Revision TKR Jan’s new knees- 1 for the left-2 for the right<

3 weeks today- 1st outpatient PT today. My ROM is good 110/0, still using walker most of the time. I have a limp using the cane and I don’t want to go down that limping road again, so if that means using the walker a while longer then so be it. Told therapist my ultimate goal is to walk unassisted, he thinks that’s a realistic goal :yes!: I’m still worried, no, terrified is more like it, that my leg is going to be valgus again. I actually have nightmares about it and wake up in a cold sweat.

I’m still worried, no, terrified is more like it, that my leg is going to be valgus again. I actually have nightmares about it and wake up in a cold sweat.
:console2::console2:

I’m sure after that experience it’s hard to trust it won’t happen again. Hugs and prayers that all will be well.

I have spent the last 2 years with a fear of physical therapists. The fear has diminished since my second opinion appointment in February, but I think that is because further surgery and subsequent PT is off the table for now. Hopefully by the time I need surgery again the fear will not resurface.

I had a little mishap this evening. I’m bored, so thought I would paint for a while, I was home alone. Well I had the bright idea to put a pillow in my office chair. Big mistake. It raised me too high and when I raised up to remove it the chair rolled out from under me. So there I sat flat on the floor :dubious: I slid on my hinney to my steps and was able to get up that way. My husband was furious when he got home, with all the what ifs!! Other than a more than likely bruised hinney, I’m fine. Geez, I feel so helpless...

What happens in the painting room stays in the painting room, especially since you’re ok. I don’t think I would have snitched on myself unless I was caught on the floor. :angel:

I’m glad you’re ok. Sometimes the best of plans go wrong.

My husband’s desk chair rolls very easily on the non carpeted floor. It’s higher than I’d like and when I first sit in it, it rolls back several feet. I safely enjoy the ride.

Funny and yet not! Glad it worked out. You are blessed to have someone at home to care enough to be “furious.” I had a similar situation, but it involved trying to get off an air mattress. I finally gave up and got on the floor where I bawled frustratedly a few minutes until I, too, slid on my butt to a step where I could grab a door frame to pull up on. Such a humbling experience to be in that, “I’ve [sort of] fallen and can’t get up“ scenario!
Elaine

I’m really feeling discouraged today. I read back through my thread and about now seems to be a low point in my recovery. Well enough to want to do more, but not well enough to really do much. I’m 2 days shy of 4 weeks. My daughter and I have our annual beach trip planned for 3 weeks from now. I’m getting worried that I’m not going to be able to make it. I’m still using my walker, my quads are really weak and I limp when I use a cane. PT doesn’t want me to use a cane too soon and get into bad walking habits. I’m also worried about the dreaded low toilets in the motel. I’m cooking simple meals, loading dishwasher, making bed and a little laundry. Go to PT twice a week, but nothing strenuous. I work from home now, so I’ve been spending a couple of hours a day at my desk. I ice and elevate 2-3 times a day and use my ice machine every night. I usually only take pain pills at night, occasionally I take one during the day, but most days I can get by with just Tylenol. My PT said that he doesn’t believe my quad ever fully recovered from my original TKR and now it’s had to go through it again. Is what they are saying about limping without my walker correct? Is it caused by my weak quads on the right leg? If so, what’s the best exercises for me? I appreciate any information. I know this is a long post, just needed to vent a little, my DH is getting tired of listening :bored:

I bought a portable raised toilet seat from Amazon which was a life saver! It’s designed for use on a round bowl, but I was able to manage with it on an elongated in a hotel, I just had to remember to be careful, it did shift a bit but it was the best I could do.

(We paid extra for a handicap room and I was pretty mad to find a low toilet in there. Just adding a bar does not make it handicap, in my opinion.)

I know you get tired of hearing this, but give it lots of time for healing. :console2:

Have you tried elbow crutches? I used those and it kept my gate good and took the pressure off my knees. I have very weak quads also from never walking correctly and having 3 surgeries so close together. Im on a cane now - just. I’ve just started to do strengthening exercises to. I’m riding my stationary bike and put it on a harder level. I’m doing step ups on the stairs, wall mini squates hold 5-10 secs. There are a lot of exercises but make sure your knee is ready for them. Some I was given I can’t do yet, but I believe you have to exercise the quad if you want it stronger. Good luck I really feel for you.

Jan,
I’m so sorry you’re feeling down. I think I’m there myself already, but still a couple weeks out from my revision. I know what you mean about feeling folks in your life are getting tired of listening to it. Pretty sure that you’d agree we’re tired of going through it! Glad you’ve got an ice machine. I’m guessing you weren’t able to get BCBS to cover that! The insurance experts who decided it was a luxury item clearly have never had a joint replacement. I too am feeling discouraged because I’m wondering how I’m going to get through this alone. I hope your trip turns out to be surprisingly relaxing and that you gain more and more strength each day.

Elaine

P.S. I sent you a PM. I did go back and find out more about your particular metal allergens. They received my samples on Friday, so I’m counting the days until I receive the results.

Last edited:
@Jockette I’ve been thinking about getting one of those toilet seats from Amazon but I was worried about their stability. Good to know that they are manageable. It makes me crazy to request a handicapped room and discover that all they’ve done is add a handrail.

@Jolease no I’ve never tried elbow crutches. I’ve thought of 2 trekking poles. I just need a small amount of support on each side. I can walk with a cane, but after even a short distance my leg gets so weak that I start to limp, and that’s what I’m trying to avoid. My knees were severely valgus for a few years before my back surgery in 2016, so I’ve had an altered gate for probably 5 - 6 years. I feel like PT will start me on some more exercises next week, but my OS has put restrictions on them, I’m glad about that, but at the same time I want to be able to see some progress. I feel like this is the slowest recovery that I’ve been through.

@eelainea65 you are so right. I’m tired of this! I’ve actually been recovering from surgery for 3 years next month, it started with back surgery for me and I’ve had 2 knee replacements and now a revision. I had 4 major surgeries in less than 3 years. I have a love/hate relationship with my ice machine. Love how it keeps my knee nice and cold at night, but I’m a little claustrophobic, so I hate feeling tethered to it. I hope you’re not allergic to anything, but if you are, hopefully your surgeon will be able to choose an implant that will work for you. Whatever the results are, at least you can be assured that you have done everything that you possibly could to achieve the best possible outcome. And that’s all we can hope for. There are plenty of people on this site who’ve done this recovery alone, I’m sure they can give you some tips on how they were able to handle it.
I sent you a message back. I asked the allergy place to email my results to me, so much faster than “snail mail “.

i'm sorry you're feeling discouraged. you'll be that much better in 3 weeks, but still very early in your recovery. i don't know of any exercises to advise you with but i'm thinking you want to make sure not to overdo it until you're ready for the specific quad exercises. i think you're doing very well at home with the chores and also working from home at almost 4 weeks post op. i would continue with the walker as your p.t. advised and take it gradually. great idea to take one of those raised toilet seats to your rental place. i remember that as being very awkward when visiting friends at 12 weeks post op with the low seat. btw, where are you going for your annual beach trip with your daughter. it will be a wonderful time to rehab for awhile; hopefully lots of fresh air, sand and sunshine.:SUNsmile:

@liam2015 I think I’ll splurge and get one of those travel toilet seats. I have enough medical equipment for a drug store already, what’s one more thing :snork:
My daughter and I have gone to Myrtle Beach for probably 15 years now. It’s about 3 hours away, so not too far. It started as my Mother’s Day present from her and we went on that weekend. Now, her daughter has a father/daughter event the first weekend in May and that’s when we go. It’s nice for just the 2 of us to get away together, the last 3 years I’ve been recovering or getting ready for some type of surgery. Hopefully that’s done!

Question: I’ve had zero problems with my left knee, almost forget about it even. But since this surgery, my left knee has been hurting. In one spot. Please, please tell me it’s just tired and overworked :yikes:

4 weeks yesterday. I’m thinking of trying to drive this morning. I was helping my daughter with some accounting work at her law office 2 days a week before surgery and I know she desperately needs my help. She’s been hinting as to when I thought that I might feel like coming back. I was thinking of trying it today. I do have some serious concerns about my left knee, if one of administrators could offer some help I would appreciate it. How do I know if I’ve just overdone it? What would be the symptoms of a more serious problem?? How do you tell the difference?? Anyone???

sorry i can't help you other than to wonder if your left knee has been compensating for your right knee before and after the surgery and currently? sounds like a wonderful getaway trip you're going to have with your daughter in myrtle beach. hope it's nice and warm for you. hope you can figure out (or someone) what's going on with your left knee.

Your left knee may be just complaining about all the extra work it's had to do, but it might also be the start of something more. I guess the only way to find out is to have it X-Rayed.

Thanks @Celle I go for my six week checkup on May 1st, if it’s still hurting I’ll request an X-ray. Hopefully it’s just complaining :swoon:

I bet it is just complaining. My old knee got really bad during my right's recovery. As right took on more of my weight, the old one eased up some. I hope that's all yours is.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back