Revision TKR Jan’s new knees- 1 for the left-2 for the right<

almost all of my swelling is on the outside of my knee and behind the knee. Very little on the front of the knee or inside. What causes this and is there anything specific that I can do for it? It is swollen so tight and hard it almost feels like bone.
Gravity has an effect on swelling, as Pheebs said. Ice the back of your knee as well as the front, and elevate your leg as high as you can.
When you're up and about, the swelling and bruising will also move down to your ankle - gravity again. So, use gravity, to help the swelling move higher up your leg, by elevating, and the excess fluid will start to be absorbed again.

Stomach issues are much improved today. Trying to take pain medicine as prescribed today. Getting ready for PT. If I'm not too worn out may see if DH will take me for a short ride just for a change of scenery.

So much for doing anything after PT. she added a new exercise that I won't be doing again. Could not get pain under control last night and still not much better today. I called OS nurse today to ask about the exercise, she said not to do it. It was a heel slide that when you go as far back as you can then you lift foot off bed and bring knee back toward chest. Doesn't sound too hard describing it, but it was a killer!!

Boy, these PTs get creative. Early on, your knee isn't going to like being unsupported like that. Poor thing just wants to be left alone. My OS sent a video with recommended exercises and I wouldn't do any in PT that weren't on the video. Believe me, that one you just did wasn't on it. Hope you're treating your knee to some nice ice and elevation. :ice: Did you ever get that car ride for a change of scenery?

No change of scenery yet, but I've been icing and elevating most of the day. I just asked DH if we could take a ride and pick up dinner. I'm sure he'll be glad to have a break from kitchen duties!

Are you going with him? It would probably do you good if you could ride in the backseat and elevate on pillows.

Actually got out for an hour or so. Where we live is known for BBQ, there's a restaurant not too far from our house that has the old timey drive in where you place your order and they bring your food out and you eat in the car. It was nice to be normal.

It's such a difficult road w people who don't understand TKR. Everyone expects you to be "back at it" in 2-4 weeks and if you aren't, it's surely bc you must be lazy and not doing your exercises. Luckily the only one who truly needs more info (my spouse) gets it. But it gets tiring explaining it to everyone else who just blathers nonstop about "doing your PT". I've decided I don't need pt this time either. But I'm progressing. Just not as fast as everyone's imaginary uncle's neighbor's 87yr old friend who was back at work 3 days after bilateral TKR. :old:

I understand what you mean. Everyone knows someone who got along great, but they did those torture exercises. Unfortunately, my family members are the ones who are giving me the most grief. After last night when my husband saw what therapy did to me I think he might be a little more understanding.

I know it's hard, but do try it ignore the well meaning, but misguided, advice from family and friends.

Don't try to argue about it. Just smile and say something neutral, like "Yes , dear," or say "I am" when they ask if you're doing your exercises. You don't have to go into detail. They're trying to be helpful, but they just don't understand.

(((jboles))) Crud! I had a terrible Home PT who tried that with me during my first week post-op and I thought she was breaking my leg. Needless to say, I ended up like you. I discontinued her *services* very soon afterwards and it was the best move for me. Here's to a better night and better day tomorrow!:cheers:

Hurrah for getting out of the house! I have outpatient PT and actually look forward to going just to get out of the house and see someone other than DH! I had to stop my PT from trying to move my kneecap while I still have staples! Ouch! I look soooooo forward to getting the staples out Monday! Hope you have a great weekend!

Glad you got out of the house. I love BBQ! I used to live in NC and miss that BBQ. Just getting in and out of the car is plenty of exercise at this point.

Cancelled my PT for today. Maybe by Monday I'll be better, but it will be very easy at my pace. My DH talked to some of his buddies who have had TKR and they told him my therapist was too aggressive, now he believes me, arrrrg!

Of course . . . .guys have to hear it from other guys as they assume that us womenfolk are just soft. You should read the cute story on @Pheebs52 thread about her landscaper who had TKR asking her if she cried - I guess he had overly aggressive therapy that brought him to tears for days. Glad you are taking a break for the weekend and will go at your pace from here on out.

You'll still be getting PT this weekend doing your ADL. Don't overdo those, either.

Today is my 2 week knee anniversary. Yesterday was my DH birthday. Family came over for a cookout, enjoyed seeing everyone but I was not having a great day. Started running a low grade fever and developed a red place on side of knee. My daughter took a picture and emailed to OS. He called and said it looked like a bleed to him. Told us to make sure it didn't get larger and fever didn't go over 100, it hasn't on both accounts. He said it was probably caused by over zealous PT, you think... I told her about it today and we went really slow.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back