Revision TKR Jan’s new knees- 1 for the left-2 for the right<

Thanks for the photo. We'll see what @Josephine has to say when she comes on the forum. If you're in a recliner, you may need some extra pillows to get your toes above your nose for the elevation.

i am so happy for you that your surgery went well. sorry about the swelling and redness, hope you can get that sorted.:flwrysmile:

I've had that type of bandage my last several surgeries. When it comes time for it to come off, instead of pulling it like a band-aid, instead get under the dark part and stretch it out. Do that the entire way around and your leg will thank you for being gentle with it. As for the redness, it's nothing that I've seen nor had. I would watch it since we are going into a weekend. If it changes I'd make a phone call.

Hang in there - you healing now.

Thanks @Jamie I do have some extra pillows, but I was more upright to get a better picture. I’m happy to report that it’s not nearly as red this morning.

I believe I may have been up too much yesterday. I took a shower and washed my hair and walked through the house a couple of times. I don’t have nearly as much pain this time so I’ve been thinking I’m more recovered than I really am.

@eaglemom the home PT has always removed the bandage and that’s exactly how they do it. Otherwise I think it would take skin with it, cause it’s really stuck!

@Jockette yes they put the instructions where you can’t loose them :heehee:

I’m glad it has settled down a bit.

I suspect you've discovered the reason for the redness. You have a very infant knee here that needs some TLC for a few weeks yet. A shower is a big deal and that plus some walking could have made it cry "UNCLE!!"

That's entirely correct. In response to the picture, I was going to say that it just looks like a form of bruising.

Thank goodness the red isn't as dark today!

I had a spacer replacement and removal of adhesions. I was so fed up with rehab, that I was a terrible patient, but then, I just decided to give in and let the knee heal. If you think about it two or three months is a small price to pay for years without pain!!

My body is definitely telling me I need rest. After lunch I haven’t gotten really exhausted the past 2 days. Now, I’m not doing anything other than going to bathroom and showering every other day. I try to walk a little whenever I get up. The exhaustion feels like it did after my first TKR when my iron was low. I’m going to have them check my stored iron levels at my next appointment. But on a much brighter note, my gait and balance is sooooo much better :loveshwr:

Hi Jan,
You've been through another major surgery, so it's natural that you'll feel exhausted all over again. I'll give you the recovery articles again - be sure to check the one about Energy Drain for TKRs.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I’ve been really restricting my pain medicine, you only get a 5 day supply here, and I was trying to stretch it out until my doctors appointment next Wednesday, which will be 15 days after surgery. After last night I finally gave in and requested a refill today. I woke up a 2 am, took 5 mg of Oxy, but I couldn’t get it to ease off enough to get back to sleep. So I got up, headed to my recliner with an ice pack and a blanket, finally dozed off about 4 o’clock, then back awake at 5 o’clock. Rode with my husband to the drugstore, got pain meds and picked up some lunch. It was good to get out of the house, it was a beautiful spring day here. Hopefully tonight will be better. Right after I went to bed last night, I don’t know if it was because I was under medicated or if I really did pull something, but I moved a little in the bed trying to get comfortable and it was like my leg didn’t move, it was a really uncomfortable feeling. Almost felt like knee joint pulled apart. I don’t think that’s possible, but I screamed out. It’s been really sore all day.

These opioid restrictions are awful and are hurting the ones that need them the most. Addicts will get them one way or the other. Surgical patients have to beg for a refill and are treated like druggies. I'll be so glad when the media gets off this and on to something else.

You must have moved your leg wrong and angered your already angered knee. I'm so sorry you did this. You know the routine. I pray it helps your knee to settle down. Maybe you can get out and sit in the sun. That's always a mood lifter this time of year.

Had PT on Friday, she looks at incision and she thinks it looks like my skin is reacting to the stitches. I have what looks like small red bumps where the stitches are. I’ll be glad to get them removed on Wednesday. I’ve only had glue with just one stitch on both of my TKR’s, but with this revision I’ve got glue and stitches the full length of the incision, both sides. The OS sent in a refill for pain medicine, so I’ve been taking as prescribed. I’m able to do more when I’m rested and not so uncomfortable all the time. Therapist also said my pelvis/hips wants to turn in on the right side so I’m working on that. So much to think about to just walk :thud:

Thank goodness for pain medicine! I would love for every lawmaker, or whoever is trying to limit pain meds for us, to have a TKR. Their tunes would change and allow our drs. to take better care of us. It is great that resting is helping your knee. It must be hard to be patient since you want to get back to normal but we all hope you'll take your time and rest when you can. That grand baby will be here before you know it! Do you know what they are having?

We just had the reveal party yesterday....it’s a girl! And yes, July will be here quick! I’m so anxious to walk normally again and I’m really hopeful that I will be able to. My leg feels more “normal “ than it has in years. :prayer:

Ah...pink!!! How exciting! Before our grandson was born, I got a book and learned to knit. It was just a simple blanket but I really enjoyed making it. Maybe you could make one while you're recovering. There are all kinds of places online to order yarn. Sorry to be trying to fill your time. But loving your "normal" knee. You could write a book.

Congrats on Pink! I have 3 grandsons. I’m glad your leg feels normal. Unless you’ve gone through this no one understands the challenges. I think that’s terrible they give you such small amounts of pain relief! I couldn’t imagine not being fully medicated the first couple weeks. The opioid crisis is here to but not near as strict as the states and other places.

I saw my doctor today to get my stitches out. Uncomfortable, but not painful. I hope the constant itching will go away now. I can shower now without a trash bag and tape, hallelujah! I’m always scared of falling with a slick trash bag on. Said everything looks good, ROM is good, no measurement, just eyeballed it. Told me I was trying to wean off pain medicine too early, only taken it at night for the past two days. I came straight home and took a pill and had a nice nap! Doctor said let them know if I need a refill. Also checked my stored iron count. It’s not nearly as low as it was a year ago, but it is a little on the low side. Guess I need to see about this tomorrow.

Told me I was trying to wean off pain medicine too early, only taken it at night for the past two days. I came straight home and took a pill and had a nice nap! Doctor said let them know if I need a refill.
Awesome! How many members tell us this!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp