Revision TKR Jan’s new knees- 1 for the left-2 for the right<

You're doing great! I wouldn't worry about any clunking or popping sound. Odd new sounds kind of come with the territory, along with odd new twinges, pains, aches, and other sensations. Chocolate, I hear, is the prescribed treatment for some of them! :chinstroke:

Sounds like we are on similar paths! My nerve block wore off yesterday afternoon and last night. What a booger! Ugh. Hang in there...we will both be better soon! Take the meds and stay ahead of the pain. I have outpatient PT this afternoon!

Your range of motion is fantastic for so soon post surgery. Don't worry about the sounds coming from your knee. the sounds are normal and may completely disappear as you heal.
It's not at all unusual for your knee to make noises. It's normal and it happens because, instead of the relatively softer bone and cartilage, you now have hard metal and plastic parts moving over one another.
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

I am right with you on the death by chocolate ! Right up there with fries with mayo on my Belgian fav things to eat!
Your numbers are super - take care of them - nurture them !

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I now understand what everyone means by the ODIC club and I'm paying for it this morning. Also I'm having a itchy reaction the oxy they prescribed. It also hypes me up so I can't sleep. My DH has driven the hour one-way trip back to the doctors office to try and get them to change meds to the Percocet I took for my back surgery. He carried my old bottle with him. They said it was a different manufacturer and that might be the issue. So now he's driving another 30 minutes out of the way to our regular pharmacy to get new script filled. I'm gonna owe him big time!

Whoopi, what wonderful numbers! Don't get discouraged if they go down some. This is an up and down journey. So much of your movement depends on the amount of swelling you have. As you do more, the swelling will go up and your numbers will go down. That's why we stress to not worry about the numbers. It's what you can do that counts!

Oh I'm expecting the numbers to go down. This swelling is really something. I know I've got to take it one day at a time. Thanks for all the support.

What to do when your own family "pushes exercises ". Seems like they have a one track mind. I just want to sit in my recliner or lay in bed with foot propped up. My leg feels like it's going to pop! Taking a shower and washing my hair was awful. I had to lay down in the bed before I could get dressed. I'm sure I took my husbands head off at the shoulders and spit it out back at him! Both my children visited this afternoon and they both said as they were leaving, don't forget to do your exercises! Really?!

What to do when your own family "pushes exercises ".
Just smile and say something like "I am, dear." They think they're helping, but you don't have to discuss it with them.

My Mom does this. She had her knees replaced years ago, so she always reminds me to do my exercises. Fortunately, she lives half a country away. I just tell her I'm exercising and doing great. They only know what you tell them. :SUNsmile:

At first I tried to explain that I was not taking PT, just doing my own rehab. Everyone would look at me like I was crazy! After that, I just smiled and said that I was doing it. That made everybody happy, including me!

Week one of this journey is behind me. I've had better weeks, can't say I've had worse though. PT was here yesterday. She removed the bandage, I will try to post a picture. Looks better than I expected. She tried to push my leg to get better ROM. I made her stop. As she was leaving she suggested that I put my foot up on one of the stairs to do a mild lunge, I said I would not be doing that without approval from my doctor. I HATE PT. After daily stool softener, Miralax and laxative two nights in a row...nothing... PT recommended warming 2 parts prune juice to one part apple juice then stir in a dose of Miralax and drink. I did and I thought I was going to die! Let's just say it definitely works....

Well, now I know what to take for constipation. Sorry you had to go through that.

Your reply to the PT was spot on. That's the same answer I gave my PT when he kept pushing leg presses. "My doctors says no." I only did exercises recommended by my OS in his little email updates: This Week in Your Recovery... Kept PT off my back. And you did right to not let the PT push your leg. If it hurts, don't do it.

oh dear jboles. i hear ya about the constipation and then the opposite. natural black liquorice is what i changed to after the diarhhea got so bad from the anti-constipation meds. hope you can get back to normal (regular) soon.

Question... almost all of my swelling is on the outside of my knee and behind the knee. Very little on the front of the knee or inside. What causes this and is there anything specific that I can do for it? It is swollen so tight and hard it almost feels like bone.

@jboles, good for you for making the PT stop pushing your leg. When, in the hospital, PT reached reached for my leg and I said, "No, don't touch my leg!" I refused at home PT and never took any at all. I have done just fine without it. And this was after all my 11 knee surgeries! Doing your daily activities is enough to rehab your knee. Getting up every hour or so to walk and take a bathroom break or get a snack is good therapy for your knee. There's no reason to force it to do anything. You force it, and it will react with pain and swelling. Your knee needs to heal now, not to exercise.

I think the swelling will be where most of the work was done. It's not unusual to have 'traveling' pains. Here today and someplace else tomorrow.

@jboles My swelling was also really noticeable on the outside edge and behind the knee. I was told by the surgeon's PA that this was just normal post-op swelling.

Just catching up with your posts and boy, you've had quite the week! But,.... and this is very important, you haven't lost your sense of humor! Brava! Week Two will be...er...similar, but you'll have Week Three to look forward to and it's so much better for many of us! Hang in there, and please, keep those bowels happier in another manner; aaccck! I don't like your PT or her recipes either, lol!

I don't know if this is fact or fiction, but I was told by *someone*...forget who...that swelling behind the knee, of which I had a surplus, is caused primarily by spending so much time on our backs. I guess the fluid just has no where else to go. Once you are up and about more, it should dissipate. Mine improved a lot during the miraculous Week Three.:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member