially increasing) gaps between the bone and the implant.

It’s been almost 4 months since I’ve posted. I had hope that by now this right knee would be close to being healed. I’m almost 10 months out. Back in June my knee started hurting again and X-ray did suggest some loosening even though my OS didn’t think so, and he still doesn’t. The end of November I noticed a red spot on my lower shin and after a couple of weeks I stated to get some pain in the area. Not hot though, so I wasn’t too worried. Was getting more painful so I called my OS and was able to see a PA. While walking into their office I developed an excruciating pain. Long story short, after X-ray and an MRI I have a tibial stress fracture in my lower tibia. I’m in an air cast for the past month and for at least another month, maybe two more. This just stinks. And wearing this brace is killing my knee! Just needed to vent...

Sorry to hear about your stress fracture, I can imagine your knee is not happy. :console2:
Wishing you continued healing.

@Pumpkln thanks for the hug. I would love to know what caused it? The doctor never really said why, just sort of “beat around the bush “ as the saying goes.

Jan, I’m so sorry to read this! As if you haven’t been through enough! :console2:

Have they confirmed the implant is not loose?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562