Revision TKR Jan’s new knees- 1 for the left-2 for the right<

@Josephine I know this is probably a silly question, but when my OS removes the all poly tibial component and cuts the tibia to correct the alignment of my leg, how do they keep the legs the same length? I definitely don’t want one leg to be shorter!

I know this is probably a silly question
jboles, on this forum there is no such thing!

It's unlikely the surgeon will need to recut the tibia for the new implant. Worst case scenario is that he might have to trim the edges a tad. But rest assured that any decent surgeon will have, as a high priority, the checking of the leg for stability, length and comparison to the other leg. I can assure you this is not something they are cavalier about!

@Josephine thanks. He told me at my last appointment that it would be necessary to “trim off the tibia “ in order to correct the valgus. I’m just a bit worried and I sure want it to be done correctly this time.

Well when it all comes to it, nothing we say here is going to make a scrap of difference. You're just going to have to trust him. There's really no way we can be sure it's done correctly but honestly, the chances really are that it will be.

Wow @Josephine Thanks, I guess this will be my last post. I’m sure I’m not the only one that has worries, and I’m sure this post will be removed.

I do want to thank @Jockette , @sistersinhim and @SusieShoes for all of your kind words and help the past 2 years. I didn’t plan on knee replacements going on so long, i sure didn’t plan on a revision, I guess no one does. I’ve recommended this site to many and will probably continue to do so. I’ve just come to the end of my journey on here though. Best wishes to everyone.

@jboles I totally understand how worried you are about this revision. I feel the same way about my knee. Something is wrong with mine but I have no visual proof. I have asked myself the same thing, when revision time comes for me, how will I trust that surgeon.

Anyone who has a revision has it because something wasn’t right. It’s so hard to trust that it will not happen again. In my case there are times I’ve felt betrayed, I was led to believe partials had a quick recovery. It’s been 2 years and not only am I not recovered, but something is wrong.

We can read all about revisions fixing things, and people can tell us that the surgeon is good at his job, but the fear of another problem may always be with us. But we need to go ahead with the revision because the current problem needs to be fixed. We’ll need to have some level of trust, or at least cautious optimism, that our problem can be corrected. I wish there was a pill for that trust/cautious optimism, but it’s going to have to come from us.

I hope my next surgeon doesn’t ask me point blank if I trust him. I won’t be able to honestly say yes.

I hope you’ll continue to stay with us. We all care about you and we need each other through this difficult journey. :console2:Sometimes when we write something in a post it comes out differently than we meant it. I’ve had some of my posts misunderstood. What I meant as encouragement didn’t end up coming across that way.

Thanks, I guess this will be my last post. I’m sure I’m not the only one that has worries, and I’m sure this post will be removed.
Please don't go. We all care about you and what you are going through. Many of us are unhappy with our new knees and are worrying that something is wrong. Even Josephine is facing a revision next week. But, at least you two are having something positive done about your knees. Those of us that don't have any answers are left swinging and a think string and are just waiting for it to either get better or get worse. Yours is going to get better! You're not hanging in limbo anymore.

Again, please don't leave us. Many of us make mistakes while typing or it all comes out wrong. I recently learned that many people thing that an exclamation point, (!), can be taken as a strong, negative statement. Never did I ever think that. I always viewed it as a smile.

please don't leave. the recording of your experiences here is so valuable to others following the same path. wishing you all the best on your next surgery and look forward to hearing from you.:flwrysmile:

@jboles
I am the queen of miswriting . I communicate better by voice than writing,blogging is not my strong suit. Don’t leave, everyone has value in their experiences to share.

Hi,
I'm popping over from where I usually hang on the hip side. I'm a lurker here at times feeling I don't have much to offer never experiencing knee issues, myself,....that's yet anyway.

I get the impression you're beloved here, your opinion is valued and your experiences have benefited others.
Hopefully you'll reconsider your decision to move on.

Communication can be difficult sometimes, especially written communication. We can't hear any inflection in the writers voice, nor view their facial expression. In my opinion all Jo was communicating is that no matter what any of us offer, what will be, will be. Adding that the likelihood is that all will work out for the best. And most likely it will.

Sadly, going into surgery can feel like a gamble. We hope and pray for the best and in most cases it all works out to our advantage. I'm gathering you have a lot of support here through well wishes, good thoughts and prayers. Not one of us is indifferent to you achieving the desired outcome. Especially Josephine, who made a career out of assisting in surgeries that offered others a second chance while comforting and holding the hands of those who were anxious along the way. We're ALL rooting for you and hope you'll allow us to offer support and encouragement as you move toward surgery and cheer you on through your recovery.

Prayers for your comfort, peace of mind, a successful revision and perfect healing.
@jboles

Last edited:
Wow @Josephine Thanks, I guess this will be my last post. I’m sure I’m not the only one that has worries, and I’m sure this post will be removed.
Why? What did I say that was wrong. What did you think I meant?

@jboles, please don’t go! Tonight I spent my evening reading your entire journey, as I suspect I may end up going down this revision train, also.
I was so upset to read your last posting. Although, my journey down this “road” started in August of last year, at seven months - and also after trying everything my surgeon suggested- I , too, am in worse pain than I was before surgery. My last x Ray results read suspiciously like yours- talk of “effusions” and “ loose bodies” (mine in a Baker’s Cyst that was supposed to “go away” after surgery -but is still there and even larger).
But through all of this , you have honestly reported your feelings (and they are so similar to my feelings!) that I have wanted to reach through my iPhone and hug you, as I know exactly how you feel! And you have still found an ability to encourage all the rest of us who suffer. You are in my prayers tonight and I ask you, again, please keep posting! Thank you for your honesty and please don’t lose hope.
Kathy

I’m back. I need to apologize to @Josephine after reading back I realize that I was overly emotional and took some comments not in the manner in which it was intended. Forgive me for my rash statement, please. My surgery is Monday and I’ve really been missing all of my support team on here.

Aww, what a sweetheart you are. I'm sure Josephine understands.

This isn't your first rodeo so I don't need to tell you it's an emotional time but most of us can certainly relate. I'm happy you're back and I'll be popping over to watch your recovery journey unfold and offer some support, hugs and encouragement. I hope you have a lovely weekend. I wish you comfort and only the best on Monday.
@jboles

So glad to see you!!! :console2:

Best of the best wishes for Monday!

@Layla and @Jockette thank you both. I have been very emotional and worried. Nobody wants to have a revision but I also want to be able to walk for more than a few minutes without my leg killing me, so I’m going through with this and hoping and praying that my OS will get it straight this time. I know I’m going to need a lot of PT to relearn how to walk correctly. And I have a new grandbaby that’s due in July, and I want to be able to carry the baby around. Like I am now, my balance is so off without my cane, and with my cane I wouldn’t feel comfortable walking and carrying an infant.

Go easy on the PT in the beginning, remember, heal first. Don’t do anything that hurts.

Your gait has been off because your leg was misaligned. When that is fixed I think your gait will be much better by default.

I’m going to give you the Recovery guidelines early as a refresher instead of after your surgery.

Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

@Jockette I sure hope you’re right!:prayer:
Me, too!

Seriously, don’t rush the PT. Find a gentle therapist who will address your swelling and who will encourage you. There are therapy places practically on every corner these days. Find one that you really like. Don’t let them tell you that you need umpteen exercises.

It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

Nobody wants to have a revision but I also want to be able to walk for more than a few minutes without my leg killing me, so I’m going through with this and hoping and praying that my OS will get it straight this time.
@jboles Thank you so very, very much for your message. But please be assured that I do understand. It might give you a chuckle to know that I am now facing a revision myself because my implant has loosened. So I know what you mean when you say 'nobody wants a revision'! God bless us both!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back